News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Richard Florida (Rise of the Creative Class) Moving to Toronto

It's pretty obvious Florida (hilarious name btw--what a suburban bore at heart: look where he lives in Toronto)

Yes, I have to say I was surprised by that Globe Real Estate thing on his house--I would have thought he was in the Annex or maybe Yorkville or something. But instead he's in Rosedale--and not even in the walkable, Yonge St-and-subway-oriented lower half, but at the single most transit-inaccessible point in the generally transit inaccessible upper half!

Beautiful home, though.

That is preference though. Maybe its not your preference, but the owners of the company you are describing clearly do prefer low cost suburban developments to the alternative. Since markets don't distinguish between people and corporations (just consumers and producers). It is one thing to remark that employees may have little choice in where their employer is located, that doesn't imply a lack of preference. There is a clear preference for suburban office space.

Up until now, our discussion was on personal, consumer choice to live in suburbia, not the choice of companies to locate there. This just underscores my original point: people have very little choice in where they ultimately live. It is dictated by a number of things including where their employer locates, what's available to buy or rent on the market, their diposable income, the school district they're in and a myriad of other socio-economic and cultural reasons. Despite all this, people like Kay, Brooks and a whole host of neoliberal urban theorists from Randall O'Toole to Wendell Cox to Peter Gordon and Harry Richardson posit that where you live is as much a matter of personal choice as deciding what DVD to rent on a Friday night.

Isn't there an 'all things being equal' assumption here? Given no 'major' socio-economic obstacles, or at the very least dismissing any extremes, where we choose to live is about the lifestyle we envisage for ourselves. I know ex-urbanites who aspired to the suburban lifestyle, living among peers where kids can play with others their same age, near to schools and shopping centres, with space in the backyard for the deck and bbq, and an affordable way of living that's conducive to the shunting of kids around to little league, 5am hockey practice, play groups etc. It's also about differing priorities in differeing stages of life. Those very same people may also aspire to more urbanized living when the kids have flown the coop and Mom and Dad have more time and money for gallery hopping, restau-bars, and experimental theatre.

Up until now, our discussion was on personal, consumer choice to live in suburbia, not the choice of companies to locate there. This just underscores my original point: people have very little choice in where they ultimately live. It is dictated by a number of things including where their employer locates, what's available to buy or rent on the market, their diposable income, the school district they're in and a myriad of other socio-economic and cultural reasons. Despite all this, people like Kay, Brooks and a whole host of neoliberal urban theorists from Randall O'Toole to Wendell Cox to Peter Gordon and Harry Richardson posit that where you live is as much a matter of personal choice as deciding what DVD to rent on a Friday night.

Of course, people's motivations are much more complex and often people find themselves living in suburbia not out of choice, but out of necessity. Actually, the idea that our living arrangements are largely a matter of personal choice and not imposed by outside structures is a common failing of both Richard Florida types and people like this hack from the NP.

So what point are you trying to make, besides the obvious?
At least the Post reporter admitted that there was validity in choosing to live in the suburbs. You seem to be arguing that without constraints no one would desire to enjoy "low density backyard living".

So what point are you trying to make, besides the obvious?
At least the Post reporter admitted that there was validity in choosing to live in the suburbs. You seem to be arguing that without constraints no one would desire to enjoy "low density backyard living".

No. Go back and read my posts again.

Really, I think Hipster has been abundantly clear - there are any number of facts which influence a decision about where to live, one of the main ones being the cost of housing, which in Toronto is usually quite a bit higher towards the centre of the city. That's all he's saying. Of course some people prefer the burbs and he has never said anything that denies that.

How, in tax rates? What more do you want and why the hostility?

I don't think Hipster could've been any clearer.

No hostility intended. The fact that everyone will weigh their own options and make their own trade offs is self evident. Hipster is, in essence saying just that. I am assuming that he is not just interested in increasing his post count so there must be another point. One that I am missing.

I don't see that as being true, plenty of people decide to live in the suburbs in the same way that plenty of people decide to live downtown. Saying that most people end up in suburbs "by default" is actually ridiculous. To begin with, the statement is illogical. You can't "choose to live in urban/downtown areas" and then claim that suburbs win by default, default implies lack of choice and you have clearly laid out the choice between suburbs and cities. If people choose not to live downtown, they are implicitly choosing to live in the suburbs (or possibly small towns & rural areas).

Of course it's true. It isn't 1946 anymore...the vast majority of housing exists in the suburbs and urban residences are a small enough subset that people are much, much more likely to live in urban places as a direct result of choosing urban lifestyles/environments than is true of suburbanites choosing suburban lifestyles/environments. If people want to live in Toronto, most must live in the suburbs. Of course, even in 1946, the choice to move to the suburbs was less of a consumer choice than people think it was. When people continue to live in suburbia after being born there, or are unable to afford to live elsewhere, or choose to live next to their suburban job, or take part in the diaspora of their friends & relatives, etc., etc., they are not consciously choosing to wallow in picket fence, master-planned, auto-dependent, monotonous cul-de-sac suburbia. No one is saying that absolutely no one chooses to seek out an idyllic vision of suburbia, but the vast majority either do not, or it is a minor/trivial part of the decision.

Remarkable, scarberiankhatru.

Therefore, in your opinion, the majority of people in the GTA must meet one of the following requirements:

1) To lazy to move.
2) To poor to move to the urban utopia.
3) Unable to commute.
4) Cannot handle living more than 20 minutes from family or friends.
5) Stupid.

Who needs Richard Florida. We have you.

Obviously people have certain limiting factors in where they can live. Not everyone can afford to live in the Annex, for example. That doesn't make it any less of a personal choice. You are still choosing, you just have certain criteria (cost, proximity to employment, public services ect...) and what area suits your needs best. I don't think Kay or any of the rest ever tried to imply that people choose the suburbs based on some kind of ideological attraction to low-density suburban living, they often make it quite clear that many people move to the 'burbs to seek exactly the thing you describe.

Comparing housing decisions to renting a DVD is a bit facile. A more appropriate comparison would be comparing it to cars. What car would you expect a low income family with 4 children to buy? Probably a low cost minivan, right? Obviously they wouldn't buy a Porsche Boxter because they probably can't afford it, and if they could it wouldn't fit their needs. Is this not a "personal choice" because the family has limiting factors (low income, many children) which prevent them from buying any car they want?

scarberiankhatru said:
Of course it's true. It isn't 1946 anymore...the vast majority of housing exists in the suburbs and urban residences are a small enough subset that people are much, much more likely to live in urban places as a direct result of choosing urban lifestyles/environments than is true of suburbanites choosing suburban lifestyles/environments. If people want to live in Toronto, most must live in the suburbs. Of course, even in 1946, the choice to move to the suburbs was less of a consumer choice than people think it was. When people continue to live in suburbia after being born there, or are unable to afford to live elsewhere, or choose to live next to their suburban job, or take part in the diaspora of their friends & relatives, etc., etc., they are not consciously choosing to wallow in picket fence, master-planned, auto-dependent, monotonous cul-de-sac suburbia. No one is saying that absolutely no one chooses to seek out an idyllic vision of suburbia, but the vast majority either do not, or it is a minor/trivial part of the decision.

This is circular logic. How many Torontonians live in the 'burbs, 4 million, say? How many of those dwellings existed 10 years ago? 30 years ago? 50 years ago? Not very many. The vast majority of housing exists in the suburbs because, for whatever reasons, that's where the demand is. There weren't very many suburban dwellings 50 years ago, and now there are millions. If you reduced this idea to its most extreme form, people would have never left the original cities in Africa because "that was were the majority of housing existed."

If people were willing to live in an urban area, there would be more multiunit housing in urban areas. Now, I will say that our zoning bylaws often put serious discouragements on densification (i.e. "stable neighborhood"), but I think it is fair to say that Toronto could easily accommodate much more housing. What is the density of "Old Toronto", ~7,000-7,500k/km2? Thats hardly a world record.

I also don't think anybody is seriously suggesting people seek to "wallow in picket fence, master-planned, auto-dependent, monotonous cul-de-sac suburbia." Nobody is saying that, or at least not so simplistically. Everyone has certain criteria for their housing. Cost, number of rooms, quality of local schools, access to transit, safety, socio-ethnic makeups and such. I'm not trying to minimize this or suggest that people move to the suburbs for the sole purpose of BBQing hot dogs on their backyard patio, or whatever. Objectively looking at the criteria most people apply to their housing decisions though, suburbs tend to have quite noticeable advantages over the quaint house in the Beaches.

here's some demographics on Downtown Living

It looks at why people live downtown, why they chose their specific residence, etc. quite interesting.

edit: 'downtown' includes bathrust to dvp, waterfront to rosedale valley rd/yonge/rail line

Last edited:
Comparing housing decisions to renting a DVD is a bit facile. A more appropriate comparison would be comparing it to cars. What car would you expect a low income family with 4 children to buy? Probably a low cost minivan, right? Obviously they wouldn't buy a Porsche Boxter because they probably can't afford it, and if they could it wouldn't fit their needs. Is this not a "personal choice" because the family has limiting factors (low income, many children) which prevent them from buying any car they want?

Wait a minute... if you can't afford something, it's not an option. If I had just $5 to my name, there is no car dealership anywhere that will sell a Boxter to me. Not buying a Porsche is not a personal choice, because it's not a choice you can make at all. Unless the person selling the Porsche is willing to part with it for $5.

Remarkable, scarberiankhatru.

Therefore, in your opinion, the majority of people in the GTA must meet one of the following requirements:

1) To lazy to move.
2) To poor to move to the urban utopia.
3) Unable to commute.
4) Cannot handle living more than 20 minutes from family or friends.
5) Stupid.

Who needs Richard Florida. We have you.

And we have you to deliberately misinterpret stuff!

The vast majority of housing exists in the suburbs because, for whatever reasons, that's where the demand is.

That's where the myth is, at least. The reality is that the suburbs are not as consumer-driven as they seem.

Back