News   May 02, 2024
 219     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 156     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 208     0 

Pitfield take aim at high-rises

www.janepitfield.com/index.asp

Interesting. Pitfield seems to have a practically issue-less website. Normally a campaign website has an "Issues" section. One can go to this website and have absolutely no idea what she stands for.

It's worth posting in here.

From Jane Pitfield's website:

An Open Letter to the Residents of Toronto
January 5, 2006

Dear Residents:

Today I have officially registered to seek election as Mayor of Toronto. If the City was working well, I would not be taking this step.
But Toronto has some very real problems – problems which unfortunately are now known internationally – and much of this decline is due to a profound lack of leadership.

Crime and violence are out of control, taxes continue to increase as services decline, and people are disillusioned with local government which they feel does not represent them.

What has the current Mayor done? His only solution has been to run to the provincial and federal levels of government for help. His only answer is to allow property taxes to escalate. His only response has been to re-announce old promises.

He came in brandishing a broom, pledging to clean up City Hall. Instead, all we’ve seen are scandals and a lack of integrity.

Residents deserve better. There has been too much talk and not enough action. It’s time for change. Time for leadership.

My priorities, if elected Mayor, will be a significant reduction in violent crime, a sustainable budget, and a more accountable local government that actually listens to and acts on the wishes of the majority.

I have never been a member of any political party, and I owe no favours to any special interest groups. I will be accountable to all the people, and beholden to no one.

And I pledge to you that if I’m unable to meet these objectives, I will not seek re-election.

It is time to make Toronto work again.

If you understand the need for change and would like to help in this effort, please contact me at info@janepitfield.com

So basically,

Jane Pitfield = NIMBY MILF

Just kidding. Seriously though, isn't it a bit presumptuous for her to have "Jane Pitfield, Mayor" rather than "Jane Pitfield FOR mayor" on the site?

"Well, it's THE place to go to get a high rise off the "man drag."

Post of the year.

I disagree. About the post of the year part. I think that was when someone suggested that the Toronto Soccer Team be named the Toronto Rolling Brownouts.

:lol

Time for some analysis:

But Toronto has some very real problems – problems which unfortunately are now known internationally – and much of this decline is due to a profound lack of leadership.

Huh? What are the internationally well known problems that can be attributed to this "profound lack of leadership", exactly? That's a pretty empty statement.

Crime and violence are out of control, taxes continue to increase as services decline, and people are disillusioned with local government which they feel does not represent them.

Crime and violence is depicted as out of control in the media, a reality not substantiated by statistics while service decline can be attributed to pull out of funding by senior levels of governments.

My priorities, if elected Mayor, will be a significant reduction in violent crime, a sustainable budget, and a more accountable local government that actually listens to and acts on the wishes of the majority.

Just how would one promise "reduction in violent crime", exactly? What are the cost of this "sustainable budget"? More accountable local government that "acts on" the wishes of the majority? I thought that's what city council is for?

I have never been a member of any political party, and I owe no favours to any special interest groups. I will be accountable to all the people, and beholden to no one.

Right, the first two points will by default result in the last two outcomes.

Conclusion: All soundbite, where is the filling?

AoD

I agree with your assessment, Alvin. While Miller may not have lived up to his promise, those empty baseless and thoughtless remarks by Pitfield have helped me make my decision already.

"Sound and fury, signifying nothing."

There is room for a really good critique of Miller at this point, almost 2 1/2 years in, but based on evidene so far, it does not appear that Pitfield will be providing it.

Not to repeat what has been said here but pandering to the NIMBY's has a good chance of working in the suburban areas. She is also married to a major bank vice-president so she will have Bay St. on her side.
But it will be interesting to see the development industry back the "left-wing" David Miller against the "right-wing" Pitfield if she continues in her attacks on urban intensification. Politics does indeed make for strange bedfellows.

On a further note, I think Harper's performance in Toronto this week was appalling and insulting to Ontarians... so partisan and clearly dismissive of Ontario's concerns.

Anyone who claims Toronto is "in decline" has no business near city hall. It's one thing to recognize problems that need to be dealt with, but quite another to tar the entire city in the not-so-local-anymore media.

I can't imagine the head or would-be head of any organization they actually cared about saying such a thing even if it were true. Why would anyone invest in something its own leadership doesn't believe in?

Especially given the recent antics of another councillor, it amazes me that a city government the size of Toronto's can't attract better people than this.

It can... they just don't get elected in places like Etobicoke.

Shadow of Mills haunts Pitfield campaign
Mayoral candidate lacks key backers

Globe and Mail
JAMES RUSK

TORONTO -- When Jane Pitfield formally launched her campaign last week to unseat Mayor David Miller, the microphone at her podium didn't work. But a working sound system wasn't the only thing missing.

The councillor for Don Valley West is running without the support of the key fundraisers and political professionals who have put together winning campaigns for past centre-right mayoral candidates.

They are hanging back, waiting for a stronger candidate with a better chance of beating Mr. Miller.

The name on everyone's lips is former Liberal MP Dennis Mills.

The Globe and Mail interviewed 10 eminent political activists, most of them backers of former mayor Mel Lastman's wins in 1997 and 2000, or John Tory's near-win in 2003. None wished to speak for attribution about Ms. Pitfield's prospects -- and none expressed much enthusiasm for her candidacy.

"I think there is the feeling that she is not able to beat David [Miller] at all," said one political veteran who has been a power in city politics for decades.

The Pitfield team has never been able give potential backers any polling data, public or private, that show she has a chance to beat Mr. Miller and, consequently, "she has not been able to get any of the really big powers in the city to support her," he added.

Rather, the veterans of what could be called the Lastman coalition are waiting on the sidelines, hoping that another -- in their view, more credible -- candidate could emerge.

"There always seems to be the sense that, maybe, maybe, someone else will come along," said one analyst who follows city politics.

"They will only come on board [the Pitfield campaign] when they realize she is the sole candidate."

Some are doing more than waiting. Behind the scenes, a number of the powerful politicos that put Mr. Lastman in the mayor's chair are looking for another candidate.

The current hot prospect is Mr. Mills.

Now the vice-chairman of Magna Entertainment Corp., Mr. Mills was an aide to former prime minister Pierre Trudeau and a four-term Liberal MP for Toronto Danforth who earned a reputation as one of the most effective organizers in the House of Commons.

He provided the political push for the Pope's World Youth Day visit in 2002 and organized the Rolling Stones-headlined benefit concert after the SARS outbreak in 2003.

He almost dropped out of politics before the 2004 election, but stayed on to run unsuccessfully against NDP Leader Jack Layton, after which then-prime minister Paul Martin named him a one-man task force on the redevelopment of the Toronto waterfront -- a file that would land on his desk again if he were to become mayor.

Mr. Mills said last week that his priority is business, but also expressed an interest in getting into city politics at some point.

"Once our team cuts Magna Entertainment free of debt, I would like to challenge David Miller to turn his promises into performance," Mr. Mills said in an interview.

Despite his protestations, Mr. Mills is under heavy pressure to get into the race. One source said that if the money and campaign team needed for a serious challenge are lined up by midsummer, it is still better than even odds the former MP will enter the race by Labour Day.

Mr. Mills is said by some sources to be holding out for a firm commitment that could extend to the following election in 2009 or 2010 (depending on the fate of provincial legislation that would extend terms to four years).

Even a September entry could still produce a winning campaign, a source said, because most voters don't focus on a mayoral race until October, while the critical issues in the race do not usually crystallize until fall.

Even if no other major candidate runs against Mr. Miller, Ms. Pitfield is unlikely to get the kind of support from the centre-right she needs to offer a serious challenge to the mayor, the sources said.

Ms. Pitfield, a 51-year-old who has served on city council since 1998, is seen as a policy lightweight who does not appear to think through the policies she professes.

She is viewed by some potential backers as a rogue councillor who did not vote consistently with any group and was not seen as an active supporter of the traditional centre-right coalition when it was in power, one source said.

Possible candidates

Four other potential candidates have had their names bandied about in recent months as possible centre-right standard-bearers for mayor of Toronto.

They are:

Dennis Mills: The former MP and current vice-chairman of Magna Entertainment is under heavy pressure to run. Loyalty to Magna's Frank Stronach -- and a hefty private-sector paycheque -- hold him back.

Tony Ianno: The former federal cabinet minister is waiting for the next election to try to avenge his defeat by the NDP's Olivia Chow.

Julian Fantino: Every time there is a list of potential candidates, his name is on it. But for starters, he would have to sell his house in Vaughan and move back into the city.

Sergio Marchi: The former cabinet minister has been out of the country, and political circulation, for so long that only the political pros remember his name.

James Rusk

I don't understand people, Toronto is currently Canada's largest city, and in downtown t.o there's tall buildings (like most big cities). Why don't you want more high-rise buildings, or higher ones. If you don't like the city life go to the beaches (now the beach..lol), or rosedale or I dunno, anywhere but downtown!

I like Mills btw, he got Toronto on the international spotlight when popestock was here. I don't think the Stones concert made it that big around the globe compared to the pope coming here and all, but regardless I think he should run.

Also, we need more public input on things, I knows residents complain and favour things but most of thier voices are never heard, I think our city politicians need to listen.

I think there's only one credible critic of the Mayor out there right now who could challenge Miller.

So how about it Royston James?

^And leave the warm and safe confines of the editorial department for the real world of having to account for one's ideas and plans?

Back