News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 888     0 

Quebec City Trip

Roy G Biv

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm spending the weekend in Quebec City. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to go in years, so I'm quite disconnected with the scene.

Any tips on what to see and where to eat?

Thanks!

For Poutine, nothing beats the small Chez Ashton chain. There's one in the old city.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...,-71.2106&sspn=0.001167,0.004426&ie=UTF8&z=17

I've been to Quebec City once, but that was on an organized learning conference at Laval University, and only spent some time in the old city. Never went for any fancy meals, though there are some good gastropubs on Rue St-Jean towards Route 175.

What to see? I didn't see any of the museums, but went on the free tours of the Quebec Legislature (they have frequent English tours, and interesting when I went as the legislature was in session) and the Citadel. Of the two, do the Legislature.

The local downtown (as opposed to the touristy old city - though it is like Old Montreal, it isn't entirely avoided by locals) is along Rue St-Joseph, and has been coming back from its isolation by the autoroutes and the downtown mall that nearly killed it.

Fine dining? Try the Saint-Amour, within the walls of the Old City. I had some spectacular fare there a few years ago - around $100 per person foran everything-in dinner. This summer I had a less expensive, delicious rustic meal of locally sourced meats and veg that at the Restaurant Sous Le Fort near Place Royale, down below the Chateau Frontenac. Very good despite the touristyness of the area, and in a wonderfully old, charming building.

Avoid the tour of the Frontenac, led by turn-of-the-century costumed guides, unless you can handle the sugary sweetness of the tour's tone. It's one of those '"we're all pretending it's 100 years ago" type things. Ick. Walk the halls of the building on its own however - wow!

If you have a car when you're there, take a half day (or more) and head out for a round-the-island tour of Ile d'Orleans just to the east of the city in the Saint Lawrence River. Gorgeous, with lots of artisanal food producers to stop into.

If you don't have time for Ile d'Orleans or no car, make sure you walk not just the Dufferin Terrace, but the walkways suspended over the wooded cliffs surrounding the Citadel. Stunning views! I think they open up best when started at the west end, so approach from the Plaines of Abraham end. Maybe a visit to the Citadel first?

Anyway, it's such a beautiful city - have a great time!

I had a great dinner this spring with some friends at a Swiss fondue restaurant near the river. It's name escapes me, but I'm sure it's pretty unique.

I had fun in Quebec, though (was there for a conference, so not much time to see the city). My mediocre french made for some interesting encounters.

If you're into the heart-stoppingly sublime, walk across the Quebec Bridge
2369332747_11aa120284.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking that when I was driving out of town.

Interesting picture. As a trivia question, is that the bridge which collapsed into the river at the time of its original construction, or would that be another bridge?

Thanks guys. I'm staying at Hotel Port Royal Suites in Vieux Quebec... it's down by the port.

Quebec City-Perhaps the closest North America gets to Europe....

RGB: I recall my visit to Quebec City in September 1985-I felt a little out of place because of my feeble French-and being a anglophone as I am but I felt that the Old City could be the closest North America gets to a European-style City. I remember going to places like the Quebec Parliament or National Assembly building also.

I also wanted to mention being told to visit Montmorency Falls nearby if I got a chance-unfortunately I did not do so. I would enjoy exploring it some more today if I could.....LI MIKE

Ah, Montmorency Falls. The sight of it always made me think that Bugs Bunny was under there singing "April Showers", while Blacque Jacque Shellacque build zee dam

I really wanna go to Quebec City during the Winter Carnival and slide down the ice slides :p

I miss Quebec City, it's really an amazing place that we're very lucky to have in Canada.

I really wanna go to Quebec City during the Winter Carnival and slide down the ice slides :p

Go! Quebec City coated in snow and lit up at night is worth the trip alone. Book your hotel room now, though.

Back