News   May 17, 2024
 263     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 220     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Of course we're alone. What other G7 country is going to expend the political capital to jump in an defend our action? From what is publicly available, we didn't brief our allies (Five Eyes, G7, NATO, whoever)beforehand on what we knew (generally) and what we were going to do so I'm not sure what their incentive would be to step in and make our day suck less.

This accusation should not have come from the PMO. I'm not exactly sure what he was expecting to accomplish. This should have been done at the global affairs ministry level, maybe with the public safety minister in tow. That would have left the PMs some talking space. Assuming the allegation is true, and assuming that approval of the extra-judicial act would have come from the highest level, what Trudeau is saying to Modi is 'you did this'. Where the heck do you go from there? Either that or shut-up until the arrests are made/warrants issued.

"Canada is back!"

Errrr. Not so much, apparently.

When I say that countries don't take us seriously on foreign policy, this is what I mean. It's easy to argue that spending on defence, aid, diplomacy and intelligence isn't important. But it's all currency in international relations and you spend it in moments like these.

Going to get even more interesting, when Canada starts getting this kind of cold shoulder for economic concerns that Canadians have. All but inevitable, in an era where trade is increasingly tied to security relationships.

This is making International headlines, what an embarrassment.

Does Trudeau/Speaker not research who people are before giving them a standing ovation in the House of Commons? This 98 year former SS NAZI.. who pledged allegiance to Hitler, got a standing ovation. 🤦‍♂️

Good.

The PMO doesn't have power over the Speakers Office, it's a seperate office with its own powers.
And apparently had its own allocation of guest spots for this event.

That clip really does look to me like he was reading and becoming aware of what he was reading for this first time. The guest was from his home riding (North Bay) so I wonder if it was somebody in his Speaker's office or his riding office that was championing this. Regardless, he owns it; he can't delegate this away. Too bad. I have met Rota and he struck me as a genuinely honest and straight forward person (being a politician aside :))

I'm not that familiar with the history of the Ukrainian people during WWII but it seems some supported the Nazis to keep the Communists out and some supported the Communists to keep the Nazis out. Probably not a lot of lily white hands during that period.

This is very interesting. I'm 59. In Québec, where all French schools used to be Catholic, there were no prayers, and obviously, no national anthem - ever!

Interesting, I never attended school in Quebec, my mother would have briefly, but came to Ontario at the age of 6 and was initially enrolled in a French, Catholic, school.

I know she hated it, it was all run by nuns and her impression of them was mean and violent; they all carried rulers and hit you across the hand for the remotest rule or etiquette breach real or perceived.

At some point, nuns were dismissed from the education system in Québec. When I started school in 1969, they were gone, and it was Catholicism Lite - peace and love and no mention of such things as "sins" or "hell".

Vive le Révolution Tranquille!

My mother pre-dated that by several years.

Interesting, I never attended school in Quebec, my mother would have briefly, but came to Ontario at the age of 6 and was initially enrolled in a French, Catholic, school.

I know she hated it, it was all run by nuns and her impression of them was mean and violent; they all carried rulers and hit you across the hand for the remotest rule or etiquette breach real or perceived.
My mom went through a teacher's college convent run by nuns and had the same experience.

Freeland out to announce on behalf of the Feds, that CMHC will back an additional 20B in mortgages each year, with low-interest loans, these funds to be used to finance purpose-built rental, seniors housing and student housing.

From the above:

1695749349610.png

@HousingNowTO will make note of this and dutifully ensure Abi Bond is all over it too!

To bad but there was no other viable option. This chain of events was unsurviveable.
I am a fan of pols taking responsibility for mistakes on their watch. I kind of doubt he was actually directly responsible for the mistake, but he is responsible for the staff who made that error. I was very concerned that the Ford government was trying to skate its ministers on the Greenbelt fiasco. We need more accountability in public office, not less.

Back