News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 720     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.5K     7 

Policing Attitudes

At the same time though ... why did the police officers fail to read the suspect his rights and block access to counsel? Something doesn't seem right there ...

The article says "The multiple violations include arbirtrary detention, failure to advise him of the reason for his detention, right to counsel and conducting an unauthorized search"

The Police were not 100% sure why they stopped and questioned him (point #1), they asked him questions without telling him were the questioning was leading (#2), didn't tell him he had right to counsel (3#) and they searched him (#4).

Basically, it is impossible for Police to do their jobs because of all the restrictions placed on them by the Charter.

Basically, it is impossible for Police to do their jobs because of all the restrictions placed on them by the Charter.
Not reading them their rights, and not letting them get a lawyer is too onerous a restriction???

I think there's more to this story ...

Not reading them their rights, and not letting them get a lawyer is too onerous a restriction???

I think there's more to this story ...

I met a Policeman the other day. I said "good morning officer" and he replied "good morning, nice day isn't it?".

And I answered “yesâ€!!!

How he managed to coerce this information out of me without advising me of my right to council is troubling. I am not sure whether to go to the Police Services Board or take it to the Ombudsman.

I met a Policeman the other day. I said "good morning officer" and he replied "good morning, nice day isn't it?".

And I answered “yes”!!!

How he managed to coerce this information out of me without advising me of my right to council is troubling. I am not sure whether to go to the Police Services Board or take it to the Ombudsman.
Ah, another fine upstanding citizen who thinks the frequent criminal behaviour of some of our police is something to make jokes about, rather than to fix.

Fitz--

You're attempting to apply logic and nuance where the counterargument is visceral and binary. Cop worship is Colbertesque in its cogency. I recall a parable about what happens to those who wrestle with pigs...

I was making no such reference.
Oh, it's just a coincidence that you used a word commonly used as an anti-police slur in a thread about policing? For someone who is so careful in how they use words, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least something subconscious going on there ...

The Toronto Star has another story today about the TAVIS squads and "community policing".

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1236666--toronto-police-tavis-stop-of-four-teens-ends-in-arrests-captured-on-video#comments

Excerpt:

Toronto police TAVIS stop of four teens ends in arrests, captured on video

Published on Tuesday August 07, 2012

Jim Rankin
Staff Reporter

Four teenaged men — three with braces in place to straighten smiles — drape their sprouting frames over chairs in a stuffy second-floor room overlooking a common area in the Neptune Dr. public housing complex, where a police encounter they had went dangerously wrong.

No, they agree, they will never again try to exercise their rights when confronted by police.

On Nov. 21, 2011, the teens — twin brothers, then 15, and two friends, aged 15 and 16 — were walking in the common area, on their way to an after dinner Pathways to Education mentoring session. The much-lauded program helps keep kids in at-risk neighborhoods in school.

The Neptune Dr. housing complex sits within the Lawrence Heights area, one of the city’s 13 designated priority neighborhoods.

In an event that would quickly escalate to punches, a drawn gun, five backup cruisers and first-time arrests, an unmarked police van rolled into the parking area and two uniformed Toronto police officers with the Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy (TAVIS) unit emerged.

The four teens, all of whom live in the complex, had been stopped and questioned many times before by police. They had also all attended a moot court program, where they learned about their rights.

This encounter came off the rails when one of the teens attempted to exercise those rights and walk away.

Is it corruption if the officers in question were taught that this behaviour is acceptable and actually believe they're right in behaving they way they do? Are they aware that they're violating civil liberties or was their training that inadequate?

Good grief. If anyone here is still in denial and wants proof that some members of the Toronto Police force are totally corrupt and out of control, this is it. If anyone here is still in denial after this, I can only conclude that they are either racist, or perpetuating such stuff themselves.

Hopefully Constable Adam Lourenco is put in jail for many years if he committed such abuse. But knowing their history of corruption, he'll probably get a promotion.

Given how uncommon a name it is, it's likely the same Adam Lourenco that was charged for drunk driving (so drunk he fell asleep in the middle of an intersection) previously - http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=a7425c69-d07f-4dc9-a890-e61d6ff52cda?

Back