News   May 07, 2024
 597     3 
News   May 07, 2024
 422     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 356     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

This is the latest in UK where they too are 'fighting back for motorists" - let's hope Doug does not start this kind of thing here as he tries (so far amazingly unsuccessfully) to make us forget the stench of corruption hanging over him!

"Rishi Sunak is to prioritise the interests of millions of car owners with a series of measures that will provoke environmentalists and curb the power of local councils.

In a package expected to be announced at the Tory conference on Monday, the prime minister will set out his “plan for motorists” that will limit the number of 20mph speed restrictions and favour drivers over bus passengers.

The move would be hugely controversial, setting ministers on a collision course with local authorities, who rely on their powers to keep bus lanes traffic free.

Sunak’s plan is the latest in a recent series of contentious policy ideas, such as his watering down of net zero targets, designed to revive his government and create clear dividing lines with Labour.

He has also raised the prospect of paring back the hugely over-budget HS2 rail line – though he refused to provide clarity on his plans on Thursday." See: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ar-use-20mph-speed-limit-traffic-camera-fines

Another interesting tweet today from Colin:
Screenshot_20231003_202924.jpg

Because the premier mixed personal/official use, they are claiming they'd have to sift through all logs, call all contacts of interactions, or somehow else determine what was private and what was public... And that would be too time consuming, so... Too bad not getting anything.

I can't understand this day and age (even after high profile politicians who got caught; e.g. Hillary Clinton) that we still can't get what I'd consider really simple ethical use of non-personal devices...

I would argue, if it is a cellphone provided/paid by the crown, then the public should be able to see records (excluding obvious sensitive government matters of confidentiality). If you use it for private matters, then you should have realized this was privilege, realizing it could all be subject to public scrutiny.

It all just stinks to hell...

Edit: I should have indicated if a phone is used for public matters above as well re: cell use as I understand the premier used a private cell phone

Lock him up! Lock him up!

I realize your engaging in sarcastic hype.......

Thing is.......not that this Premier is the first..............

But the rather overt choices to act in favour of private interests over public interests if not outright criminal surely should be in most people's eyes, irrespective of ideology or partisan preference, unacceptable.

Doug never ended up suing the Globe and Mail over the allegation of having been a significant drug dealer.........

I actually don't care that much about the substance of the allegation, except, that if true, which the absence of litigation seems to suggest, provides a pattern of disregard for the law for personal gain.

That we now have the Greenbelt scandal; and related questions (enlarging Hamilton's urban boundary etc.)

As well as questions over Ontario Place, which, personal preferences aside, are driven by a high degree of secrecy about financial and other terms in said contract.

Do I know for certain, under the laws as written, that the current Premier belongs in prison................No.

Do I feel confident that his conduct is unbecoming of the office, that this is highly apparent across a range of files in a way few premiers have managed...............yes.

Is a resignation overdue? Certainly.

I wouldn't get caught up on jail as some critical idea, providing the damage done can be reversed; mind you, I wouldn't feel bad about that outcome either.

Last edited:
Doug never ended up suing the Globe and Mail over the allegation of having been a significant drug dealer.........
Well, who knows now. Breaking Bad at Deco? (Funny how we don't hear how *that* business is doing. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the Ontario Place Temple Bell is being stored; maybe as a play toy like Randy's fire engine?)

I realize your engaging in sarcastic hype.......

I wouldn't get caught up on jail as some critical idea, providing the damage done can be reversed; mind you, I wouldn't feel bad about that outcome either.

I just want some consistency from the right. If Hillary should be locked up, so should Ford. But I know hypocrisy is the bedrock of political discourse so we'll never see it.

Just my prediction, but since this Greenbelt corruption scandal isn't going away at all, there will be pressure for Ford to step down. Maybe it takes a few more by-election losses or something, but the party will force him out.

Just my prediction, but since this Greenbelt corruption scandal isn't going away at all, there will be pressure for Ford to step down. Maybe it takes a few more by-election losses or something, but the party will force him out.

If the Party starts seeing a decline in support and loss of seats they will toss Ford in a heartbeat.

If the Party starts seeing a decline in support and loss of seats they will toss Ford in a heartbeat.
There is a great deal of concern among the members, scandals are not going away, more will come to the top of the gravy. All we need is another crisis, i.e. healthcare, freedumb convoy etc. and him disappear to the cottage for the duration.

That's my biggest problem with Doug Ford and "his" conservative party - the lack of transparency and real dialogue on anything. From the mandate letters (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/crown-lawyer-hours-ford-mandate-letters-1.6891876), this Greenbelt fiasco, the highway project, Ontario Place, etc. As much as I respect strong leadership and getting things done, what's getting done is complete tone deaf and done so much in secrecy.

That's my biggest problem with Doug Ford and "his" conservative party - the lack of transparency and real dialogue on anything. From the mandate letters (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/crown-lawyer-hours-ford-mandate-letters-1.6891876), this Greenbelt fiasco, the highway project, Ontario Place, etc. As much as I respect strong leadership and getting things done, what's getting done is complete tone deaf and done so much in secrecy.
That was exactLy the way he operated at city hall, and we (Toronto) did warn the rest of the province about his corrupt behaviour. He was a sneaky bully and staff would dance around him, he had his staff report and spy on others and the atmosphere was horrible. He would use security staff as his personal guards and I know that at least 1 or 2 had to be transferred to other locations. So “folks” who supported him or neglected to vote got exactly that.

Back