News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Question about Cityplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

GovernorARNOLD

Member Bio
Reaction score
The likes of Adam Vaughan and many Torontonians believe CityPlace will fail as a community.

Why is Cityplace predicted to turn into slum dump, and not areas like king+Shaw & Queens Quay etc.

There are also much of the identical condos. All in the 550 - 950 sq range made by various developers. They are not built for families either, and mostly occupied by young professionals. But no one complains about those areas. If this belief of density is to fail, wouldn't downtown Toronto in general turn into a slum dump and not just CityPlace.

I posted this question in the Cityplace GM article thread, but responded. Not even Sir Novelty Fashion. Share your thoughts.

I don't see CP turning into slum. When SJT was built the middle class was fleeing the city, leaving the working poor to occupy the units. This is not the case now, and anyone worth their salt wants to live in the city core, not in some box in the 3M (Markham, Milton, Mississauga) or Brampton. Thus, there will always be people willing to pay high rents for top quality condos in city place. As you say, CP will only be a slum if the entire city takes a big downturn.

St. James Town also has a high concentration of low-income renters, which Cityplace does not have. This was an unfortunate decision back in the days when concentrating low-income people in only a few places was felt to be the way to go.

Cityplace has been slow to acquire amenities (local retailing and coffee shops, the park), and could be somewhat more welcoming at street level. That said, it isn't by any stretch a slum, and I can't see how it will develop into one, particularly given its good location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back