News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Residence College Hotel new Lecture Hall (90 Gerrard St. W, 2s, DSAI)

Late to the party here....

I used to live in the building circa 2002. Due to the threat of the double cohort, us University College students were put up in that building while the more fortunate ones get to stay at the Delta Chelsea.

The year I left residence was the year they bought the chestnut hotel. I always thought it was silly for the university to have bought the Chestnut instead of the Residence College Hotel. The RCH is a real residence with shared bathroom and shared kitchen, and not a HOTEL. While the Chestnut hotel from what I remember was a decent hotel and had a great Chinese restaurant. Plus it is further two blocks away from the main campus.

The RCH is an ugly building but could have been a great student residence had the university taken over with a stable student occupancy and don supervision; the shared facilities like kitchen, tv common room on every floor, swimming pool and gym really creates that university community feel. As a student who lived there, I had a good experience aside from a few iffy aspect of the building (more details below). I imagined that the University Health Network (UHN) weren't so keen to give up such a prime real estate to UofT back then?

But unfortunately Residence College Hotel under UHN management as a budget hotel/hostel suffered from poor management, lack of maintenance, disrepair (toilets keep flooding) and was constantly plagued by questionable guests/tenants. The UC students who stayed there the year before me were terrorized by a crazy guy call Paul who scream and bang on students doors in the middle of the night. It took ages for the management to evict that guy. In my year, we had a fellow student who had to move out his room after they found out his terminally-ill-next-door neighbour was shooting up drugs. We also overheard staff at the building mentioning that they found rooms with used condoms scattered around. (Not the freshmen experience we were expecting but whatever).

In the years after I left I also heard about the place being infested by bedbugs including one occasion four five years when I saw a hand-scrawl paper that said "They have Bed Bugs here" taped to the side entrance. Otherwise the only positive contribution the RCH served was providing cheap accommodation to out-of-town parents with kids who need to stay at Sick Kids for long and short term, ESL students from Mexico and people who otherwise can't afford to live alone in downtown Toronto.

It's really a lost opportunity that if they renovate the place a bit, replace the fixtures, and turned it into a residence as it was originally intended, it would've been a great use of this otherwise awful building. (They turned a couple floors into offices, but I suspect those plans didn't turn out so well) However when my friend who still lives there told me about the impending demolition to make way for a lecture hall, I don't think it ever occur to me that it's even in the realm of possibilities. All long term tenants are made to move out with some financial incentive, so I'm thinking that by "one storey" in the permit they really mean one storey (correct me if I'm wrong).

It seems like such a waste to tear down a standing building with no structural problem like that as horrible and ugly as the building is in its current state. If you ask me, they could at the very least turn that place into a homeless shelter and run it down for another 20 years before it needs to be knocked down. The most astounding thing to me is that they already have a lecture hall in the basement of the building!! It's quite small and shabby and maybe not something you want to show off to foreign medical researchers, but it hardly justifies razing the building to the ground (Can't they rent a hall nearby?). Unless there's some serious donors in the background who insist on a massive vanity project to have his name plaster all over a shiny brand new building (Lee Ka-shing?), I think there's some explaining to do pertaining to the cost of demolition and construction.

Plus there are talks that there are asbestos in the building. I have no idea how they can safely removing them from the building (they can't just put a wrecking ball through it I imagine). Any experts here? I just hope that it doesn't end up as one of those empty lots after the original building were cleared and the funds to build a new one either dry up or vanish.

And to end this long-winded reminiscent/rant, I have just been informed by my friend who's still living there that, 2 1/2 months before the scheduled demolition and 1 month before he moves out, the management is going to replace the lock on his door. WTF?? Please explain!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminiscence elle, but the building is not being torn down, per these two posts:

Sounds like they're just gutting the first level and putting in a lecture hall.

^ Right you are UD. The first sentence of the app. makes it sound like the whole building but the 2nd sentence would confirm your observation. Sorry if I upset anybody. :eek:

Interchange42,

I wasn't so sure with that assessment, not that I'm an expert at it, it would help if you could clarify it.

The building application for the lecture hall specifies it as a "new building" and the second sentence consist of only two words" One Storey". While the demolition report says "Demolition of existing 19 storey above grade and two storey below grade mixed use building".

^ I think what's confusing is the square footage they've listed. It doesn't add up.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO ON M5G 1J6

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 162558 DEM 00 DM Issued Date: Jun 1, 2010

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Demolition

Description: Demolition of existing 19 storey above grade and two storey below grade mixed use building. The total gross floor area of the building to be demolished is 19,480sf. Please see folder no. 09 148574 BLD 00 NB for the new building permit.

DM Building Inspection Pt3
Inspection Rygiel, Jerry Contact Info
Back to Search Results page

That is one strange building right now. It has a life of its own, sort of like something out of a JG Ballard novel.

I currently live across the street from it, and have noticed fences around it now, and most of the windows have been sealed off from the inside. Who is building a lecture hall there, University of Toronto?

I lived there for my first year at U of T. I was sad I wasn't right on campus :(
I would not mind if they demolished this building.

The windows being sealed indicates some sort of abatement program. It's still possible the shell will be re-used.

Nevermind ... demo it is

Last edited:
Remember: they can't simply demo "as is" if there's a risk of asbestos or whatnot particles'll be flying in the air...

Not really much to see, but the site's completely fenced off and AIM Demolition is on site. From today:

6956809583_bca8052e82_b.jpg

6956807885_1baf92f109_b.jpg

6956811625_6dd71a4846_b.jpg

So this is whats coming to this site............One story, is that a typo error or just part of a larger development for this site:confused:

Building Application Status
Application: New Building Status: Inspection

TORONTO ON M5G 1J6
Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 148574 BLD 00 NB Issued Date: Jun 7, 2010
Project: Lecture Hall New Building
Description: Permit to construct new lecture hall to be used by University Health Network. One storey. Demolition permit to follow at a later date.
NB Building Inspection Pt3 Sep 23, 2010

Inspection Rygiel, Jerry

Ugh.. I hope a one story development isn't happening here. Such waste of good space should be illegal. There should be minimum height requirements.

Back