News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 368     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 569     0 

Queen W & Portland fire

Very sad. That was a great strip, Duke's and Suspect Video were Queen West fixtures.

It looks as if the former King Sol building beside the Reverb was spared, as was residential the south side of the block facing Richmond (so I don't think there's going to be room for another big box).

I'm sorry, I just saw this and wow... the hammer is dropping soon....

queenfiread.png

I would be amazed if this is not treated as suspicious. Buildings directly adjacent to scarce developable land don't just happen to catch fire at 5AM with nobody in them. Or at least not very often.

Heritage buildings and Suspect video gone, one of the top 3 best video stores in the city. Heartbreaking. Thankfully no one hurt.

I am hoping the buildings can be sort-of saved, or at least reconstructed. The last thing I want to see there is a shiny glass condo.

i guess those were the explosives they were worried about.

-edit-

meth lab has been ruled out. heard it on the news right now.

my first thought when I saw this this morning was that it was drug related. It's a shame.

Well this fires clears the way for a height boost to the Rio-Can proposal: the same height as the Burrough's building would be about right. Peter Freed, are you ready? Lofts on Queen West....

I used to live across the street from this site. I wonder if any of my old neighbours got burnt out today? Preloved wow that's a big loss. Otherwise, I must say the landlords along this stretch are total jerks and it wouldn't surprise me if they're secretly happy.

Wow.

Its over.

Now get ready for some eyetalian from Vaughan to build an eyesore on Queen West while claiming he’s doing the best he can to preserve the area’s heritage. :rolleyes:

Back