News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 479     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford and Pride

The reason Ford will win again is because people like myself will vote for him. For the first time since I can remember we have a reduced budget, no labor disruptions, and a person actually championing subways and fighting for anyone who lives north of Bloor. Not only will he win re-election but he'll win by a landslide. If he doesn’t want to attend the parade I could care less. I want someone to run the city like a business and make tough decisions not attend every and all functions. If he doesn’t want to go it’s really his choice. I understand this board is mostly anti Ford but the reality is he's done better than any mayor in the last 25+ years. The more the fringe and yes you are the fringe try to fight back, the more mobilized those who care about getting back to running the city like a business will become.

The reason Ford will win again is because people like myself will vote for him. For the first time since I can remember we have a reduced budget, no labor disruptions, and a person actually championing subways and fighting for anyone who lives north of Bloor. Not only will he win re-election but he'll win by a landslide. If he doesn’t want to attend the parade I could care less. I want someone to run the city like a business and make tough decisions not attend every and all functions. If he doesn’t want to go it’s really his choice. I understand this board is mostly anti Ford but the reality is he's done better than any mayor in the last 25+ years. The more the fringe and yes you are the fringe try to fight back, the more mobilized those who care about getting back to running the city like a business will become.

How nice for you to believe you have a lock on the truth. Have a nice day!

Pride is sponsored by more businesses than I care to mention. True businessmen recognize the promotional value of being attached to this event. I'll ignore the rest of what was said there, assuming it was some kind of joke.

Since when is 'running the city like a business' even remotely a good idea, anyway?

Or since when is the city a business, on that matter. And what business are we talking about exactly? Enron? Nortel? Worldcom? Those paragons of efficiencies, effectiveness and high standards. Perhaps the City...or on that matter TTC should aspire to the customer service departments of Rogers/Bell/Telus?

AoD

Last edited:
... and a person actually championing subways
Wow, you actually believe that? Ford has done nothing to actually get a subway, rather than just say he wants subways. And he's also actively sabotaged Stintz's attempts to find a compromise that would put part of Eglinton above-ground, and build some of the Sheppard East subway extension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding AoD's edit on Nfitz last comment...

Nfitz keeps using the word 'bigot' despite being warned multiple times. Please stop as it is unnecessary when making your points

Last edited:
malvern2's point is salient though. If you really hate Ford you shouldn't argue malvern's points you should mark them well. It's not relevant if they are factually correct or not. The majority of Torontonian's are on balance indifferent to Ford attending pride. The majority of Torontonians are likely on balance neutral to slightly disfavourable to the idea of Pride and homosexuality in general. I for instance accept that I have a very fringe opinion because I'm a poltically right-of-centre straight male that cares about this issue.

malvern2's point is salient though. If you really hate Ford you shouldn't argue malvern's points you should mark them well. It's not relevant if they are factually correct or not. The majority of Torontonian's are on balance indifferent to Ford attending pride. The majority of Torontonians are likely on balance neutral to slightly disfavourable to the idea of Pride and homosexuality in general. I for instance accept that I have a very fringe opinion because I'm a poltically right-of-centre straight male that cares about this issue.

Isn't this the greatest argument for why Ford needs to show his support for Pride?

One can point to instances from his history that indicate his personal feelings on this matter, but all this irrelevant. As a leader, he must recognize that the city as a whole should embrace Pride, and his policies and behaviours should reflect this. His current stance on Pride only encourages homophobic behaviour, and unless that's how he thinks Toronto should be, he needs to set an example. In his capacity as Mayor, he is afterall representing the city, not himself personally, and NOT just the people that voted for him, or high-5 him at Tim Horton's.

Is he trying to be popular, or trying to be Mayor? Does he even understand the difference?

Isn't this the greatest argument for why Ford needs to show his support for Pride?

One can point to instances from his history that indicate his personal feelings on this matter, but all this irrelevant. As a leader, he must recognize that the city as a whole should embrace Pride, and his policies and behaviours should reflect this. His current stance on Pride only encourages homophobic behaviour, and unless that's how he thinks Toronto should be, he needs to set an example. In his capacity as Mayor, he is afterall representing the city, not himself personally, and NOT just the people that voted for him, or high-5 him at Tim Horton's.

Is he trying to be popular, or trying to be Mayor? Does he even understand the difference?

i can't say he's doing any good on either.

I've been pondering this whole Rob Ford Pride thing a lot lately. He's had enough negative ink since last fall, I'm very confident he's just being coy right now and he'll show up for something Pride related, most likely to read the declaration at the flag raising as that's his easiest "out" of this mess that he has created. World Pride will be his last summer in office, presuming he's NOT re-elected, how can he not face the eventuality that he must acknowledge these events - and World Pride in 2014?
Mark my words, he'll show this year.

Regarding AoD's edit on Nfitz last comment...

Nfitz keeps using the word 'bigot' despite being warned multiple times. Please stop as it is unnecessary when making your points
In a thread about transit, or bike paths, that is a valid point.

However this entire thread is about Ford's bigoted anti-gay position. Not only is it relevant, it's the whole point of the thread. Seems bizarre to avoid the key subject of this thread. He's admitted himself that he has anti-gay beliefs.

For the record, his best PR rep Sue-Ann Levy is openly gay. Something to consider before we all tar and feather him.
Levy is hardly a barometer of acceptable behaviour. She would quite happily shout fire in a crowded room, just to enjoy the spectacle, with no regard of who gets trampled to death.

Last edited:

A large segment of older generation Torontonians may take issue with the Pride parade because they misunderstand it, thanks in large part to salacious media coverage... but I think it would be wrong to believe by extension that they would tolerate bullying, discrimination or unfair treatment of the gay community (or any community for that matter) on the part of the mayor. Let the recent election in Alberta be a warning to Ford if he is hedging bets otherwise!

Also, most moderate Canadians understand that Pride drives a lot of money for the city and would deem it foolish on the part of the mayor to not support it, no matter what their 'personal' perceptions of the parade may be. At heart people in the GTA are not fundamentalist. If they don't 'appreciate' the parade they don't go... but this doesn't mean they would stop others from going or deny the money-generating benefits. Thankfully!!

However this entire thread is about Ford's bigoted anti-gay position. Not only is it relevant, it's the whole point of the thread. Seems bizarre to avoid the key subject of this thread. He's admitted himself that he has anti-gay beliefs.

What is considered "bigot" and what is not anyway?
I consider those who are anti-big corporations "bigots", am I right to do that?

Bigot or not, it has more to do with personal belief. Don't make it a universal thing.

If one who is in a position of power vested by the citizenry treats various groups differently, when there is no clear reason attributable to governance objectives for doing so, it is fair to say that the practice is discriminatory. His personal beliefs - whether it is bigotry or otherwise - has no place in it.

AoD

Last edited:
I consider those who are anti-big corporations "bigots", am I right to do that?

Given that bigotry is usually defined as applied against groups of people, rather than abstract entities, I'd say that you're actually wrong to do so.

Back