News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Perth unveils its waterfront plans

tayser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Premier announces major projects for Perth
13th February 2008, 13:30 WST

WA Premier Alan Carpenter has today announced the State Government’s plans for the Barrack Street foreshore redevelopment and further works on the Northbridge link project.

Stage 1 of the waterfront front is expected to cost $300 million. The plan will be available for public comment soon, with construction expected to start in 2011 or 2012.

“The most notable thing about the development is its generous, well designed public spaces with unrestricted public access to the riverfront,” Mr Carpenter said.

“It will activate the river frontage, creating an activity hotspot both day and night for local residents and visitors.”

Mr Carpenter also announced Stage 2 of the Northbridge Link project, which would cost about $9 million. He said the first stage of the project was already underway, with the construction of the $335 million Perth Arena.

Today’s announcement follows last week’s decisions on the Subiaco stadium project at a cost of $1.1 billion and the construction of a new museum, to be built at the site of the old East Perth Power Station at a cost of $500 million.

MARK DRUMMOND AND DANIEL HATCH

THE WEST AUSTRALIAN

img01.jpg
img02.jpg

img03.jpg
img04.jpg

img05.jpg
img06.jpg

img07.jpg
img08.jpg

img09.jpg
img10.jpg

img11.jpg
img12.jpg

map.jpg

Source: Perth Water Front

blink blink. this one flew well under the radar on OzScrapers! Dubai wannabes! hah.

Gotta love the ambition...but those images just scream 'potentially catastrophic megaproject.' I much prefer TO's less flashy but very functional neighbourhood-building approach.

Well it is mainly the central part of the waterfront that is so showy, and I don't see a problem with that. I'd take this plan over Corus and Pier 'Whatever' and sugar-beach bathing by the refinery any time!

This swan...

img08.jpg

...reminds me of this...

west8.jpg

leaf.

It's too bad they wanted to get rid of the Leafs. Sometimes "kitschy" can be good...I don't even think they're that kitschy.

I agree with allaboutmatt, but it could end up being a good project. It certainly puts the Jarvis Street slip to shame.

Looks like someone told the gullible people of Perth that they're 15 years behind Europe and they'd better get world class with some flashy edifices pretty damn quick - or else - and they panicked.

Dubai crossed with Thunderdome ... and a dash of that thing in Detroit, the Cadillac Centre designed by the Gehry-wannabee that - appropriately - looks like a car crash, thrown in for good measure.

The 'blob' on the waterfront reminds me a bit of the failed West Kowloon Cultural District design by Norman Foster for Hong Kong... and yes, I do admire the ambition.

It would be nice for Toronto to get a circular quay like the one in the rendering (minus the swan), just to break away from all the straight lines that make up the current central waterfront shoreline.

Perth,W.A. Australia-the World's most isolated major city!

Everyone: Interest info about Perth's waterfront and Downtown-the plan looks good for their city center but I do not care much for that tall round dominant building-maybe it's me but it just seems out of place. Australia amazes me-for a continent its size but a population 10 million people or so less then Canada.

Perth is the World's most isolated major city I recall reading-in North America that title belongs to Winnipeg-I have visited there once in the Summer of 1990-a city of half a million then seemingly in the middle of nowhere.
Australia has some neat cities that I would like to visit someday...LI MIKE

Back