News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Property taxes

I found my property tax bill from 1998, six payments of $450 ($2,700 annually). Per the BoC, that's $4,047 in 2020 dollars. My actual taxes are over $6,000 a year, or almost 50% higher than they were in 1998 after adjusted for inflation. I'm never selling the house, so its value has no relevance to me, but my use of city services does, and I use very little.
This is partly explained by the City's decision about a decade ago to start charging MUCH more for water to help deal with the huge backlog of water repairs and upgrades and to start billing for garbage in a different (and higher) way.

This is partly explained by the City's decision about a decade ago to start charging MUCH more for water to help deal with the huge backlog of water repairs and upgrades and to start billing for garbage in a different (and higher) way.
I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with how the price of Policing the city has risen way above inflation whilst in the near total absence of visible street-level policing, crime has continued to decline.

I don't think crime has declined by really any major indicator, maybe it's stayed flat, maybe increased slightly ... look at this:

Back