News   May 01, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 378     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 370     0 

Princess Margaret Hospital Expansion/Renovation (?, ?, Hariri Pontarini/NORR)

It looks really impressive. The ground floor remains a construction zone, and no suggestions of the improvements shown in the video are evident yet. It will be nice to see the end of the hoarding, narrowed halls, etc.

I was there just before the holidays - the stone flooring they have laid down so far is very nice.

AoD

Last edited:
Ah, I walked right by and didn't notice. Will check next time.

If my sense inside the building is correct (and you can never be sure in any hospital), I think the flooring is the type illustrated here right in front of the future PMHF office (vs. the granite? proposed elsewhere):

AoD

Toronto Public Health investigating Listeria outbreak at Druxy’s deli at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Alina Bykova, Toronto Star, 21 March 2018

Druxy's has been closed by Public Health, and it seems this is not its first infraction.

It is a dreary place, clearly with no investment in the place since the mid-1990s, and I can't imagine it competes well against the nearby Mount Sinai food court.

I assume (hope) the Princess Margaret Transformation includes a re-do of the Druxy's space (might be inevitable now), and possibly too a re-think of the Tim Hortons at the University Ave entrance?

Toronto Public Health investigating Listeria outbreak at Druxy’s deli at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Alina Bykova, Toronto Star, 21 March 2018

Druxy's has been closed by Public Health, and it seems this is not its first infraction.

It is a dreary place, clearly with no investment in the place since the mid-1990s, and I can't imagine it competes well against the nearby Mount Sinai food court.

I assume (hope) the Princess Margaret Transformation includes a re-do of the Druxy's space (might be inevitable now), and possibly too a re-think of the Tim Hortons at the University Ave entrance?

Nice - I ate there 3, 4 weeks ago :eek: (thankfully I am not a patient nor immunocompromised) - and I can't imagine what it could do to someone who is. The place is expensive too - and the portions are ridiculous (like a corned beef combo comes with a coleslaw the size of take out condiments container) considering it cost more than 10 bucks.

Actually what the hospital need to do is think about the food services needs of cancer patients - what the outlet serves is more often than not unpalatable for visiting patients who are already for one reason or another losing weight and have trouble maintaining their food intake. It's patently ridiculous - it's like a cardiac hospital serving fries and poutine only. What the hospital should do is turn it into a food stall that - beyond serving the immediate dining needs of patients - also sells ready to serve meals for patients and their family who are otherwise too exhausted to deal with cooking after a day of treatment and running around the place for 5 different appointments and tests.

AoD

Last edited:
Since the goal of Princess Margaret would be to maximum revenue from this space, a more modern take on food options, including ready-to-serve meals as you suggest, would be in everyone's best interest. PMH doesn't have the same amount of ground floor space as Mount Sinai or TGH, so they need to really think about how to better use this space.

They might, however, be stuck with some lengthy lease and an unambitious tenant.

Since the goal of Princess Margaret would be to maximum revenue from this space, a more modern take on food options, including ready-to-serve meals as you suggest, would be in everyone's best interest. PMH doesn't have the same amount of ground floor space as Mount Sinai or TGH, so they need to really think about how to better use this space.

They might, however, be stuck with some lengthy lease and an unambitious tenant.

Probably. I wonder just how much they could squeeze out from that space - I can't imagine it would be all that significant relative to the amount of donation PMCF has gotten over the years.

AoD

Probably. I wonder just how much they could squeeze out from that space - I can't imagine it would be all that significant relative to the amount of donation PMCF has gotten over the years.

AoD

No, fair enough, but the Province pressures hospitals to leave no stone unturned when it comes to generating revenue where possible, and there is no way that space is as profitable as it potentially could be. It certainly isn't as useful.

No, fair enough, but the Province pressures hospitals to leave no stone unturned when it comes to generating revenue where possible, and there is no way that space is as profitable as it potentially could be. It certainly isn't as useful.

Honestly they need a bigger waiting area on the ground floor - and this space would serve perfectly.

AoD

I don't disagree with that. You mean for the blood clinic or the pharmacy?

Nope (though yes, those two clinics needed additional waiting area as well) - I was referring to how the back lobby is used as the waiting area for pickups/dropoffs and how insufficient that space is. I can't imagine how the busy/noisy/crowded space works for someone who just got pumped full of chemo waiting for their ride. It's stressful as hell - heck even going there as a caregiver stresses me out - I always end up exhausted after going to PMH.

AoD

Last edited:
Not sure that they can afford to give up any revenue stream, but they likely could have the space serve multiple purposes by opening it up as a lounge/waiting area with, as you suggested, food and coffee kiosks. Their food revenues could actually grow if it is done right.

And, of course, getting rid of the listeria will help too.

Not sure that they can afford to give up any revenue stream, but they likely could have the space serve multiple purposes by opening it up as a lounge/waiting area with, as you suggested, food and coffee kiosks. Their food revenues could actually grow if it is done right.

And, of course, getting rid of the listeria will help too.

I wish they could think broader too - actually have an interactive food outlet that would let patients taste test some products to pick what they could stomach.

AoD

Back