News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 288     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 813     0 

Roads: Highway 407 East (Durham Region)

To be clear--not sure if you're just commenting on the novelty, or unsure if that's correct--the eastern extension of the 407, along with the 412 and 418, is going to remain owned and operated by the provincial government, so the crown highway symbol is indeed the correct one.

Novelty for sure. I'm fully aware of the ownership of the eastern extension by the Province. I live close to Steeles/404 and accustomed to seeing signs for the 407 in the privatized manner. The "To 407" signs are so abundant along Steeles, Hwy 7, and any other N-S street that has an interchange with the 407. It's good to see the crown present, at least for the sake that the tolls collected will be going back to the Province. The different symbols reminds me of the 470/E-470 around Denver.

To be honest I don't think I have ever seen a 407 sign with the crown instead of the oval. Has the 407 crown ever been done before?

nope, as it s a private road, it doesn't qualify as a "King's Highway". The 407 technically isn't even a 400 series highway. All 407 signage uses the 407 ETR signage.

At the end of the 99 year lease (which began in 1998, so 2097), it will return to the province or leased to another operator. Signs might change then.

What is this toll waiving madness? I really hope this is about 407E being backlogged on their tolling infrastructure build out and not the pandering to drivers it is being sold as. If it's the latter, Del Duca better expect people to be asking him about free rides on Crosstown and other provincial projects, you know, to "get used to it"

Having a new line or road to be free for a period of time after it first opens isn't that unusual. Wasn't the first leg of 407 free for a bit as well?

Any dealer of a commodity of choice, would want to hook the client on what they are selling with freebies and low prices, to create a dependency, before hiking prices. Classic capitalism!

Ontario builds the ugliest freeways now. A second gravel shoulder outside the paved shoulder. Looks terrible.
That's not a gravel shoulder. There's gravel near the bridges, but that's dirt next to the grass. It's a very light colored dirt. Presumably, they plan to fertilize and grow grass in it, to blend with the rest.

What is this toll waiving madness? I really hope this is about 407E being backlogged on their tolling infrastructure build out and not the pandering to drivers it is being sold as. If it's the latter, Del Duca better expect people to be asking him about free rides on Crosstown and other provincial projects, you know, to "get used to it"

New rapid transit lines usually offer free transit days. I believe the Sheppard subway was free for the first week in 2002, and the Mississauga transitway had a weekend of free tours of the transitway when it first opened. I would imagine the Spadina line will be free initially as well. There is often a genuine will to try out new infrastructure, and that is accommodated. Especially for things like rapid transit, where people want to get off at each station to explore each one, charging immediately means nobody will leave the fare paid zone.

I seem to recall a couple days of free driving on the 407, but not an extended period. Maybe just one weekend. We took a spin end to end just to see it before the tolls kicked in.

- Paul

I seem to recall a couple days of free driving on the 407, but not an extended period. Maybe just one weekend. We took a spin end to end just to see it before the tolls kicked in.

- Paul

I recall it being at least a month. Wikipedia agrees.

The first segment of Highway 407, between Highway 410 and Highway 404, was ceremoniously opened to traffic on June 7, 1997; no tolls were charged for a month to allow motorists to test-drive the freeway

Back