News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 845     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

That's an incredibly low bar to surpass- we should be demanding more of our leaders.

DDgNcTPXUAA0yij.jpg

Justin Trudeau didn't flip-flop on electoral reform without cause.

I have been supportive of electoral reform long before it was made a hot topic in the 2015 election. I caution those that are still upset about it now we are midway through JT's mandate, to be careful what you wish for. Pushing for electoral reform and falling just short of your goals, that will set talks of electoral reform back at least a generation.

I just don't think its a big enough issue to matter.
Yes, that is a big part of it. If the population doesn't understand or care about electoral reform, then the odds of getting the public to support your ideal version of electoral reform (no matter how much more superior it is) is unrealistic.

Learn from the mistakes of other countries and jurisdictions who've attempted and failed to pass electoral reform. Learn from the lessons made right here in Ontario on the very issue and wait until electoral reform is a winnable issue to push for it.

Now that's just a lot of silliness- but the Omar Khadr case is bad optics everywhere that will leave no one satisfied.

Is the Sinaloa cartel looking to set up a franchise here? Hopefully not, seeing the mess that MS-13 has made in the States.

More violent criminals entering Canada from Mexico after Liberal decision to lift visa requirements

Before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that visitors from Mexico would no longer need visas to enter Canada, border officials predicted the decision would make it easier for criminals to enter the country, newly released documents show.

In intelligence reports, officials wrote that associates of Mexican crime groups such as the ultraviolent Sinaloa cartel were already turning up in Canada and said lifting the visa requirement would “facilitate travel to Canada by Mexicans with criminal records.”

Since the government dropped the visa requirement on Dec. 1, 2016, the number of Mexican citizens the CBSA has reported for criminality and security has indeed increased, according to figures released by the agency this week.
Midway through 2017, the CBSA had already identified 65 Mexican nationals it said were involved in “serious” crimes. Last year’s figure was 53, and the year before it was 28. Another 15 Mexicans cited for national security reasons have been caught since the start of the year — more than the previous two years combined.

But the internal documents obtained by Global News under the Access to Information Act show the prime minister made the decision despite intelligence reporting that anticipated the likely result would be an increased criminal presence among visitors.

The intelligence reports said more than 300 criminals with Mexican citizenship had been identified by the CBSA from 2012 to 2015 and reported as inadmissible — the process that bars foreign citizens from entering Canada and can lead to their deportation.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3578905/justin-trudeau-mexican-visa-more-criminals/

Last edited:
Optics got even worse- apparently the payment was already made two days ago:
Liberals have already paid Omar Khadr the $10.5M settlement: source
The source said the Liberal government wanted to get ahead of an attempt by two Americans to enforce a massive U.S. court award against Khadr in Canadian court
http://nationalpost.com/news/politi...urce/wcm/a3f3e172-d72a-4bf4-8cfc-fb6ce3bd163c

Not that I am particularly big fan of this settlement given the amount involved and the nature of how that responsibility is divvied up, but the US court award is pure BS - like since when does active combatants and their family get to sue for death and bodily harm incurred during warfare?

AoD

Last edited:
I'm not even sure why the optics are bad here. What was done to him was a clear violation of both national and international law. A Canadian citizen was denied lawful treatment under the charter of rights and freedoms. Anyone who still thinks they should lock him up and throw away the key are doing the terrorists jobs for them.

I'm not even sure why the optics are bad here. What was done to him was a clear violation of both national and international law. A Canadian citizen was denied lawful treatment under the charter of rights and freedoms. Anyone who still thinks they should lock him up and throw away the key are doing the terrorists jobs for them.

It's emotional - when you label someone as a terrorist, it is easy to set aside values that we supposedly hold dear (rule of law, etc) because the ends justify the means. The bad optics is that you basically look like you're paying off one (never mind the mea culpa or whether a 15 year old growing up in a warped household is truly doing it on their own volition) to an amount that is fairly unfathomable to most.

AoD

Last edited:
The optics are bad because of the speed of which the settlement was done and its secrecy- not of the actual settlement (the amount itself is out for debate). And of course, the tangled unreliable narrator situation makes it difficult to truly trust any word 100%.

I think most Canadians would agree that Khadr deserved some level of compensation for what he went through at Guantanamo.

The optics are bad because of the speed of which the settlement was done and its secrecy- not of the actual settlement (the amount itself is out for debate).
I think most Canadians would agree that Khadr deserved some level of compensation for what he went through at Guantanamo.

I don't know about the "most" part - it's probably one of these issues where the solution can't please everyone. From the government's perspective, the best thing to do is the rip the band-aid off as quickly and silently as they can and move on. Can you imagine it being dragged out in the open for debate and talking points? I can't.

AoD

Back