News   May 07, 2024
 413     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 901     3 

Queens Quay Opinions

savevp

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello. As probably all of you here on UT are aware, WaterfronToronto is undergoing a multi-million dollar revitalization of Queens Quay.
queensquaynew.jpg

newwaterfront1.jpg

The stated goal of WaterfronToronto is to make Queen's Quay one of greatest streets in the world. So, do you think that it is possible for the street to live up to this lofty title?
Judge by its street life, amenities and attractions, then compare to the planned layout from WaterfronToronto, available here.

My concern is the section near Bathurst Street, where the plan shows there will be a gap in the waterfront trail.

For me, my concern is the North side of Queens Quay, East of Yonge. I think that besides the brutalist Toronto Star building and the Loblaws everything has to go. I don't think that the street can be so spectacular with outlet shops and the Guvernment on it.

I am also concerned about Queen's Quay east at Parliament. I wonder if a bridge can be made to integrate it with the Soya Mills silos.

In the central waterfront there is one site that could make or break their goal of becoming one of the greatest streets in the world: the parking lot at QQ/Rees. If they can turn that into something awesome (in my opinion, it has to be more than just HTO Park North) then you have a central waterfront that approaches that goal.

I think one of the best things about this goal is that everything east of Yonge is a blank slate. The opportunity to dream makes it possible to have such a lofty goal.

Here's the key, will there be office development on the east side? The answers yet (I saw a huge ammount for lease recently in one of the new developments) but will it be filed.
That's the difference between an area that's active on the weekend vs all week / year round

If they really want to achieve that goal, the architecture is going to have to match. What's there now isn't very good, so hopefully future developments on this strip really raise the bar.

^ Disagree almost completely. Make a list of the great streets of the world. How many have amazing/unique architecture? Champs Elysee? nope, unless you count the Arc De Triomphe. La Rambla? nope. Broadway? that's not what makes it great. Any of the major streets in London. Nothing that sets themselves apart.

A great street is about the experience and you can have great experiences without iconic buildings. It's about the space provided, the services/shops on the street and the atmosphere it creates. Sure, one or two great buildings or monuments can help (particularly if they bookend the street), but great architecture all along the street isn't a necessity.

Last edited:
^Exactly. Thanks for the illustration HD. Queen's Quay can't compare to any of those at this point.

I agree with jn_12. The success or failure of this street has very little to do with architectural excellence. Many Torontonians love Queen West, but there's a lot of "bad" architecture in that strip. What matters more is that the place is exciting because of the amenities, the pedestrian experience, and the general vibe of the place. If we need to have Parisian architecture - much of it built around 1850 when Paris was the third-largest city in the world - we should just give up now.

I agree with jn_12. The success or failure of this street has very little to do with architectural excellence. Many Torontonians love Queen West, but there's a lot of "bad" architecture in that strip. What matters more is that the place is exciting because of the amenities, the pedestrian experience, and the general vibe of the place.

We're not talking about the simple success of the street itself - we're talking about making it one of the best streets in the world. If that's the goal, one cannot ignore the architecture that's an integral part of the strip. Take away the architectural context these streets wouldn't be the same.

If we need to have Parisian architecture - much of it built around 1850 when Paris was the third-largest city in the world - we should just give up now.

Architectural excellence is what's being suggested, not a recreation of Paris.

Hipster Duck - I've been on all of those streets, so the photo tour was unnecessary. Fact is, those streets aren't unique within their city in terms of the architecture. So if we're championing their architecture, we might as well simply say that Toronto can't compare to London, Paris, New York and Barcelona in terms of architecture. What sets these streets apart within their own town's (and then amongst global competition) is other intangibles. If anything, I don't think you can create a street that is the best in the world. It just happens and it happens without regard for whether the architecture is unique or not. Dubai is a prime example of how architecture isn't enough to do anything.

Hipster Duck - I've been on all of those streets, so the photo tour was unnecessary. Fact is, those streets aren't unique within their city in terms of the architecture. So if we're championing their architecture, we might as well simply say that Toronto can't compare to London, Paris, New York and Barcelona in terms of architecture. What sets these streets apart within their own town's (and then amongst global competition) is other intangibles. If anything, I don't think you can create a street that is the best in the world. It just happens and it happens without regard for whether the architecture is unique or not. Dubai is a prime example of how architecture isn't enough to do anything.

The architecture is one of the elements that makes these streets some of the best in the world. It's a combination of everything. If Queens Quay aspires to that level, the architecture is going to have to match.

Back