1.6K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 695     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 524     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
... unless, that is, they were supposed to be moving much quicker than they were, perhaps?

Love the name, trottoir ...

The only precedent that I am aware of for these trottoirs is at Montparnasse Metro station in Paris. My knowledge of other high speed moving walkways, however, is not exhaustive.

Maybe they were only in first gear when I used them. How fast are they supposed to go? And what's the point? You'll save a few seconds at most, surely?

I don't see the point either. At most it will only shave a couple of minutes travel time. The distance from the main terminal to Hammerhead F isn't nearly as long as alot of airport piers around the world anyways, some of which are so long, a train/ppl mover is required to move ppl.

Demolition of Terminal 2 continues....some updates from June 28.....east end now gone....

28jUN2007aT2ModQGone.jpg

progress on west end demolition...

28Jun2007cT2Demolition.jpg

28Jun2007eT2Demolition.jpg

I had a friend come into town to visit last week. He grew up here in the city but lives overseas now and is quite well travelled (with an aesthetic eye). I asked him what he thought of the airport and he replied "bland and soulless" compared to many of the airports he has seen. He also felt that at no point did he ever feel like he was in Toronto, as opposed to any other place on the planet. Interesting.

well, it could be that your 'friend' is just an ass....

yes, the new terminal is a bit sterile, but I would submit that the soaring ceilings, vast expanses of glass, and extremely well thought out technical aspects put it among the forefront of world airports.

I have also done a bit of travelling, having averaged 3 trips per month over a ten year period, and I can tell you, the only airport which really impressed me more was Singapore.

Pearson ain't perfect, but it is a world of difference today compared to the ramshackle mess it was previously.

furthermore, there is no imperative for architecture to say that you have arrived in "toronto", just because it is an airport...most of the world's major airports are pretty generic. I would take Pearson any day over the kitsch that you would find at, say, Vancouver...

"well, it could be that your 'friend' is just an ass...."

Yeah, thats it, he's an ass. Thanks for clarifing that for me yyzer. I'll remember that when I skip your all your future posts.

If a visitor describes our airport as different from many of the other airports he's seen how can he simultaneously claim that he doesn't feel that he's in Toronto, since he's clearly in an airport like no other and therefore a city like no other? What's so difficult to understand about Toronto style?

He said it contained the 'anywhere' bland and soulless elements that are found in so many other newer airports with no real distinquishing elements that make it unique or even connected to the city in any way. I should have been more clear.

Ah, we see. The International Style. Must have been lost in translation, so to speak.

That's funny....but yes. Anywhere...bland to many...yep, that has been a critique by many of the International Style or 'Modernism.' I think the neo-modern movement has been trying to warm things up a bit (humanize?) and spice things up, but for many, modernism in either form will never have the warmth and artistry of older art movements. Heck, that is a debate though for another thread (or thesis...or book).

I don't want "soul" in an airport - I want a place that's quick and easy to navigate, doesn't have bad acoustics that jangle my nerves, has clear signage, and is neutral in colour with minimal visual distractions. What few distractions exist at Pearson consists of art, which is just dandy.

I want soul in any and all buildings, aside from function. That should be a paramount goal for any architect (who even hopes to consider himself an artist in even the loosest sense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back