News   Apr 26, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 932     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
AG:

Didn't stop you from using k.m.a. on another forumer on here. Perhaps we should have a little discussion on vulgar language on that score instead?

That said, I do agree that the vulgarities in this thread should be toned down a bit. It is bad enough have to cut through all the f'ing and accusations of b's.

AoD

Last edited:
Marko:

It's because of who the "accused" is, in this case. My hunch is that if it involved say, David Miller, they would be expecting more of the CBC and not vice versa

If it was David Miller, one would be expecting a lot more from his personal behaviour - and by extension his personal accountability in the first place. Why should one tolerate this kind of behaviour from the holder of the highest office in the city?

AoD

Last edited:
Let's see if Mr. Ford decides to sue CBC for slander or libel, I forget which one. I doubt he will, only because the actual contents of the tapes will have to be released, and whatever he actually said is unflattering.

I am not a lawyer but I think a recent court decision stated that a journalist does not have to identify his sources, if the CBC is sued for slander and chose not to identify the Police employees (if they indeed have names) whose information their accusation was based on there is no trail to the tapes.
No trail-no tapes-Ford wins because the CBC can't prove their accusations. This action would be contested in Civil court not criminal court, big difference.

No trail-no tapes-Ford wins because the CBC can't prove their accusations.

Except the CBC didn't make any accusations....they simply reported an accusation. The only way the CBC can be at any fault, is if they fabricated the story, and nobody has even suggested that.

My hunch is that if it involved say, David Miller, they would be expecting more of the CBC and not vice versa

But this is a straw man.

I'm not particularly bothered with people using foul language while discussing the topic as much as I'm bothered with people using logical fallacies to discuss the topic.

A day without a Ford post or controversy?

It looks like Ford is getting off easy on having dad's printing company do the expensive business card printing for him and his clique -

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...-will-pay-city-back-for-outsourced-cards?bn=1

Now here's a real story:

Ford outsources business cards to his family’s firm.

This is a conflict of interest of there ever was one! Ford is giving his company business, charging the taxpayer more than they would pay for cards through the City's printer and pocketing that money himself through his firm. Yikes!

Rob Ford seems to have either a different kind of or no sense of humour, or is it humor since he likes American things? Or its rubbing off onto his staff. From this link:

Rob Ford's receptionist flees as warrior princesses descend

About a dozen costumed protesters — mostly women dressed as CBC character Marg Delahunty, Warrior Princess — couldn’t trick or treat their way into Mayor Rob Ford’s city hall office Monday.

As they tugged on the locked glass door to the reception area, the young male receptionist avoided eye contact — resisting an offered plate of Halloween cookies — and fled to an inside office, leaving them in the hall.

Thankfully, nobody called 911. Those protesting Ford’s reaction to a comedian on his driveway — he called police and swore at a 911 operator when officers failed to arrive promptly — put down their plastic swords and gave up.

“I think he’s unqualified to be mayor ... he’s not the chief executive of a major metropolitan city,†said Gayle Hurmuses, who organized the bit of pointed whimsy through a http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=208178215920348 Facebook pageEND that said 247 had promised to attend.

“What motivated me was just calling attention to the idiocy of him calling 911 on Marg Delahunty.â€

Jack Cunningham, who teaches history at a U of T-affiliated centre, dressed in black as Leonard Cohen and wore a “Stop Ford†button. He said he was protesting Ford’s “contempt for the arts, poor judgment and bad temper.â€

The mood brightened when Tom Beyer, Ford’s jovial assistant usually behind the reception desk, came out, accepted two cookies, gave them some Double Bubble in return and said: “Thanks for coming — you ladies look great. Fantastic, very impressive.â€

Ford was flying back from Mexico, where he attended the closing of the Pan Am Games.

Before we move on to the next Ford screw up, I just want to say that this obsession over the release of the tales is making us sound like a bunch of birthers wanting to see the President's birth certificate. Regardless of the exact wording used, I'm sure he made a colossal ass out of himself. And even if he did call the dispatcher a bitch, it is unlikely he would lose his job over it.

Even right-wing mayors are entitled to privacy
It came as a surprise to learn this week that Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is the worst person in the world.
I thought that dubious honour belonged to Adolf Hitler. Or, if the rule is that it has to be someone who's living, how about Robert Mugabe?

You'd think the Antichrist was running Toronto. Or that Ford has been indulging in ethnic cleansing in Toronto's neighbourhoods in his spare time. His real crime, of course, is that his politics don't jibe with Olbermann's. That's the premise of shows like these. Want to see the Republicans bashed? Tune in to Keith Olbermann or Bill Maher. Got a hate-on for liberals? Sean Hannity's your man. Ford was targeted for his right-wing politics. However, what politics has to do with You'd Ford's right to privacy is unclear.

So how stupid is this getting? On Halloween, 12 protesters, many of them women dressed in warrior princess costumes, descended upon Ford's office, but were thwarted by a locked door in the reception area, according to the Toronto Star.

More............http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Even+right+wing+mayors+entitled+privacy/5643498/story.html

It came as a surprise to learn this week that Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is the worst person in the world.

I wonder, if the same formula/standards were applied, who would be anointed the best person in the world?

I also wonder if anyone cares.

Worst person he is far from it - worst mayor of a major city? He got a legitimate claim to that (though he also got some competition in the area - and it ain't Miss Universe). And yes, considering the number of times he's been made available in the public, and the closed door policy of his office, "privacy" is something he already has a substantial amount of. And no, form letters does not equate to openness either.

spider:

No one really cares, because quite frankly he is becoming a bit of a persona non grata.

AoD

Last edited:
Toronto Star: Ford allies shelve ‘free press’ motion

Seems that Mayor Ford will be allowed to continue to freeze out people he doesn't like--namely the Toronto Star.

Mayor Rob Ford’s executive committee has unanimously shelved a motion that would have stopped Ford and his staff from withholding official communications from media outlets they don’t like.

Councillor Adam Vaughan’s “free press and democracy” motion would have prohibited city employees and politicians from excluding any specific journalist or news outlet from any “media conference,” “media event” or news release.

Vaughan told executive committee members that his motion was not specifically about Ford’s relations with the Star. Ford’s office does not send releases or notices of events to the newspaper, rarely answers questions from it, and has excluded its reporters from background briefings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back