News   Apr 26, 2024
 520     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 382     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 579     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Before George Bush (AKA 9/11), it would have been so much easier to return them. Today, there is that stupid passport requirement for both sides. Those American "refugees" came here without passports, and probably no other id. Luckily, we were about to deport them.

Mr. Trudeau. Tear down that passport wall!

How likely is it that the passport requirement will be removed any time in the future?

FFS, National Post, what the heck is he supposed to do? If he avoided every congregation whose beliefs discriminated against women, gays, etc., he would also have to avoid many churches and synagogues in this country. Interesting this is only an issue when a politician attends a mosque.

Frankly, I want the PM to be reaching out to all communities in Canada.

FFS, National Post, what the heck is he supposed to do? If he avoided every congregation whose beliefs discriminated against women, gays, etc., he would also have to avoid many churches and synagogues in this country. Interesting this is only an issue when a politician attends a mosque.

Indeed, we don't say the PM shouldn't visit Catholic (or Orthodox) churches or associate with individuals of such faith because only men can be bishops or popes. Plus segregation by gender is also practiced in some forms of Judiasm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechitza

So really, it is nothing new or all that controversial. But oh my god, women in mosques having to do it - intolerance! Really.

AoD

Last edited:

Frankly, outside of state funerals and such events, politics and religion should be separated as much as possible. You don't need to go to a mosque to meet people descendant or from majority muslim countries. You wouldn't go to an Anglican church to meet people of British descent, and you'd be better off at Octoberfest than a Lutheran church to meet people from Germanic backgrounds.

Indeed, we don't say the PM shouldn't visit Catholic (or Orthodox) churches or associate with individuals of such faith because only men can be bishops or popes. Plus segregation by gender is also practiced in some forms of Judiasm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechitza

So really, it is nothing new or all that controversial. But oh my god, women in mosques having to do it - intolerance! Really.

AoD

Orthodox Jews are in practice not much different than Muslims when it comes to segregation of women.

Last edited:
Orthodox Jews come to mind. They segregate women and generally treat them like second class citizens.

That's really strong language that I think is unfair - so long as participation is voluntary and lawful, who are we to judge? The important thing is that the religious rights of the community does not override the universal right as a citizen - the laws of secular society provides the freedom of religion and an out, if one so chooses.

Having said that, the inverse is also true - do not attempt to impose religious restrictions on the broader secular society. My gawd, if I have one, does not necessarily follow your rules.

AoD

Last edited:
Frankly, outside of state funerals and such events, politics and religion should be separated as much as possible. You don't need to go to a mosque to meet people descendant or from majority muslim countries. You wouldn't go to an Anglican church to meet people of British descent, and you'd be better off at Octoberfest than a Lutheran church to meet people from Germanic backgrounds.

It isn't about achieving the highest ratio of Canadians of German descent at any given event. It's about meeting with Canadians of all persuasions, including those of faith. In many communities, ranging from small towns to recent immigrants in some ethnic communities, the church/synagogue/mosque/temple remains a central facet of the community. To suggest that politicians should ignore religious events (so no Christmas tree lightings either?) is, as far as I am concerned, a misapplication of the principle of the secular state. It's more a Pauline Marois-type twisting of securalism than it is the liberal democracy which I favour.

The best way to include religious communities of new Canadians in our civic society is to welcome them, not to ignore them.

That's really strong language that I think is unfair - so long as participation is voluntary and lawful, who are we to judge? The important thing is that the laws of secular society provides the freedom of religion and an out, if one so chooses.

AoD

I edited my post.

Piya Chattopadhyay ‏@piya 11h11 hours ago
@davidakin @BautistaBomb I could be wrong but I believe the baps Hindu temple that pmsh went to has sep.of sexes.I walked out cuz of it once

To put some perspective on the matter.

To suggest that politicians should ignore religious events (so no Christmas tree lightings either?) is, as far as I am concerned, a misapplication of the principle of the secular state. It's more a Pauline Marois-type twisting of securalism than it is the liberal democracy which I favour.

Yeah, but of course the whole holiday tree thing is just ridiculous - it's the wrong way to do secularism.

AoD

Orthodox Jews are in practice not much different than Muslims when it comes to segregation of women.
Places of worship receive significant tax exemptions. https://www.thestar.com/life/2012/05/18/are_tax_breaks_for_places_of_worship_outdated.html My church, for example, pays no property tax and its income from donations and space rental are considered charity, and taxed as non-profit rates.

Let's consider, instead of segregating by gender, my church says black people must sit in another room, with clear understanding that the non-black room is the better place to be. Then, PM Trudeau arrives, and meets the congregation, seeing a see of white faces in the pews, and then peering up to the balcony and back rooms sees all the black people isolated. I'd like to think the PM would have refused to attend, or not if expecting this segregation, would have made note of it. And then, the public would have questioned by gov't funding (via tax exemptions) would support such segregation.

Yeah, but of course the whole holiday tree thing is just ridiculous - it's the wrong way to do secularism.

Oh, God, yes (pardon the pun). Secularism doesn't mean the absence of religion. The social conservative nonsense about the "War on Christmas" is complete garbage, of course, but every once in a while there is a bureaucrat who makes a stupid decision ("let's call it a holiday tree" or "let's call it a festive candelabra") which delights the so-cons because they can feed on it for years.

Back