1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 879     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, even I think that so far Ford is doing fine on a few issues - like TCHC ... the service provided by that agency is criminal, and it's about time someone cleaned house.

Way too early to be judging overall performance. Even on his key issues such as subway, and getting rid of downtown streetcars, there is little sign of what is going to happen (though it looks like his promise to get rid of downtown streetcars will be yet another broken promise - given the amount of money TTC just decided to pay to clean up the new Ashbridges Bay LRV site).

Hey, even I think that so far Ford is doing fine on a few issues - like TCHC ... the service provided by that agency is criminal, and it's about time someone cleaned house.

Way too early to be judging overall performance. Even on his key issues such as subway, and getting rid of downtown streetcars, there is little sign of what is going to happen (though it looks like his promise to get rid of downtown streetcars will be yet another broken promise - given the amount of money TTC just decided to pay to clean up the new Ashbridges Bay LRV site).

Don't forget that the auditor-general's office at city hall was there from BEFORE Rob Ford. The Ford brothers did not wave their magic wand and the auditor-general's report appeared out of nowhere, the office was working on it for months already.

Don't forget that the auditor-general's office at city hall was there from BEFORE Rob Ford. The Ford brothers did not wave their magic wand and the auditor-general's report appeared out of nowhere, the office was working on it for months already.

And the "house cleaning" was already underway.

The Fords are looking to start unloading assets, and this is a perfect opportunity to do so by creating this shit storm. The Fords are not city-builders with vision...they are city destroyers with simple ideology. The Ford policy on poverty: "GET A JOB". The Ford policy on AIDS prevention: "DON'T BE GAY OR DO DRUGS".

This will follow the Ford campaign in that it will consist of little substance and plenty of drama....chocolates from Holt Renfrew!!!!!!

No...let's not wait for the findings of the auditor to be investigated...it's guilty as charged (chocolates from Holt Renfrew after all). Rob Ford never tires of saying he has "respect for taxpayers money", but what he neglects to tell you is, that what he really means is HIS idea of what taxes should be spent on...not anybody else. Forget your money, he just doesn't respect the taxpayers at all, which is why he doesn't even think following proper, legal due process is necessary. Rob Ford does not know or care about how public housing is run in Toronto...he simply believes that public housing should not exist at all (like streetcars).

But to borrow another catchphrase of Ford.."at the end of the day", it is not Rob Ford I blame, it's city council, as they are the ones who are allowing this reckless behaviour to run roughshod over our city. If TCHC needs fixing (which anything of its magnitude almost certainly does), then let's do it in a rational manner....let's not throw the baby out with the bath water in the process....and it should never be used as a pawn in a jackass political game.

As usual, the Fords will rely on those supporters who are short on details, but very high on headlines...."CHOCOLATES FROM HOLT RENFREW!!!!!

The Ford policy on AIDS prevention: "DON'T BE GAY OR DO DRUGS".
AIDS is probably the most preventable deadly disease in my lifetime. We know exactly what causes it and how to prevent it. Avoid risky sexual behaviour and injecting street drugs and you're almost 100% guaranteed to be AIDS free. Imagine if cancer avoidance was that easy - if we knew with absolute certainty that by not doing two things you would have an almost 100% guarantee of being cancer free.

AIDS is probably the most preventable deadly disease in my lifetime. We know exactly what causes it and how to prevent it. Avoid risky sexual behaviour and injecting street drugs and you're almost 100% guaranteed to be AIDS free. Imagine if cancer avoidance was that easy - if we knew with absolute certainty that by not doing two things you would have an almost 100% guarantee of being cancer free.
Then free $$$ from the provincial government would then go a long way to save lives.

The only scenario I can imagine where one would only turn down free money to prevent AIDS is if one wanted those who were at risk to die.

What about if you are completely monogamous but your partner has a secret affair with someone who has AIDS and you get AIDS that way? What about if you get raped by someone who is HIV positive?

While I don't generally agree with nfitz on anything, I do here. If you willingly turn down free treatment money, you have no compassion for people who might have gotten into an unfortunate situation.

Avoid risky sexual behaviour and injecting street drugs and you're almost 100% guaranteed to be AIDS free

Indeed, and while we're on the topic of risks, his worship isn't exactly the paragon of healthy living and he is at risk of quite a few chronic diseases - and yet he himself didn't bother to do anything about it. Why should he get a free ride for his failure to get that in control while preaching to the rest of us his maxim?

AoD

Building Ford Nation

Robyn Doolittle
Urban Affairs Reporter

Earlier this week, the mayor threatened to unleash “Ford Nation†on Premier Dalton McGuinty should the province refuse the city’s request for more money.

It may have come off as a spur-of-the-moment turn of phrase, but Ford Nation is very real and about to change the political landscape of Ontario.

For months, members of Ford’s former campaign staff have been quietly drawing up plans to form a right-wing advocacy group. The intention is to monetize and organize this huge ideological voting base, essentially forming a quasi Tea Party North.

It would means millions of dollars for the conservative movement, high-profile publicity for Tory-friendly issues and an energized right-wing base.

“But it won’t be called Ford Nation. It’s going to be an advocacy group for the taxpayers of Toronto. It will be something like: Respect for Taxpayers Action Group,†said Nick Kouvalis, the mayor’s former chief of staff and deputy campaign manager.

Kouvalis, the man credited with parlaying the phrase “gravy train†to a Ford victory, has been meeting with lawyers over the past few weeks to ensure no one is violating campaign-financing legislation.

Neither the mayor nor his right-hand man, Councillor Doug Ford, has anything to do with the group, said Kouvalis. Legally it would create complications under municipal campaign fundraising laws.

But the organization is clearly a spinoff of Ford’s mayoral campaign, which was also called Respect for Taxpayers.

A year ago this month, Ford entered the race for mayor as a long shot. But with each passing week, his simple message of “protecting the taxpayer†began to catch on.

While the candidate stuck to his script, Ford’s team, backed by Kouvalis’ polling firm, Campaign Research, was rapidly building a database of diehard supporters through aggressive polling, robocalls, and a grassroots-led door-knocking campaign. By June, Ford had overtaken the man many thought couldn’t be beaten, George Smitherman.

When the votes were tallied, Ford had coasted to victory. Kouvalis believes a majority of those voters would be interested in signing up for Ford Nation, or whatever it ends up being called.

Since leaving Ford’s office a month ago, Kouvalis has been heading up the initiative. If everything goes according to schedule, the group could open its doors by the end of the month. The plan is to initially start in Toronto, then expand to other Ontario cities.

Then nationwide.

“What we found during the campaign is there is a lot of frustration out there among taxpayers. And those taxpayers are willing to be politically engaged, donating their time and money to have their voice heard. It’s happening across the States and now here in Canada,†he said.

“I wanted to continue building this movement that would be a voice for taxpayers. Not just for Toronto but for the whole province.â€

Fundraising will be a large objective for Ford Nation, which will be registered as a non-profit. But Kouvalis also has plans to commission research, advocate in political campaigns, buy advertising and release opinions on the issues of the day.

“Right now, (transit union president) Bob Kinnear goes on the radio to argue his points and there’s no one speaking against him,†said Kouvalis.

During the election, Ford’s campaign was frustrated by attacks from groups such as the Toronto Environmental Alliance. There was no right-wing equivalent to fire back.

“The left wing has a monopoly on this stuff. Now it’s our turn … we will be a voice on the centre-right,†said Kouvalis, drawing a comparison to Working Families, which the Tories charge is connected to the Liberals though Elections Ontario has ruled it is an independent organization.

At Queen’s Park, Liberals are closely watching the rise of the so-called Ford Nation.

There is concern in some Liberal quarters that the province appears to be antagonizing the mayor at a time when he is still basking in a political honeymoon.

“Ford is going from a position of strength,†noted one official, who is hopeful tensions will be defused soon.

Neil Thomlinson, chair of Ryerson University’s politics department, said provincial Liberals have reason to be nervous.

“Anything that organizes people and gives them a feeling of belonging and engagement has the potential to influence political outcomes. And these aren’t any old people, these are energizing people with a particular axe to grind, just like the Tea Party,†he said.

If the group does launch, it would be the first of its kind, left or right, said Thomlinson.

Interest groups such as the Toronto Environmental Alliance are focused on particular issues and lobby those in power to implement policy to their liking, said Thomlinson.

In contrast, “Ford Nation centres around an ideology. They’re not organized around an issue or even a set of issues,†he said. “I can’t think of (any other group) whose whole purpose in life is political-electoral.â€

Trying to channel the electricity of a campaign into a broader political movement isn’t new. After Barack Obama’s victory, his team tried, somewhat unsuccessfully, to continue the energy of Organizing for America, which in 2008 boasted 8 million volunteers. Organizers found that without the candidate, the motivation wasn’t there.

Nelson Wiseman, a politics professor at the University of Toronto, is skeptical Ford Nation would have much political impact.

“Municipal issues are totally different than provincial ones. I don’t think people elected Ford to go fight (Premier Dalton) McGuinty. People were outraged about Kyle Rae’s retirement party,†he said.

“And so he had highest municipal turnout record. Well, really, how competitive have the last municipal elections been?†Wiseman continued. “(Kouvalis) has had a big moment of glory (and) I think he’s very smart, but I also think this has gone to his head.â€

With files from Robert Benzie

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/949127--building-ford-nation?bn=1#article

Good luck with this. First, neo-conservatives seem to have a victimization complex. No one up to bat for them? Canadian Tax Payers Association, Frasier Institute, National Post, Toronto Sun, etc. If anyone should feel unrepresented in the media, it is the far left, but at least we don't cry like little babies about it!

Secondly, it is very unlikely that we would see some sort of rapid shift in momentum towards the right due to this group. The Tea Party is not a formal group or political organization. It was fueled by neo-conservatives who were upset that a black man won the presidency. Now that the term has gone mainstream, almost anyone right of center can claim to be a "member."

Finally, does Ford actually think Hudak is going to give Toronto money? He does know that it was the Conservatives who cut funding for municipalities, right? The ONLY thing that MIGHT happen is that the 416 becomes a political battleground like the 905, which may persuade the province and feds to invest more into the region.

I feel that, loosely speaking, a "Ford Nation" movement is more plausible than naysayers think--but, based upon the actuality of Rob Ford's support, translated provincewide. Which might as well be, in the end, "Kenney Nation" (as in Jason), w/the Fords, Kouvalis, et al being but a useful accessory...

Indeed, and while we're on the topic of risks, his worship isn't exactly the paragon of healthy living and he is at risk of quite a few chronic diseases - and yet he himself didn't bother to do anything about it. Why should he get a free ride for his failure to get that in control while preaching to the rest of us his maxim?AoD
Actually the Ford'ian simplifications and buzz words would very much apply to Ford's own health - "stop shoving food into your maw and get off the couch" should about do it.

What about if you are completely monogamous but your partner has a secret affair with someone who has AIDS and you get AIDS that way? What about if you get raped by someone who is HIV positive?

While I don't generally agree with nfitz on anything, I do here. If you willingly turn down free treatment money, you have no compassion for people who might have gotten into an unfortunate situation.
I'm not suggesting at all that AIDS funding be altered, reduced, or anything. I'm more commenting on AIDS in general. I will say that AIDS funding is disproportionate to the risk, especially in Africa where Malaria kills thousands of children every day. Meanwhile the West has huge public events and fundraisers for AIDS and nothing but some blankets for Malaria.

And Hipster, if two people are in a relationship and one of them has multiple partners, then that is not a monogamous relationship, and therefore both partners are at risk of any STIs, including AIDS. "Monogamous" doesn't mean one person only has one partner, it means they both do. If you want to be monogamous you need to choose your partner carefully.

A Ford Nation, starting with Bizarro Toronto as an example to follow, would decrease Canada's standing in the world. All the good things about Toronto are being reversed, resulting in a Bizarro Toronto.
The problem with a Ford Nation is that you need a white robe and hood to join.

It's amusing to see Ford linked with a Tea Party north - given that the Tea Party has been linked with white supremacists and the KKK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back