News   Apr 25, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 981     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

They have a holiday to celebrate The Queen's Official Birthday in the United Kingdom (its celebrated on a Saturday between June 11 and 17), Queen Elizabeth's actual birthday is April 21). Canada does not. However, in Canada and most of the rest of the world, in honour of Justin Trudeau, we're having a holiday to celebrate Justin's birthday, December 25. Kiddin'. :)
Canada does have a holiday for The Queen's Birthday - Victoria Day.

Canada does have a holiday for The Queen's Birthday - Victoria Day.

Not to be that guy (okay ... on second thought I am going to be that guy), the commemoration of Elizabeth II's official birthday in Canada coincides with Victoria Day, but Victoria Day itself does not mark Elizabeth II's official birthday (although it marks Victoria's birthday). Elizabeth II's official birthday and Victoria Day are simultaneous, but separate, events. In Ontario, Victoria Day is the holiday, not Elizabeth II's official birthday (although the latter happens to land on a holiday).

ETA: According to Wikipedia, New Brunswick and Nunavut have a holiday for Elizabeth II's official birthday, not Victoria Day, albeit on the same day as much of the rest of country celebrates Victoria Day as a holiday.

Seems arbitrary to limit the definition of mass shooting to only ones where 10 or more died. By that standard, America (a country with 10X the population and much easier access to guns) has only had two such events in 2015....maybe things aren't as bad as it seems?

There have been over 300 mass shootings in America this year. Some were bigger than others, but it shows how bad the situation is.

Anyway, this Trump stuff is making me appreciate how "boring" things are here.

There have been over 300 mass shootings in America this year. Some were bigger than others, but it shows how bad the situation is.

I might suggest that it is a bit disingenuous to say Canada has not had a mass shooting since 1989 because none of the 9 since have taken 10 or more lives but on the other hand say that there have been 300 mass shootings in the US this year even though, by my quick count, only 2 of them have taken 10 or more lives. I think you have to be a bit more consistent in your measure.

Tonda MacCharles ‏@TondaMacC 20s21 seconds ago
Duffy said he told Harper local Tories wouldn't be happy bc they'd expect the seat to go to a local Tory. "I wasn't a Tory," says Duffy.
CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts 25s25 seconds ago
#MikeDuffy testifies he warned #StephenHarper being named #PEI senator would raise red flags. Says PM refused #Ontario suggestion. #cdnpoli

From the Duffy trial.

I think you have to be a bit more consistent in your measure.

Yeah, fair enough.

Last edited:
New York Times Magazine profile of Trudeau:

Trudeau’s Canada, Again
December 8, 2015

Nothing really new in this for Canadians, although the intended audience is admittedly Americans. For a critical take on Trudeau's victory, there are far more thoughtful and intelligent people that Lawson could have called upon rather than that sad, loser hack Chris Armstrong.

Not to be that guy (okay ... on second thought I am going to be that guy), the commemoration of Elizabeth II's official birthday in Canada coincides with Victoria Day, but Victoria Day itself does not mark Elizabeth II's official birthday (although it marks Victoria's birthday). Elizabeth II's official birthday and Victoria Day are simultaneous, but separate, events. In Ontario, Victoria Day is the holiday, not Elizabeth II's official birthday (although the latter happens to land on a holiday).

ETA: According to Wikipedia, New Brunswick and Nunavut have a holiday for Elizabeth II's official birthday, not Victoria Day, albeit on the same day as much of the rest of country celebrates Victoria Day as a holiday.

For the non-Christians in Canada, they can celebrate the PM's birthday instead, on December 25th

For the non-Christians in Canada, they can celebrate the PM's birthday instead, on December 25th
As a non-Christian, why would I give up celebrating a great secular holiday like Christmas? The seasonal celebration of lights and gift-giving long predates the Christian's namejacking it!

Alright, lets be those guys - Victoria Day is the date fixed by proclamation as the day for celebrating The Queen's birthday - in previous reigns the holiday floated around in late May, early June - and thus we are cheated by the combination of two holidays on the same date. It's almost enough to make one a republican!

He only wants tax breaks for his rich buddies.

So basically, every party but the CPC.
Perhaps it is not so much a vote against middle class tax cuts but a vote against:

1. Tax increases for the slightly above middle class; and
  2. A switch in tax policy which was promised to be revenue neutral and, magically, turns out to carry an annual cost to the treasury of $1.2B
So, with that one switch, over 10% of the promised $10B deficit is used up with nary bit of infrastructure built (of course, we have heard in the last few days that the $10B limit is off the table too).

Back