News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 478     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Riverdale

About 80 people at the Library last night to discuss the proposed cutbacks, including reduced hours at our branch. Councillor Paula and Councillor Pam ( from across the valley ) there, much citizen outrage expressed ... and the next big meeting is at 6 p.m. on Monday the 21st at the main Library at Yonge and Bloor.

Found out something interesting... Apparently Wal-mart is taking over the lease of Zellers at Gerrard Square.... Looks like they are getting into the area after all. I was hoping it would become Target.

I'm not an supporter of either to tell you the truth, but if you've been in either store there is a difference. Since I find myself at Gerrard Square quite often (god help me please) I'd rather a Target over a Wal-mart... that is if the option of blowing the mall up and starting over is off the table. What I found the most interesting is, that if true, Walmart finally penetrating the Old city of Toronto is certainly huge news that has gone largely unnoticed, especially when one recalls the huge battle over their last attempt on Eastern Ave.

I'm not an supporter of either to tell you the truth, but if you've been in either store there is a difference. Since I find myself at Gerrard Square quite often (god help me please) I'd rather a Target over a Wal-mart... that is if the option of blowing the mall up and starting over is off the table. What I found the most interesting is, that if true, Walmart finally penetrating the Old city of Toronto is certainly huge news that has gone largely unnoticed, especially when one recalls the huge battle over their last attempt on Eastern Ave.

Agreed. The Home Depot at GS, and the accompanying clean up of the mall, did bring it up to 'useable', though. Do you remember the parking garage or food court pre-HD? Yikes!

Walmart has been in Dufferin Mall for several years, so this wouldn't be its first forray into the old City of Toronto anyway. Having said that, I'm always saddened to hear about any Walmart expansion, anywhere.

What I found the most interesting is, that if true, Walmart finally penetrating the Old city of Toronto is certainly huge news that has gone largely unnoticed, especially when one recalls the huge battle over their last attempt on Eastern Ave.

Not to be pedantic, but there already is a Walmart (a Supercentre at that), at the Dufferin Mall. So that might explain why there isn't much noise about this. However, I think if Walmart were saying they were tearing down Gerrard Square and replacing it with a giant Walmart, you'd see uproar.

You're right, Riverdale Rink Rat, that there isn't much of a difference. I suppose, especially in the housewares department, Target has better quality merchandise than Walmart. They're also usually a couple of dollars more expensive, so the people who would sit on their elderly mother's face in order to save a dollar or two typically go to Walmart, which (and not to sound too snobby here) usually leaving a higher calibre of clientèle at Target. Obviously, this is only in the States, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out in Canada.

I used to dislike Walmart because of their labour practices. While Target does pay its employees a bit more, they also have anti-union tendencies and they were dragged through the mud a year or two ago when it was made public that the company had supported some anti-gay groups in the US. While I am more inclined to support Target, I am also cognizant that at the end of the day, so long as the next occupant of the Zellers renovates the store, the product we'll get there will be about the same.

Does anyone know what's going in at 324 Broadview? Renos have been happening for some time, and the City sign outside says "multiple unit".

I heard Lea-Ann Belter bought the building formerly housing Coffee Time at Broadview and Dundas and is in the process of renovating and relocating her wedding gown shop and operations there from Queen and De Grassi.

Back