630     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 552     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 466     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met with one TPS source today before the debate. They've heard the locker room rumours of Ford's imminent arrest. While they wouldn't pinpoint a date for his arrest, they said that they've got him and an arrest can happen any day now. It's merely one call away.

Tomorrow would be lovely. Wipe our brains after today's garbage bag debate.

It is a sad state of affairs when the best candidate at dodging questions is declared the winner of a "debate". I must say that Gord has really gone down hill in personality, it would have been better if they had Paikin. Bell was the real winner sell the ads in the slot.

I must say that I was worry until Robbie started giggling like a school girl, that's one of his tells that he no longer controls the scrum/debate.

I was working today and didn't get to see the debate. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Does anyone know if there were any rules laid out to the candidates prior to the debate? At most debates there are specific things candidates are not allowed to do. For example, I've been at debates where you are not allowed to use a prop. So you couldn't whip out a crack pipe to make a point. No charts or graphs. No signs.
In some cases, candidates are told to answer the questions, stay on point and not attack other candidates. I know it sounds absurd for a political debate but I kid you not - some of the rules are strange.

From what you all are saying, I'm wondering if they were bound by some invisible rule. Nobody except Ford wants to go rogue so early in the race.

What's the number?

Need to talk to the Mayor? Need to score a quarter?

2lx9dw6.gif

Why not get a couple other guys named rob ford to run for mayor.
rofo's supporters wouldn't be smart enough to vote for the right one.

I was so pissed off watching that debate. Why did none of the candidates go after Ford harder?

He keeps trying to marginalize his lies, indiscretions, and law-breaking as "his personal life". So why not say things like "in my personal life, I don't smoke crack. I spend time with my spouse and children. I don't hang out with known gang members, I frequent this fine city's restaurants. I don't lie about my alcoholism and drug taking, I walk along our waterfront. ". Etc.

These candidates disgust me with their cowardess.

They need to go after him with easily memorable and repeatable sound bites that slay him. And they need to repeat the hell out of them.

I did not see the debate and judging from this and similar reviews, it's probably best for my blood pressure not to hunt for and watch a replay.

But, more as a devil's advocate than a supporter of any candidate, I'd say this is the situation: Rob Ford's political career is a giant meteor, hurtling earthbound at high speed, but the exact trajectory and speed are unknown, and the large and messy fallout of impact is difficult to predict. It's March now and the election is in October. If you're running a mayoral campaign, which option looks better:

(A) Do everything you can to speed up the meteor, aim its trajectory, and gain from impact.

(B) Stay out of the f***ing way, and do what you can to be in the best possible shape for whatever world we live in after impact.

That was just awful to watch. A pox on all their houses. How hard is it for one of them to kick at Ford with some simple facts:

"You say that you have the best attendance record on council, so let's take May 8th 2013. You showed up to council an hour late, skipped the evening session completely and missed seventeen votes. However, you did manage to call your drug dealer eight times. Must have been a fun night, because the next day you didn't show up until after lunch. How is that respecting the taxpayer?"

As others have said: Best. Ever. If such a thing were actually said in that forum it would be first up in the news. Like "Binders full of women".

If only such a thing, and its many possible variations, could be so distilled and sent to various candidates or campaigns. Or (credible) debate hosts. Whenever. Often. In advance. Because this sort of short, sharp approach could cut through the gormless blather that pervaded the clown-show witnessed earlier. Maybe Ford would Rhino-On! with his talking points, but a relentless pounding with this kind of thing? You might even make Robbie bawl.

That was just awful to watch. A pox on all their houses. How hard is it for one of them to kick at Ford with some simple facts:

"You say that you have the best attendance record on council, so let's take May 8th 2013. You showed up to council an hour late, skipped the evening session completely and missed seventeen votes. However, you did manage to call your drug dealer eight times. Must have been a fun night, because the next day you didn't show up until after lunch. How is that respecting the taxpayer?"

"Mayor Ford, during your term in office Toronto witnessed many violent incidents, like the Eaton Centre and Danzig Avenue shootings, to name but two. What actions have you taken, both personally and in your role as Mayor, to help curb such gang-related violence?"

MetroMan is freaking me out.: "When's the next debate? Ford may not be able to RSVP."

(Replying to his own tweet: "TPS source: We've got him. Arrest is one call away.")
Just a note of caution. While MM has good sources, he's also been sure that we'd see Ford in handcuffs on a number of occasions and it has yet to happen. I've learned not to get my hopes up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back