News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

As for Highway 4, the whole 401 west of London was paraded by Douggie and his followers to be 6-laned relatively quickly and a barrier built in the median. Other than a short expansion through Tilbury the year after it was announced to 'build the barrier', nothing else has been done. While a barrier does exist at Highway 4, the overpass has to be replaced to get 6 lanes through and it's still a cloverleaf (and a odd one at that), so a redesign of the obsolete ramps is way overdue.
I wouldn’t say that “nothing else has been done” regarding the Tilbury to London HWY 401 widening. All the other phases are still in the Class EA and Design stage. Over the past couple of years, there were a couple of bobcats with soil augers in the median and shoulders along that stretch collecting soil samples.

The HWY 402 to Colonel Talbot and Colonel Talbot Road to Union Road segments are obviously going to be held up by the Colonel Talbot interchange project in the meantime. I am also pretty confident that MTO is also going to want to replace the Bloomfield interchange in Chatham before they start the Merlin Road to CK-Elgin boundary segment, which is looking like it will probably happen in 2025.

I know I said this in a previous post but I'm going to bring it up again as yet another fatal crash happend on highway 10 in Caledon.

I don't know how to embed but here's a link to an article regarding the crash.

How can we put a stop to these terrible fatalities on this stretch of highway.

I wouldn’t say that “nothing else has been done” regarding the Tilbury to London HWY 401 widening. All the other phases are still in the Class EA and Design stage. Over the past couple of years, there were a couple of bobcats with soil augers in the median and shoulders along that stretch collecting soil samples.

The HWY 402 to Colonel Talbot and Colonel Talbot Road to Union Road segments are obviously going to be held up by the Colonel Talbot interchange project in the meantime. I am also pretty confident that MTO is also going to want to replace the Bloomfield interchange in Chatham before they start the Merlin Road to CK-Elgin boundary segment, which is looking like it will probably happen in 2025.

I do know there's a lot of pre-work and EAs going on right now for it... For Douggie and his gang these rural ridings in SW Ontario are PC safe so the short stretch in Tilbury was done to appease them and no actual contruction has taken place since. Maybe another chunk will get underway after the 2026 election or if they start to lean more liberal or NDP.

I know I said this in a previous post but I'm going to bring it up again as yet another fatal crash happend on highway 10 in Caledon.

I don't know how to embed but here's a link to an article regarding the crash.

How can we put a stop to these terrible fatalities on this stretch of highway.

Head on? Build a barrier. Extend Highway 410 or make it a right-in, right-out style road similar to Highway 11 or 35/115.

I do know there's a lot of pre-work and EAs going on right now for it... For Douggie and his gang these rural ridings in SW Ontario are PC safe so the short stretch in Tilbury was done to appease them and no actual contruction has taken place since. Maybe another chunk will get underway after the 2026 election or if they start to lean more liberal or NDP.

Head on? Build a barrier. Extend Highway 410 or make it a right-in, right-out style road similar to Highway 11 or 35/115.
Short of a full re-build, probably on another alignment, RI/RO is probably the most practical option; although there are costs beyond just erecting a barrier.

two things:

1. The Highways program has the next stretch of 401 widening being the 20km or so past the 402 down to Union Rd, and has actually assigned 2023 contract numbers to the work (2023-3001 and 2023-3002). To me, this suggests that construction is imminent on that part. The start date listed is still "upcoming expansion" though, so who really knows.

2. Hwy 10 is a good candidate for a new RIRO upgrade if you ask me, right up there with Hwy 6.

two things:

1. The Highways program has the next stretch of 401 widening being the 20km or so past the 402 down to Union Rd, and has actually assigned 2023 contract numbers to the work (2023-3001 and 2023-3002). To me, this suggests that construction is imminent on that part. The start date listed is still "upcoming expansion" though, so who really knows.

2. Hwy 10 is a good candidate for a new RIRO upgrade if you ask me, right up there with Hwy 6.
There are still a few overpasses that will have to be rebuilt to expand the 401 west of 402 yet.

Hwy 6 is needed more than Hwy 10. A new route for Hwy 10 is needed to bypass Orangeville.

There are still a few overpasses that will have to be rebuilt to expand the 401 west of 402 yet.

Hwy 6 is needed more than Hwy 10. A new route for Hwy 10 is needed to bypass Orangeville.

Highway 10 already bypasses Orangeville pretty well, and it’s already four-laned. It’s going to be difficult to build a bypass of that bypass because of several conservation lands on both sides. It’s better to consolidate the intersections to reduce the number of traffic lights, and build direct connection between Highway 9 and the Dufferin Road 109. (Dufferin 109 really should be uploaded back to the province, by the way.)

Highway 10 already bypasses Orangeville pretty well, and it’s already four-laned. It’s going to be difficult to build a bypass of that bypass because of several conservation lands on both sides. It’s better to consolidate the intersections to reduce the number of traffic lights, and build direct connection between Highway 9 and the Dufferin Road 109. (Dufferin 109 really should be uploaded back to the province, by the way.)
My mistake, it should have been Shelbune

McCannell Avenue is provisioned to be as wide as Dufferin Road 109, suggesting an extension via that

This sign is stating the legally obvious (and by general design, amber sign is advisory). Without quoting chapter and verse, a vehicle facing a red indication may turn right after stopping provided they yield to any vehicles lawfully in the intersection. Since the other roadway is facing a green, they have the right-of-way.

U-turns in intersections are legal unless specifically prohibited. Personally, I would prefer they not be.
I looked up the rules of the road and this is what it said

19. The driver of automobile “A” is 100 per cent at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is not at fault for an incident that occurs,

(a) when automobile “A” is backing up;

(b) when automobile “A” is making a U-turn

I looked up the rules of the road and this is what it said

19. The driver of automobile “A” is 100 per cent at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is not at fault for an incident that occurs,

(a) when automobile “A” is backing up;

(b) when automobile “A” is making a U-turn
What's that? The Driver's Handbook? Does the scenario it is describing involve a controlled intersection or just generally on a highway? If it involves two vehicles both on a through highway, then yes. However, a vehicle facing a red light must always yield to any person/vehicle lawfully in the intersection. Since the u-turning vehicle would be facing a green, it is lawfully in the intersection and has the inherent right-of-way.

Dufferin Rd. 109 was never maintained by the province. It was a county project.
Dufferin Rd. 109 used to be Hwy from Hwy 11 (Yonge St.) clear through to Hwy 21 at Kincardine. Not sure about the 'by-pass alignment around downtown Orangeville.

Back