News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Ped/Bike/Transit Bridge or Tunnel to Toronto Island?

New developments along Queens Quay should have their money-in-lieu be put towards a bridge. I don't agree with charging to access the island. It is a public space, let people who want to go there, get to the island. Since when in Canada have we had to pay to use public spaces? I don't think we want this island to continue as an option for the wealthy? I highly doubt free access would entice people from around GTA to come to the island, when they could get to other beaches and pubic spaces (which are actually safe to swim in) quicker.

I've often thought that the narrow gauge railway on the island should serve the whole place, from ferry dock to centreville and everywhere else.

Image-6.gif

640px-Train_Ride%2C_Centreville.jpg

I would hate to see an end to the ferry. It's such an atmospheric ride. But it should not be the sole option.

Why not have a short-hop service for bikes and service vehicles and transit across the Eastern Gap, similar to the Island Airport ferry? It could be preempted for fire/EMS runs, very short travel time.

Other than EMS/fire trucks, only electric vehicles should be allowed across. A good place for Toronto to showcase these.

I like the idea of a cross-island tram connecting to transit on Cherry Street. It doesn't need a bridge. It's not Kennedy Station for heavens sake - walk on walk off transfer to ferry for a quick ride across is not going to impair ridership.

- Paul

In the meantime...

Toronto to test mobile ticketing app for island ferry

New way to buy tickets online aimed at cutting down lineups for island ferry.

See link.

"Asked why the city doesn’t implement Presto card readers at the gates for residents already familiar with that system to avoid both line-ups and online ticketing, Cutler said it was “previously evaluated” and that “at the time the challenges were greater than the potential benefits.”

Lame.

"Asked why the city doesn’t implement Presto card readers at the gates for residents already familiar with that system to avoid both line-ups and online ticketing, Cutler said it was “previously evaluated” and that “at the time the challenges were greater than the potential benefits.”

Lame.

Not Lame, genius. Why rely on a card when everyone (in a group) will have a phone? Berlin tickets were very easy to purchase; open-app (let device find current location, punch in destination station), pay for ticket via credit card, done. Fare enforcement staff use a device similar to ViaRail to scan a barcode the App outputs. A single device may purchase a group ticket.

There were nearly zero lines at physical ticket machines.

The only oddity is that tickets weren't valid for 2 minutes after purchase. This, I expect, was done to prevent people from delaying a purchase until they spotted fare enforcement officers.

Finally, there is absolutely no reason why an App based purchase couldn't go through the Bank of Presto to retrieve funds in addition to more traditional banks, but there's also little point in doing that (seeing as you cannot deposit your paycheque directly into Bank of Presto anyway).

Lame.
One ridiculous thing about Presto is that everyone has to have a card. Online tickets would enable one person to carry all the tickets for the family.

I agree - some form of group fare is required for this market, and Presto won't accomplish this. (Better we not ask how much it would cost to program a multi-user/passback function into Presto)

There should be vending machines at the ferry terminal however that will accept Presto to issue a paper ticket. Makes no sense to limit the applicability of Presto.

- Paul

One ridiculous thing about Presto is that everyone has to have a card. Online tickets would enable one person to carry all the tickets for the family.
By 2017 almost everyone who uses the TTC will have to have a Presto card but I don't think anyone is saying ferry tickets should ONLY be available by using Presto. It should be an additional possibility along with cash, advance online purchase and any apps that the City wants to partner with.

Certainly an app that's phone scannable at the gate is ideal, same as airlines and trains.

It's cheap too. There's strong financial reasons why Boston's commuter rail didn't implement CharlieCard and went with a phone based app instead.

Presto should be an option. Ritual should be an option. Other options should be present.

The thing with Ritual is that it has such a small share of the GTA's market. Like other food ordering apps, it's limited to the downtown Toronto, so really, the only people who have it are those who live or work downtown in a certain area.

Back