News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

From the Post:

Board to unveil traffic reports on Gardiner
Waterfront Toronto; Experts predict longer delays if amputation occurs

Allison Hanes, National Post
Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Waterfront Toronto will tomorrow unveil the traffic studies backing up its claim that removing the easternmost portion of the Gardiner will only minimally slow traffic, even as some experts are predicting slightly longer delays.

When the plan was revealed last month, officials said dismantling the elevated expressway east of Jarvis Street in favour of an eight-lane boulevard would cost drivers only two minutes. "From my perspective that's two minutes for a great city," Mayor David Miller told reporters.

At the time, no studies were released to bolster the claim, or explain how traffic will respond to the addition of several new stop lights.

Tomorrow, Waterfront Toronto's board gets a more fulsome report on the implications of the estimated $300-million, eight-year endeavour, aimed at allowing for development of the eastern downtown waterfront.

In interviews, traffic experts said the two-minute estimate may not be accurate for all motorists.

Jim Mars, a professor of urban planning at Ryerson University, said he thinks people who use the Gardiner to access the Don Valley Parkway or vice versa will be hardest hit by the proposed overhaul--although he said has not seen any detailed analyses.

"If it's two minutes for the other people, it will be four minutes for them in terms of lost time, because I think that two minutes is calculated as if you're a person on the surface of Jarvis and you want to go up the parkway," he said. "So you have to go three streets on the surface and eventually get to a ramp. Right now you can get immediately on to a ramp and you're on the expressway and you avoid between two and three lights."

John Campbell, the president and chief executive of Waterfront Toronto, said only about 15% of the 200,000 drivers who flow in to the city from the west and 120,000 who enter from the east each day travel straight through from the Gardiner to the DVP.

Mr. Campbell called the section between the Gardiner and DVP "underutilized" and said there is actually "too much road capacity."

He said traffic-impact studies show the change will only slow speeds by about 12% during peak hours.

Eric Miller, a civil engineering professor at the University of Toronto and one of the country's foremost experts on transportation planning, said it is theoretically possible that an arterial boulevard could replace an expressway with minimal disruption.

"If you compare how that might function at rush hour versus how the Gardiner functions now at rush hour with everyone creeping and crawling along, a well-regulated arterial system, which meters the traffic and controls it, may not introduce much in the way of additional delay."

Prof. Miller, who also has not seen the traffic studies, said the Gardiner's on-and off-ramps, which require cars entering and exiting to weave in a basket pattern, already create bottlenecks that slow traffic. So a series of stop lights might not be much worse during peak hours.

But outside of rush hour it's a different story. "Conceivably it might have a larger impact off peak, but you're talking about a much lower base travel time, so if it's five minutes does it really matter?" Prof. Miller said. "And it may not be five minutes, I don't know. If the lights are coordinated properly, there's no reason you won't flow through it at a reasonable speed most of the time."

Prof. Mars said that if any city has the expertise to figure out how to replace a highway with an eight-lane boulevard without wreaking traffic havoc, it's Toronto.

"Toronto runs on arterial roads mainly. We have a good system and one of the first and best traffic light control systems in the world," he said. "We get the most out of our arterials. So if any city can manage this partial transition from expressways to arterials, I think we can. But it will be slower. There's no question."

ahanes@nationalpost.com

AoD

From the Post:

Board to unveil traffic reports on Gardiner
Waterfront Toronto; Experts predict longer delays if amputation occurs

Allison Hanes, National Post
Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Waterfront Toronto will tomorrow unveil the traffic studies backing up its claim that removing the easternmost portion of the Gardiner will only minimally slow traffic, even as some experts are predicting slightly longer delays.

Sounds like they agree but differ on semantics.

I would like to see a copy of the new reports. While that portion of the Gardiner might have excess capacity, high C:L ratios are wonderful to have when there are local traffic problems.

It sounds like the experts think that there will be little delay and problems. Its amazing how the Post can twist things around.

Noise is a barrier

Another significant way that the Gardiner is a "barrier", and one that is quite different from the rail tracks, is that it is extremely noisy. The rail traffic is only noisy intermittently, and then is a low rumble that is not that objectionable (to me, anyways, though others may disagree). However, the Gardiner gives off a significant and constant roar, made all the worse because it is elevated so the sound carries.

This is, in my view, not really that much less a barrier than a physical one. What it does is creates a zone in which it is unpleasant to spend time, where one wishes to enter and exit quickly.

I noticed this most profoundly at Fort York on the weekend past. No noise from the rail side, but this deafening roar from the Gardiner end. Too bad they aren't ripping the whole thing.

Miller and friends have said unequivocally that they do not support new subway lines in Toronto. All new construction must be LRT.
Where do get that? The Miller council authorized a 6-station subway extension north on Spadina; is getting ready to authorize a 4-station Skytrain extension; is eagerly co-operating with Phase 1 (automatic train control) of the Yonge subway extension to Richmond Hill, and is examining extending the Shepard subway from Don Mills Road to Consumers Road. That's about 15 new mass transit (non-LRT) stations; if all new construction must be LRT there would be 0, or perhaps 1 with Consumers Road being part of the Sheppard East LRT project. Also they have said that the Downtown Relief Line will have to come as soon as the 7 LRT lines are finished.

nfitz, the extensions into York Region have nothing to do with the City of Toronto. Anyone who's watched City Hall would know that Toronto has repeatedly tried to kill the York extension. At this point, the Province is paying for all of it, so it's very difficult to refuse. The RT has absolutely nothing to do with subway, and at any rate is a sop to Scarborough councillors who were denied their subway extension. They've also said that the DRL will be built as LRT. That's what we're campaigning to prevent. As for that Consumers extension, that's the most preposterous of all. We're building a completely useless LRT line to nowhere that will wind up costing more than the subway line that has always been planned and is blatantly necessary: from NYC to STC. Adam Giambrone said it best when somebody asked about adding park and ride lots at the outer end of the Sheppard LRT: "The travel time will be too long for people to ride it downtown."

I get this from the mayor's office, and from a senior TTC commissioner.

Here's a shot of the to be demolished section I took during Ride for Heart. If it looked like this every day it might not be so bad:

2566536336_e328db6ab0_m.jpg

View larger

I think Miller would love subways but knows it isn't the most realistic goal right now.

Gardiner teardown plan sparks commuter worry

Jun 12, 2008 04:30 AM
Paul Moloney
City Hall Bureau

Waterfront Toronto has a challenge to prove that taking down the eastern Gardiner expressway won't slow commuters and will make Lake Shore Blvd. E. a pedestrian-friendly zone.

Today, the agency will try to do just that, unveiling traffic studies on the issue of tearing it down from Jarvis St. to the Don Valley Parkway.

While few people challenge the concept, questions are being raised about its impact.

Transportation consultant Richard Soberman says there is no doubt it will affect commuters.

"Certainly, there are people coming down the Don Valley Parkway getting off at Yonge, Bay and York and my guess is it's going to increase their travel time," he said.

Studies in 2004 predicted it would take three minutes longer to travel from the DVP at Dundas St. to King and Bay Sts. in the morning rush, presuming the Gardiner from Jarvis to the DVP would be replaced with an eight-lane road.

But it's unlikely the road would be built with enough capacity to offset losing the expressway, Soberman said. "There are lots of arterial roads like Sheppard Ave. that are six lanes wide. But five lanes in each direction is 10 lanes wide, and you could land a 747 on that."

A wide roadway would be a barrier to pedestrians and that worries Councillor Adam Vaughan.

"That's not city-building, it's road-building," Vaughan said. "It's like Bathurst and Lake Shore. It becomes dangerous for cyclists, and parents with little kids and baby strollers, and folks in wheelchairs."

Waterfront Toronto is expected to back the teardown, which would then go to city council July 15 or 16.

The proposal would go through an exhaustive environmental assessment of up to five years to see how to reduce the impact on drivers and pedestrians. "Trying to walk across 10 lanes is a lot of road," said city transportation planner Rod McPhail, adding pedestrian tunnels are worth examining.

Increased travel times pale compared to the benefits of getting rid of this "sinfully ugly" stretch of the Gardiner, said Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker, chair of the public works committee. "In 10 years' time, when the Gardiner's down and people are looking at our spectacular waterfront, no one will be talking about whether it's an extra three minutes."

Here's a shot of the to be demolished section I took during Ride for Heart. If it looked like this every day it might not be so bad:

2566536336_e328db6ab0_m.jpg

View larger

Good riddance! It didn't immediately occur to me that once this is done, the Distillery will become a waterfront community. :) This is going to be great.

Good riddance! It didn't immediately occur to me that once this is done, the Distillery will become a waterfront community. :) This is going to be great.

Uhh, yeah. Except for the Rail Embankment which remains.

Removing the Gardiner doesn't affect the distillery (unless they redirect the whole works over said rail embankment)

Back