News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

Quebec City Trip

I really wanna go to Quebec City during the Winter Carnival and slide down the ice slides

The only time I've been to Quebec City was during Carnival a few years ago. Lots of fun. I'm going back in a month to go snowboarding and staying in the City. Looking forward to that trip a lot

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Quebec City. It was a lot of fun. We stayed downtown at a small boutique hotel inside the city walls. We had a great breakfast at the Sagamité restaurant of bison on a potato base with egg and hollandaise sauce. The next day we had the buffet breakfast at the Château Frontenac, where it's cheaper on weekdays and included fantastic crêpes and made to order salmon benedict. For lunch we had poutine and a pint at Pub St-Alexandre. Our final dinner was at L'Omelette, right across the street from our hotel. It is such a great walkable old city. We did a guided tour of the citadel, rode the funicular multiple times, and took a river cruise to see Montmorency Falls. I was disappointed that the naval museum was closed, but otherwise a fantastic trip. VIA Rail there and back was flawless, and Quebec's Place de la Gare has to one of the prettiest train stations I've seen in Canada. And the autumn colour of the leaves combined with the unseasonable warmth was perfect for spending all day outside - we walked 18,000 steps two days in a row.

One of the best things about Quebec City, at least from my limited experience within the old city walls is the total lack of vagrants, junkies, beggars, encampments, litter and graffiti. I don't know how they do it, as I saw zero police, minus two friendly, jovial officers directing traffic during the Sunday marathon. It was like walking around Epcot or to my memory, Singapore, with people enjoying themselves at open air restaurants and parks. I appreciate the old city is the tourist district, so likely gets special attention from the multiple levels of government, but again I saw zero enforcement activity. What's their secret?

So, I highly recommend a trip to Quebec City. Just leave your car at home and take the train. Pack light as the boutique hotels have lots of stairs and do not have elevators.

Last edited:
My wife and I just returned from a trip to Quebec City. It was a lot of fun. We stayed downtown at a small boutique hotel inside the city walls. We had a great breakfast at the Sagamité restaurant of bison on a potato base with egg and hollandaise sauce. The next day we had the buffet breakfast at the Château Frontenac, where it's cheaper on weekdays and included fantastic crêpes and made to order salmon benedict. For lunch we had poutine and a pint at Pub St-Alexandre. Our final dinner was at L'Omelette, right across the street from our hotel. It is such a great walkable old city. We did a guided tour of the citadel, rode the funicular multiple times, and took a river cruise to see Montmorency Falls. I was disappointed that the naval museum was closed, but otherwise a fantastic trip. VIA Rail there and back was flawless, and Quebec's Place de la Gare has to one of the prettiest train stations I've seen in Canada. And the autumn colour of the leaves combined with the unseasonable warmth was perfect for spending all day outside - we walked 18,000 steps two days in a row.

One of the best things about Quebec City, at least from my limited experience within the old city walls is the total lack of vagrants, junkies, beggars, encampments, litter and graffiti. I don't know how they do it, as I saw zero police, minus two friendly, jovial officers directing traffic during the Sunday marathon. It was like walking around Epcot or to my memory, Singapore, with people enjoying themselves at open air restaurants and parks. I appreciate the old city is the tourist district, so likely gets special attention from the multiple levels of government, but again I saw zero enforcement activity. What's their secret?

So, I highly recommend a trip to Quebec City. Just leave your car at home and take the train. Pack light as the boutique hotels have lots of stairs and do not have elevators.
I lived there for four years while at university, and I have returned many times. I always miss it. I gather your hotel was on St-Louis; my last apartment was on rue d'Auteuil, not far from there.

......What's their secret?

Quebec Social Assistance Rates:
1696522715706.png

Ontario Social Assistance Rates:

1696522773422.png

That's most of the secret right there, an extra $10,652 per year or $887 per month in extra support.

The rest of the secret is lower rents, combine the two, and you have low-income people who are more likely to be housed.

Notwithstanding that, homelessness is growing in Quebec, in part because rents have been shooting up in Montreal.

But as at 2023, the entire province of Quebec had ~10,000 visible homeless.

For comparison, the City of Toronto alone has more than 11,000.

Last edited:

Back