Member Bio
Reaction score
Link via Urbanation

http://slessorsquare.com/

26 + 23 storey residential towers, and 7 storey retirement residence building

slessor.png

slessor2.png

Last edited:
I think that it's good for the area, but also think that we'll see the local residents put up a fight.

Don't do it Newmarket! You have the chance to turn back the clocks! (This looks like an ill-conceived project from the 80's that everyone regrets. What a piece of crap.)

^^ The colour is too pukey for my taste. I also don't like the blank walls or the boxy design of the towers. I think this one would benefit from setbacks, or perhaps the two towers could have differing designs rather than a simple copy and paste. It's just not daring enough.

everyone complain on the website, i put in my comments there about the design being "uninspired" and requesting something more modern...flood them with comments!

yucky brick colour, otherwise OK

i did too! i really think it is good, in theory, aside from how it looks. Seriously, i bet Newmarket hasn't had a street-oriented building constructed since before the wars. look at them now, with their podium mixed use!

also, on one picture in the website it looks like you can walk through from yonge to george, but in these renders it looks like you cant. you definitely should be able to, it'll connect the patch to the mall!

now all we have to do is get a sidewalk along both yonge and davis around the mall, and maybe we'll even get a pedestrian!

edit: the planners provide a site plan on their website that looks a lot better than what the project website is. anyone know whats up with that?http://groundswellplan.com/#portfolio?=portfoliolist its under 'Urban Revitalization' slide 6.

Last edited:
What would you change? I know it doesn't look especially fancy but it would likely look better if they spent more on the renderings...

The scale. It's relentless and monolithic. And beige. It's the kind of building that takes 10 mins to walk around and you can't get through it. You drive in and you drive out. Maybe take the dog into the 'garden' for a piss. Extremely suburban, and yes I know these are the suburbs, but that doesn't mean that they don't need to comply with good liveable built form.

podium in red brick, and cut the weird S building in half so you can walk through. also, an attempt at a green roof.

we gotta flood the website's comment section, like hixatchi said!

a little update: over the past year there was a lot of political back and forth, including a NIMBY group complaining about traffic and people being able to look into their yards (which is actually really funny if you think about it).

these people are complaining about a high rise that is walking distance to transit and food and geared towards old people, but the NIMBYS didn't say anything when an entire suburb started being built on top of a farm on the other side of the street. they are insane. which is why I love the next part:

Two days ago Newmarket town council unanimously voted that its OK to build it, at 19 and 20 stories. it is currently at the OMB, but Im sure we all know what that means.

In the feb. 11 council meeting, which you can watch on rogersTV if you like that sort of thing (?), a councillor said it will take 10 YEARS to build which I dont understand at all, but there you go. Newmarket's first high-rises. Woot!

Last edited:
a little update: over the past year there was a lot of political back and forth, including a NIMBY group complaining about traffic and people being able to look into their yards (which is actually really funny if you think about it).

these people are complaining about a high rise that is walking distance to transit and food and geared towards old people, but the NIMBYS didn't say anything when an entire suburb started being built on top of a farm on the other side of the street. they are insane. which is why I love the next part:

Two days ago Newmarket town council unanimously voted that its OK to build it, at 19 and 20 stories. it is currently at the OMB, but Im sure we all know what that means.

In the feb. 11 council meeting, which you can watch on rogersTV if you like that sort of thing (?), a councillor said it will take 10 YEARS to build which I dont understand at all, but there you go. Newmarket's first high-rises. Woot!

These will NOT be Newmarket's first high-rises. There are roughly 12 to 15 buildings that would be considered high-rises and one is as tall as this project and was built next to the city's main park and water feature. This stretch of Yonge St. is a very busy business area with the Upper Canada Mall just across the Street, a bus terminal and GO Train station within walking distance and the blue Viva line right at the front step. The city has big redevelopment plans for the entire "Yonge St. and Davis Dr." area. It includes more high- rise residential, along with office buildings, hotels, a public square, street level retail, and widened bus lanes to improve access to the greatly expanded Southlake Regional Hospital and Regional Cancer Centre.

Even if this was built as is, it would be better than the used car parking lot that has existed there for the past 20 years. I can't see any good reason for opposition organizers to attempt to stop this project. It certainly isn't being built smack in the middle of a 1980's-style single/semi-detached two-car-garage home neighborhood. Besides, all the nearest neighbors to this development already have mature trees in their back yards to protect their imagined "privacy".

Last edited:
It may be a couple of km, but it is easily walkable in 20 minutes or so. And no, not through cornfields, but rather, through pleasant neighborhoods with parks and schools. Do you know the neighbourhood very well...or are you just fishing for a reaction? ;) I believe the train is still available at the Old Tannery Mall as well.

Back