News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

potential lots for large development?

sodapop

Member Bio
Reaction score
i was thinking about undeveloped lots that could fit a fairly large development in the core (130-300 meters) and not to many spring to mind... anybody have any? i think it'd be awesome if they built some cool midrises on top of union and the public dominion building along front and then of course there is 90 harbour which could hold a couple buildings, also what building types would you like to see built on these lots or on top of heritage buildings. :)

There's the lot bounded by Front/Lower Sherbourne/The Esplanade/ Princess. Now home to a Sobeys and a car dealer with one other building. Clearly this site will be developed, but when?

Also the lot at Parliament/Berkeley/Front/King where the Staples is and where the Porsche dealer is building. Sooner, or more likely later, this lot will be developed.

There are actually quite a few lots available (depending on where you draw your boundaries for the core)

1) South side of Richmond, East of Victoria (very large lot, previously zoned for 2 30-storey'ish towers if I recall)

2) Of course the huge block from Dalhousie to Mutual, south of Shuter, north of Queen.

3) The s/w corner of Church/King back to Colborne

4) The Grace Hospital + Adjacent parking (s/w corner Bloor and Church)

5)The plaza on Yonge (I know its not vacant, but its only 1.5 storey) ....east side, south of Maitland I think

i was thinking about undeveloped lots that could fit a fairly large development in the core (130-300 meters) and not to many spring to mind... anybody have any? i think it'd be awesome if they built some cool midrises on top of union and the public dominion building along front and then of course there is 90 harbour which could hold a couple buildings, also what building types would you like to see built on these lots or on top of heritage buildings. :)

Great Idea!

The portlands.

Rexdale(?)

Last edited:
^ Haha! I agree about Rexdale - in my opinion virtually the entire thing is one massive site that needs to be re-developed.

Bloor & Church street has an empty lot that would be perfect for a super-tall. Also Church & Dundas needs something significant. Actually much of Dundas is in need of redevelopment, especially that empty strip mall at Jarvis. It's been empty for a long time. Both sides of Jarvis & Dundas are empty and ready for some tall towers. Why is Dundas so neglected? Those run down restaurants on the west side of Dundas, (between Bay & University) should be redeveloped too. A tall tower would fit in there. The Sherbourne & Bloor area, going south to St. James town is also another area that is ripe for redevelopment. Those houses south of Bloor are empty and falling apart. It's another area that's perfect for tall condos.

Last edited:
LCBO at King and Spadina

Northern Light suggests: 3) The s/w corner of Church/King back to Colborne

This site was the subject of a planning application a couple of years ago but it was not well received by the City or the neighbours. It was seen as being too dense and too tall. I understand that there is new talk of putting something there and it is clearly a very desirable site that is both wasted and an eyesore as a car park. The last application did not go all the way west on Colbourne (to Tom Jones or even Leader Lane, it would be good to see the whole site tidied up.

And the Aga Khan has reminded us of the potential our suburban sites hold for the sort of generous developments that it would be impossible to assemble land for downtown.

"Sherbourne and Gerrard has a large empty lot on the south east corner " It used to be a filling station so soil may well be contaminated but the removval of contaminated soill is something done on a regular basis.

"Sherbourne and Gerrard has a large empty lot on the south east corner " It used to be a filling station so soil may well be contaminated but the removval of contaminated soill is something done on a regular basis.

Ì`m guessing there are too many shady homes and apartments (in the lane ways) to really encourage developers. It`s like the Khorman house (sherbourne and queen)... ONe of the very few condo flops in this city.

Back