News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 495     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Riverdale

It would be bad business sense on the part of the dentists to keep the entire building as a dental office. Make the 2nd/3rd floor dental offices and rent out the bottom to a retail store.

There is enough patio room!

When humble semis in the eastern periphery of Leslieville are going for over three quarters of a million, for that matter.

Well, the specific place I'm thinking of has very nice landscaping and some handsome materials in the newly reno'd kitchen, and hardwood floors throughout... but does it all add up? Not really. I keep thinking a correction of 10-15% is inevitable. This is nutso.

It isn't unreasonable to set the asking price for a renovated house high enough to cover the cost of the renovations that've been made, plus a little profit. Buyers will pay extra for that - a brand new reno - rather than updating a house themselves, especially now that everyone seems to spend all their spare time looking through glossy design and architecture magazines, getting their hearts set on a place that looks as close as possible to whatever fashionable look they aspire to own, and heading off into deepest Riverdale to get them some.

Supply and demand ... proximity to a culturally vibrant downtown, and workplaces there ... the appeal of owning your own little plot of land in a city increasingly obliged to build the multi-unit highrise alternative ... low interest rates for mortgages, and the knowledge that they'll start to go up again ...

Yep. Oh yeah, more than ever. Never thought I'd live to see the day where even a humble, hundred year old semi with a narrow but deep backyard starts to look like a coveted status symbol. Yet here we are.

But it's still nutso.

The schools in Riverdale are good, too, so I've been told, and there are oodles of broody twentysomethings itching to set up home and probably plenty of boomer parents to help them get a start on the "home-ownership ladder". And we have some fine parks ( the neighbourhood fireworks display in Withrow, this Victoria Day, was as good as ever ... ). In my neck of the woods, a two bedroom semi, which has recently been renovated within an inch of its life, shows very nicely, is on a great street, and fits your description to a T, has just been put on the market for $649K ... and I can't imagine it'll fail to sell for at least that.

Riverdale has been popular for years..there was a Toronto Life cover story about the neighbourhood real estate back in 2003..I think because of that, more people moved into adjacent Leslieville and kick-started that neighbourhood's popularity..

2003 is not even a decade ago. We've seen serious buzz about Riverdale or Leslieville for a relatively short time. For a very long time the entire east end was a fairly sleepy backwater where the pace of change was reptillian, especially compared to the west end. Even the beach is facing significant change. I can't say I'm surprised and for the most part I welcome the idea of more people, more street action. Car traffic? Not so much. But you gotta take the good with the bad, I suppose.

2003 is not even a decade ago. We've seen serious buzz about Riverdale or Leslieville for a relatively short time. For a very long time the entire east end was a fairly sleepy backwater where the pace of change was reptillian, especially compared to the west end. Even the beach is facing significant change. I can't say I'm surprised and for the most part I welcome the idea of more people, more street action. Car traffic? Not so much. But you gotta take the good with the bad, I suppose.

Riverdale, at least prime riverdale vs south riverdale (south of gerrard) has been popular since the 1980s and probably before then.
it's quite established and the schools are covetted - Jackman and Franklin PS.

Leslieville is somewhat newer as an up-and-coming neighbourhood over the past decade, moreso the last 5 years since prices elsewhere have pushed the affordability limits more eastbound. The prices here are insane considering the area still is in transition - valuations here will be hit when the market corrects as it's not as established or genetrified as Prime Riverdale, Annex, Little Italy, High Park, BWV, cabbagetown

OK, but...

The schools in Riverdale are good, too, so I've been told, and there are oodles of broody twentysomethings itching to set up home and probably plenty of boomer parents to help them get a start on the "home-ownership ladder". And we have some fine parks ( the neighbourhood fireworks display in Withrow, this Victoria Day, was as good as ever ... ). In my neck of the woods, a two bedroom semi, which has recently been renovated within an inch of its life, shows very nicely, is on a great street, and fits your description to a T, has just been put on the market for $649K ... and I can't imagine it'll fail to sell for at least that.

... what about the ultra-skinny reno flip semi- a block east, at $999k? That one's pretty unreasonable...

Totally agree on the house that (I think) you're talking about, though.

FWIW, we think the 'nabe is probably topping out, so we've sold and are making the 'radical lifestyle change' thing happen, partially with the proceeds. It's been a great RE run for us in Riverdale (we bought our original Riverdale townhouse in '97) but it's got to stop some time. Right? Right??? ;-)

Back