News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

presale condos and townhouses: best bang for your buck in GTA?

asiancolossus

Member Bio
Reaction score
All talk aside from the condo bubble, where are the best deals to be had in the presale condo and townhouse scene? Downtown seems very steep at 500/square foot and up to 800 in the "luxury" segment. Do you go out into the suburbs? Seems like even there, 300 to 400/square foot is commonplace. The question I have is, if you are going to invest, would you invest in a central location that has the risk of being vastly overpriced or the less popular locations that are up and coming and take the chance of the price being reasonable but still has upward price potential?

personally i would invest in a place just outside of downtown (say 10-15 minutes) ..... east or west of toronto is better imo since going north is pretty overpriced already (IE North York, Thornhill, Richmond Hill).

I think the following have great upward potential:
East York
The Queensway all along from Parklawn to Sherway Gardens is ripe for redevelopment.
Kingston Rd. past the beaches.

I could hit you with a lot of old cliches, but the fact is there is a loth of wisdom backing them up.
"Location Location Location"
" you get what you pay for"
I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.
Downtown is expensive and that is where the market tends to stay strong. It goes up in value sooner and quicker when the market is climbing and tends to be more resilient when the market softens.
At the end of day though it IS your home and you need to decide where the quality of life as you percieve it, fits best for you.

Location near a subway or transit station is a definite plus, especially outside the metro area.
Also located in a mixed used development (with retailclose by) is a positive selling feature.

Markham and Richmond Hill are growing rapidly and it's proximity to Highway 7 and 404 (and the GO Train) would attract downtown commuters.
The Sheppard and 404 area in North York is another area of great growth.

All talk aside from the condo bubble, where are the best deals to be had in the presale condo and townhouse scene? Downtown seems very steep at 500/square foot and up to 800 in the "luxury" segment. Do you go out into the suburbs? Seems like even there, 300 to 400/square foot is commonplace. The question I have is, if you are going to invest, would you invest in a central location that has the risk of being vastly overpriced or the less popular locations that are up and coming and take the chance of the price being reasonable but still has upward price potential?

Yonge + Eglinton.

Markham and Richmond Hill are growing rapidly and it's proximity to Highway 7 and 404 (and the GO Train) would attract downtown commuters.
The Sheppard and 404 area in North York is another area of great growth.

Ha.

I think Emerald City 2 @ $400 psf and direct access to the subway @ Sheppard and don mills is good value. Preview agent pricing really looks gr8 and includes parking.

Back