1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 884     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can't get a two stop subway that's obviously sufficient for Scarborough, you lefties are getting nuthin' at all! Truly an indication of Ford's governing powers.

Ford vows to scuttle LRTs

1331837701626_ORIGINAL.jpg

BY IAN ROBERTSON, TORONTO SUN
FIRST POSTED: SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 2012 05:21 PM EDT | UPDATED: SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 2012 05:29 PM EDT

No subway expansion, no LRT!

That was Mayor Rob Ford’s vow Sunday — three days before city council is to vote on choosing between building more below-ground public transit or street-level systems.

Predicting a “close” vote Wednesday, Ford said he would prevent Light Rapid Transit above-ground lines if council rejects what he wants — constructing an extension of the Sheppard subway.

But he announced “if we don’t get the subway ... we’re not going to waste people’s money and build an LRT.”

Speaking on his weekly Newstalk 1010 radio show, the civic leader warned that if city council went ahead with LRTs, Scarborough passengers would face “another St. Clair disaster.”

Some of his east-end subway guests on the show, plus the majority of callers, said they would rather stick with streetcars or buses than new LRT lines.

Citing the over-budget, centre-road St. Clair Ave. LRT line, a caller named Norm said “it’s been a complete mess,” with traffic snarls and “plenty of empty stores.”

Subways Are for Everyone (SAFE) guest Li Chiu said Scarborough residents have “been waiting 30 years for subways.”

Chiu said TTC chairman Karen Stintz “declined our invitation” to a 7 p.m. Monday public information meeting at Scarborough Civic Centre.

Ford urged listeners to attend, learn about LRT “misinformation,” and press councillors to back the subway plan.

Ford said “we have $1 billion” to extend Sheppard’s subway system east for two or three stations, adding “we could get the shovel in the ground.”

Once the city shows it can start the long-delayed project, he and Councillor Paul Ainslie, his co-host, predicted investors would help bankroll more subway construction by developing commercial and residential infrastructure along the routes.

A council-appointed expert panel recommended on Friday that city council go ahead with an LRT system.

Former city councillor and talkshow guest Dr. Gordon Chong, said the appointees were deliberately chosen by councillors who wanted light-rail supporters.

“To say it wasn’t pre-ordained is stretching people’s beliefs,” Chong said.

He said last week that other members were blocking the release of a pro-subway report.

“I’m hoping saner minds will prevail” at the vote, Chong said. “Underground with a subway is the cost-effective way for public transit.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/18/ford-vows-to-scuttle-lrts

Last edited:
Scorched earth tactics and holding everyone hostage on the basis of not getting a 2 station extension? Well, that certainly sound like what someone who truly believe in the importance of public transit would do. In that case it is high time to scuttle his mayorship - as if it hasn't ran aground already in any case. Time to put that sad bag out of the misery of governing. And no offense to Dr. Chong - how is it different from you being chosen on the premise that the mayor wanted subways? Hell, you even got paid by the taxpayers for it without a competitive bidding process.

As to said callers - like I have said before - users of public transit will ride what's available so long as it make sense for them to do so, subways or no subways. Anyone who suggests right now that they "stick to" one thing or another without evaluating the actual benefit to them at the end of the day is just huffing and puffing.

AoD

Last edited:
I usually catch The City with the Ford brothers on Sun as I used to catch it when Josh Matlow hosted it and today missed it but I went to the podcast and noticed it does not show up. The last show is shown as airing Feb 19 with Josh Matlow. Does anyone know what happened? Have the Ford brothers gotton tired after doing the show I think only for 3 weeks

I usually catch The City with the Ford brothers on Sun as I used to catch it when Josh Matlow hosted it and today missed it but I went to the podcast and noticed it does not show up. The last show is shown as airing Feb 19 with Josh Matlow. Does anyone know what happened? Have the Ford brothers gotton tired after doing the show I think only for 3 weeks

The podcasts are there: http://www.newstalk1010.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=2443

RT:

Not really. What will get one banned is non-stop ranting about a single topic in every single thread one participates in, which unfortunately is what haters have a tendency to do on here.

AoD

Godwin's Law revised: Not only will Rob Ford eventually be compared to Mussolini, even suggesting his execution won't raise an eyebrow.

"The best communication is none"

I think this bizarre statement might be the unofficial stance of the entire Ford campaign. I guess we should thank that eponymous communications expert that Ford just happened to run into, whoever he is, for this wondrous speck of advice.

Last edited:
If we can't get a two stop subway that's obviously sufficient for Scarborough, you lefties are getting nuthin' at all! Truly an indication of Ford's governing powers.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/18/ford-vows-to-scuttle-lrts

Ford's continued whining over losing control of the transit agenda and subsequently immature, blustery statements about "scuttling" LRT's is hilariously idiotic considering that he doesn't have the power to carry out such threats whatsoever.

"The best communication is none"

I think this bizarre statement might be the unofficial stance of the entire Ford campaign.

It's also bizarre considering it comes from a guy who just started co-hosting a radio show.

But I don't think we can really call it "bizarre" when we factor in who said it. It would be bizarre if he said something intelligent or insightful.

That little obnoxious hockey commentator whatsisname cherry looks rather on the pink-faced side of things himself. They both look like they are about to expire. We can only hope.

Ever noticed how pink/ruddy RF always looks? He must be a pinko!
I really think RF's agenda all along was to not have any transit built. The subway thing was just a way to legitimize his real intention.

That little obnoxious hockey commentator whatsisname cherry looks rather on the pink-faced side of things himself. They both look like they are about to expire. We can only hope.

Nation Once Again Comes Under Sway Of Pink-Faced Half-Wit
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-once-again-comes-under-sway-of-pinkfaced-ha,18076/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back