Ravine Continuity

Discussion in 'Toronto Issues' started by Dandy Horse, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Dandy Horse

Dandy Horse Active Member

The ravine in David Balfour Park is just one part of Toronto's incredible ravine system, but once you get to Mt Pleasant, there is no way to cross it, other than (very terrifying) J walking.

The same problem arises if you're trying to get from the Brickworks to the Don trails. And It probably happens in other places, too.

So, what should we do about this? should Mt pleasant get a pedestrian activated light, a tunnel, bridge, what?

2. Urban Shocker

Urban Shocker Doyenne

Manitobans build tunnels to help their snakes cross the highway, so I don't see why we can't do something on a slightly larger scale to help Torontonians.

3. DSC

DSC Senior Member

I think I read somewhere that the City are putting in a pedestrian light at the (certainly dangerous) David Balfour crossing this year and they installed lights at the Brickworks - Bayview crossing last year so crossing Bayview there is now pretty safe.

4. Lenser

Lenser Senior Member

That would be wonderful indeed. A way of linking of up a chain of ravines for pedestrians, bladers and cyclists would be fantastic.

5. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Senior Member

Not just humans or snakes need to cross the road in safety.

[video=youtube;OJqUte4qCU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJqUte4qCU8[/video]

[video=youtube;THW71ubUPSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THW71ubUPSM[/video]

6. adma

adma Superstar

Pathway tunnels strike me as very "New Town" in spirit (i.e. the progeny of Ebenezer Howard, Don Mills not excepted)

7. k10ery

k10ery Senior Member

From thelatestCyclometer:

So be sure to send in your comments.

To work on the connections to Brickworks are far from complete. Where are the Jersey barriers along Bayview that we were promised two years ago?

8. Torontovibe

Torontovibe Senior Member

Toronto has more ravines than other any major city in the world. It's a shame it just sits there undeveloped and mostly unused by Torontonians. When this city wakes up from its apathy, it might discover what a great asset it could be if it were to be developed properly. It's just waiting for us to act.

I'd like to see the ski hill in North York made bigger and developed as a decent resort. (assuming that global warming doesn't kill our ski hill)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  9. adma

adma Superstar

A lot of the "undevelopedness" may be a reflexive consequence of Hurricane Hazel, though. (Even if overreflexive-to-the-point-of-banality, a little like the rebuilding of many a European city following WWII damage. Such was the era.)

10. Riverdale Rink Rat

Riverdale Rink Rat Senior Member

Maybe, instead of new Humber islands, the Crosstown dirt could be piled up here to create a ski hill. Right now? This is a ski bump. How in heck -- and why -- would you develop this into anything?

11. Tulse

Tulse Senior Member

Depending on what you mean by "developed", I think that much of their charm is that they aren't developed, but are instead ribbons of wilderness projecting into the city. As for their use or lack thereof, that may partly be to a lack of awareness, as the city seems completely uninterested in promoting their existence.

12. Riverdale Rink Rat

Riverdale Rink Rat Senior Member

+1. I like the fact the city is uninterested in promoting ravines. It keeps them in a much more pristine state.