News   May 07, 2024
 470     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 421     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 908     3 

Region has a transit plan, now what about money?

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Tolls and private sector could help make up Metrolinx's whopping $36 billion shortfall

Managing a regional transportation authority with eight different transit operators is fraught with problems. Metrolinx will eventually have to face the predictable institutional and political resistance, and amalgamate them into a single, regional operating entity. Uploading the responsibility for every aspect of transit except the delivery of service blurs accountability. More important, it will limit Metrolinx's ability to deliver a truly regional, car-competitive transit experience.

In the final analysis, however, it will be judged by its ability to find sustainable means of financing what is probably the largest regional transportation catch-up plan in the world.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/646501

For the record, the board report on new funding tools should be delivered to the board sometime in 2010.

When the government announced the 50 billion deficit like it was no big deal, the first thing that came to my mind was all of our ttc fantasy maps, and how resisters claim our plans would cost too much, or there's no money, the country will collapse, $50B is unrealistic etc. so, there seems to be billions for everything else with these people, just not for transit.

you have very smartly explained what is wrong with the country, and why we will continue to fall behind until we are completely left-out.

I think the major problem is some like Harper still see Public Transit as a way to help the poor get around.

He does not understand for it to truly work it needs to be reliable and as fast as a car.

I have always supported road tolls (and still do), but lately, I have been wondering if a regional additional gas tax would be more efficient. Whats a couple of extra cents per litre when gas is approaching $1/litre anyways? And another plus... no need for additional infrastructure :)

Any thoughts?

I have always supported road tolls (and still do), but lately, I have been wondering if a regional additional gas tax would be more efficient. Whats a couple of extra cents per litre when gas is approaching $1/litre anyways? And another plus... no need for additional infrastructure :)

Any thoughts?

Not an either/or situation. Tolls can have the advantage of shaping demand in terms of time of use pricing.

Back