News   May 09, 2024
 584     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2K     4 

Question for those who know computers.

jn_12

Member Bio
Reaction score
So after 5 years, my girlfriend's computer seems to have died today. Pretty sure it's the motherboard because it died abruptly while she was using it (other option is that it's the power source, but it died the same way as my old computer, which was a motherboard problem). She also has a big old school clunky monitor that needed replacing as well. We looked around and figured that the combination of a new monitor and the cost to repair this computer probably isn't worth it. We've decided that it'd probably just be best for her to get a new computer. So my two questions are:

1. I looked around online for some deals. This one from Future Shop seems pretty good: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...10003673&CMP=ILC-FS_Flyer_Tracking&langid=EN#

Essentially, it's an Acer AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 7550 with an Acer 18.5in Wide LCD Monitor for $500. Vista home premium, 2.5ghz, 3GB ram, 320GB. She mostly will use it just for internet stuff and she plays the odd game like Roller Coaster Tycoon and the Sims. Her current computer was half as good as the above, so that's why we figure it makes sense to buy a new one, especially since it comes with a seemingly nice flatscreen monitor.

Does this seem like a good deal?

2. Obviously the old computer has all of her files on it. Would it be easy to simply remove that hard drive and put it in the new computer? If not, is there an easy way to get those files from her old computer (which can't turn on) to the new one? Also, would there be conflicts since XP is on the old hard drive, and this new one would have Vista?

I know Best Buy's Geek Squad will do it for $60 but the idea of bringing two computers in to them seems both bothersome and a bit risky knowing that they have a so-so reputation. If I could do it myself, that would be better. Plus I like learning new stuff like that...

I have a decent enough understanding of computers in that I know what people are talking about and I can follow instructions/troubleshoot, but I've never done much hands-on hardware stuff other than install a wireless card. So I'd be a bit concerned about adding a 2nd hard drive to her brand new computer, without knowing what I might be getting myself into.

I've tried googling for answers but haven't found a lot that I feel comfortable with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hay Jn_12,

Yes its actually quite a decent deal, You can get better but thats not bad, considering it comes with the monitor. And in the long run its worth the investment. (GET THE WARENTYS- spend the extra cash to save yourself the headache. trust me there)

As for the HD issue you can go about this a few ways. and ill go over them breifly, if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

1) if the monther board will accept the HD, (As it should, i don't see a reason it wouldn't) then you can do what we call a dual boot. In essence it allows you to have 2 opperating systems on one computer. you can then just suck them off quite easly onto a cd or a flash drive..

2) if it doesnt fit you can spend the extra cash and get a case for an external drive and make that drive a usb drive. It in essence gives you the same capibility as the step above. But its a work around incase the new motherboard only accepts sata drives. but it shouldnt.

3) some times you can get away with a straight data transfer while booted in vista, I've only got it to work once myself. and i knew where the root files i was look for were but its concievable to do.

There are other options open to you. such as the geek squad. but in essence thats what they will do. If your computer is a desktop then you can swap the HD if yours is xp as well and put the files on a jump drive. or if its a laptop you can get the external case and suck them off that way. both are very easy to do and not very time consuming.

Anyways i think that's all for now, if you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask and i will answer what I can for you ok.

im a tech and i would advise not to get an extended warranty from these places like FS/BB. if you google it you will make your decision on that quickly. these warranty products are the biggest money makers for these stores. your hardware will come with a warranty anyways from the manufacturer. computers usually fail in early use/life if they fail as well

your new computer will likely need an "IDE" interface to plug in older drives. the new standard is "SATA". again an IDE external hard drive product could work which would plug in via USB if you need to go that route

i would suggest going to canada computers and telling the guy exactly what you want and you will get options at better prices almost all the time. whats why everyone likes to price match at FF/BB when buying single parts. (mention the need for IDE to be able to use your old hard drive) and these options wont be based on trying to sell more for commission (canada computers during the recession has removed commission unlike FS/BB)

edit: hard drives are easy to install. two wires plug into it after you screw the drive into the case. just make sure the power is off before you do anything and youll be fine. once powered on the computer should auto detect it and youll see more drives in "my computer" (drive letters like C: D: E: F: etc) and just find your folders and copy them over

Last edited:
I apoligies, goodyer is right, i should have specified which warenty, most manufactures will give you extended warenties. there good to have. For the comptuer he was getting, with the monitor it was a decent price. I didn't say the best but decent.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check out canada computers and see what they have.

try canadacomputers.com or tigerdirect.ca, they got nice prices
your old HD should be fine, just pull that out and attach to your new computer

those geek squad ppl kinda suck too, they dont know what they are doing most of their time

just go into their store or call them on the phone and they should be able to help you out

Definitely don't get suckered into a Best Buy/Future Shop extended warranty. With a desktop, if something breaks you can probably just open up the case yourself and fix it with a cheap part. I only go with warranties on laptops, and even then you always want to get your warranties directly from the manufacturer, not through the store.

Have you checked Dell's prices? I'm pretty well strictly a Mac guy with my home computers now, but at work we get all our machines through Dell and they've been quite reliable.

Personally, I would avoid computers from Best Buy or Futureshop altogether. They suck, and they are overpriced. Or at least they were, I haven't bought a computer from them in a long time.

They've been a lot better in the last few years, specially when you get something decent on sale. But yah, tiger direct is good too.
Let us know what you end up getting. And what you paid for it.

Well I went to Canada Computers today and the guy couldn't believe Future Shop had that deal. He couldn't beat it. I'll shop around a bit more and see what's out there. Thanks for the help folks.

Yah, like I said it was a good deal. Specially because it comes with a Monitor.
You said it was a 22" correct?

That Acer deal is okay; a friend of mine has basically the same model, only got a 22" flatscreen with it. About $580 tax included at FS. It's worked fine over the past 6 months. Do not buy their warranty--the sales rep makes a commission on it....

There are a lot of good deals out right now which makes now a good time to buy. You can generly get places to price match. so do your research... could save you some green

So we went out and bought the computer. We went with the computer from Future Shop. I think she's happy with the choice, so that's all that matters really.

One problem. The tower is tiny and will not fit a second hard drive, so now I'm going to need to figure out a way to take her old hard drive and move her files to her new computer.

Does anyone have any cheap ideas? I could get an external hard drive case and put the hard drive in there, but I don't really know much about that. Is that an easy solution?

Back