News   May 03, 2024
 831     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 522     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 256     0 

Riverdale

Indeed. Remember also that they plan to phase out the existing fleet - presumably they'll be sold on to other countries, as is often the case. Either that or they'll be mothballed and stored elsewhere. But the Russell yard will be a going concern for years to come.

I suspect there are soil remediation issues holding things up - that or the prices are deemed insane, I dunno.

I would bet anything that much of the area is highly contaminated. Wasn't that an issue a few years back when there was talk of a big box/power center along Eastern, between Carlaw and Leslie?

One big issue is traffic. Ever since the Gardiner ended at Carlaw, Carlaw northbound at rush hour is bumper to bumper. Eastern Ave, with people using it to get to increasing development (towns & condos) in the Beaches and Scarborough, is also bad. There's virtually no public transit along these arteries, although a DRL may help with the northbound flow, whenever it is built.

Meanwhile, what happened to this?
http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/05/massive_retail_development_and_hotel_planned_for_old_toronto_film_studios_site/

I would bet anything that much of the area is highly contaminated. Wasn't that an issue a few years back when there was talk of a big box/power center along Eastern, between Carlaw and Leslie?

One big issue is traffic. Ever since the Gardiner ended at Carlaw, Carlaw northbound at rush hour is bumper to bumper. Eastern Ave, with people using it to get to increasing development (towns & condos) in the Beaches and Scarborough, is also bad. There's virtually no public transit along these arteries, although a DRL may help with the northbound flow, whenever it is built.

Meanwhile, what happened to this?
http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/05/massive_retail_development_and_hotel_planned_for_old_toronto_film_studios_site/

Far as I know, it's still happening.

Yeah, soil contamination is an issue. Reason why it was called "Leadville" by our real estate agent when we were shopping around for a house, a decade ago. The heavy metal history of the area is pretty well documented. And from my understanding, that complex you were asking about is zoned for work only - no residential. Because of the soil.

Carlaw is indeed a pig of a road these days. I avoid it like the plague. It's also in very rough shape. Growing pains. The traffic is only going to intensify, like elsewhere in the core.

Last edited:
There is a new outdoor ping-pong table at Withrow park in front of the field house (or "The Hut" as I called it as a kid)

For the record, Carlaw has recently been resurfaced between Queen and Dundas making part of it a much less bumpy journey. North of Gerrard was done in 2013 too.

Funny! I hadn't noticed. Probably because I go out of my way to avoid it due to horrendous traffic. But thanks for the tip.

Virtually no public transit on Carlaw? What happened to the 72? It used to run every 5 mins in rush hour, and deliver me home tout de suite, northbound from Queen or southbound from Pape ... and occasionally I'd take the whole ride downtown (slow through the stop signs of St. Lawrence, though, that way.)

Virtually no public transit on Carlaw? What happened to the 72? It used to run every 5 mins in rush hour, and deliver me home tout de suite, northbound from Queen or southbound from Pape ... and occasionally I'd take the whole ride downtown (slow through the stop signs of St. Lawrence, though, that way.)

I used to call the 72 the Magic Bus. So you are correct. But the big problem is Eastern now.

I rode by on bike a few days ago and noticed a banner over an empty store a few doors east that said they were moving into there...but when I walked by today to confirm, the banner was gone and there a "leased' sign against the wall in the still empty store...the mystery continues....

I guess I wasn't seeing things as there is now a big yellow HH sign on the window a few doors down with "Opening in January 2015 Under New Management"

There is a sign posted at The Friendly Greek restaurant. They are moving to a smaller location at the former 'Stixx' on north side Danforth just east of Logan.

Can't say I am surprised. Their food isn't exceptional. The gyro joints (Messinis, Folia Grill and Tzatziki on Pape, etc.) have supplanted the taste for souvlaki. The rent on that space must be horrendous. The patio was never sun-filled.

Back