Residences of Maple Leaf Square Condos (Lanterra Developments) - Real Estate -

Dusseldorf is the fashion capital of Germany.

Frankfurt is the financial capital.

Toronto has the 6th largest Stock Exchange in the World behind:

NYSE (New York)
NASDAQ (New York)
FTSE (London)
Tokyo (Nikkei)
Euronext - France/Germany

You're either rather ignorant of the actual Florida real estate market or you're hoping that we all are. It's pretty obvious that a decline in the Miami market is a part of the widespread real estate meltdown in Florida, and along the rest of the American coasts. This has far greater causes than some local condo market oversupply. How would you explain the equally significant drops in the price of Florida single family homes?

What baffles me, honestly, is why this excites you so much. Why do you feel the need to come on internet message boards and devote your time to making wild claims about how every building is a disaster and illogical and going to turn into a slum? Miami's condos aren't going to turn into vertical slums after dropping 30% in price, just as Toronto's waterfront condos didn't turn into slums after dropping more than 30% in the early 90s. In fact, I'd say it's a pretty good buying opportunity.

Miami has about 1/3 of the supply that Toronto has and probably 10x the amount of seasonal tourism so I doubt that the unsold inventory will fall into much disrepair.

The only development that I refererred to as a future slum was the subject of front page news recently so clearly my opinions are not isolated in a vacuum.

As far as MLS is concerned, I voiced my opinion that the project commanded an unjustified premium as a result of clever targeted marketing intended to capitalize on the absurd loyalties of the fan base.

I suppose my agenda (if any) is to throw cold water on the notion that condo investment in Toronto is anything but a can't lose proposition notwithstanding the late to the party trends that appear to be gripping the local marketplace. Certainly my intentions would be to capitalize on any distress that will undoubtedly result from the excess, but I am patient enough to wait it out for a while. Meantime I suppose I take the liberty to utilize this public forum to exercise my writing skills and voice my frustrations.

I apologize if my opinions offend you. Might I suggest the Romper Room forum for a more upbeat and less jaded take on life.

As far as MLS is concerned, I voiced my opinion that the project commanded an unjustified premium as a result of clever targeted marketing intended to capitalize on the absurb loyalties of the fan base.

But isn't most of today's condo sold as a result of clever marketing anyway? And I doubt anyone would get duped into a project and pay as you say "an unjustified premium" just because they happen to be a huge Leafs of Raptors fan. Buyers are more educated about condo purchasing then you might think.

those absurdly loyal fans can barely buy tickets to games, what makes you think they can buy a condo?

But isn't most of today's condo sold as a result of clever marketing anyway? And I doubt anyone would get duped into a project and pay as you say "an unjustified premium" just because they happen to be a huge Leafs of Raptors fan. Buyers are more educated about condo purchasing then you might think.

I agree. It's worth noting that it isn't just the branding - they are offering some perks for buyers which would definitely entice a fan. That said, no one in their right mind is going to buy a condo just because it's affiliated with their favourite team. If that were the case, they would've priced them much higher.

I'll say it again - this project had perhaps the most honest marketing campaign/name of any recent condo I can think of.

I agree. It's worth noting that it isn't just the branding - they are offering some perks for buyers which would definitely entice a fan. That said, no one in their right mind is going to buy a condo just because it's affiliated with their favourite team. If that were the case, they would've priced them much higher.

I'll say it again - this project had perhaps the most honest marketing campaign/name of any recent condo I can think of.

Ultimately the value of the suites comes down to the quality of the building, the finishes and the location. In my opinion this is a B location as far as Toronto is concerned. To be fair, I would say that the BEST spot on Queens Quay would only be a B+/A- due to the many drawbacks of the area. Personally, a view of Lake Ontario, frozen as it is 8 months a year, is not an amenity.

$500 per square foot to be immediately adjacent to a sport and concert arena seems like a paradox to me, even with a Longo's etc. Honestly, one would think that it would appeal more to student/post-grad housing than the supposed sophisticated buyer. I would think that suites in this project should rightfully command comparable pricing to the Conservatory building across the street. I don't have the data but I suspect that they are worth significantly less than $500 per square foot.

If I am mistaken then I apologize.

Ultimately the value of the suites comes down to the quality of the building, the finishes and the location. In my opinion this is a B location as far as Toronto is concerned. To be fair, I would say that the BEST spot on Queens Quay would only be a B+/A- due to the many drawbacks of the area. Personally, a view of Lake Ontario, frozen as it is 8 months a year, is not an amenity.

$500 per square foot to be immediately adjacent to a sport and concert arena seems like a paradox to me, even with a Longo's etc. Honestly, one would think that it would appeal more to student/post-grad housing than the supposed sophisticated buyer. I would think that suites in this project should rightfully command comparable pricing to the Conservatory building across the street. I don't have the data but I suspect that they are worth significantly less than $500 per square foot.

I have no idea why you're so wrapped up with it's affiliation to the Leafs.

I also have no idea what you consider a "sophisticated" buyer, but I'd think a property close to the Financial District, Union Station, two of the major venues in the city and near a soon to be revitalized waterfront is very desirable.

Seems a lot better for the "sophisticated" buyer than students (I'm curious to see why you feel it would be a good location for them considering it's distance from many of the major institutions in the city).

Lake Ontario doesn't freeze at all some winters. It may be cool down there because of the lake for several months, but the view would rarely be frozen. The harbour always has interesting activity to watch.

It's not students and post-grad who attend the games predominantly - there's a huge demographic range going. There are obviously enough hockey and basketball fans in this city to pay the premium to live here - the project sold out quickly.

Why keep huffing and puffing at this place? It's not going to blow down.

Lake Ontario doesn't freeze at all some winters. It may be cool down there because of the lake for several months, but the view would rarely be frozen. The harbour always has interesting activity to watch.

it's pretty brutal in the winter though, you gotta admit.

$500 per square foot to be immediately adjacent to a sport and concert arena seems like a paradox to me, even with a Longo's etc. Honestly, one would think that it would appeal more to student/post-grad housing than the supposed sophisticated buyer.

If being near occasional crowds of not quite rowdy people was sooo indesirable, no one would want to live anywhere south of Bloor.

20,000 drunk and rabid fans don't typically file out of Holt Renfrew on a given wednesday evening. When the stadium isn't used for sports it's filled with concert go-oers. Don't misunderstand me, I think the ACC is a great venue and is a perfect location for an arena. But I can't imagine why anyone would want to live next to it. I legitimately believe that many investors bought into this project simply because of the cache of the name. The Maple Leaf brand goes a long way- just look at the popularity of Tie Domi in the city for further evidence.

MLSE as far as I can remember from actually visiting the model centre when it opened way back when did have superior features as a standard, top notch amenity, and it would be a great quality building. As for the location, I disagree with you, I think it is one the best locations in Toronto close to almost everything city has to offer: CN Tower, Skydome, AC centre of course, St Lawrence market few blocks away, waterfront ofcourse, then there's the TTC Union station for people for who don't drive and Gardiner Ex for people who do. There's Sobey's, Loblaws, and Dominion for convenient grocery shopping. Did I miss anything else? Yes you are going to get occasional noises after the games, but what about other people living around the area such as Infinity, Pinnacle, and Cityplace projects near Skydome. I think people will constantly move into the area even with noise problem and deal with it because the location offers so much more than occasional nuisances.

Back