506     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 517     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 401     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I was. The plane I was on had a new cabin interior. Every seat had laptop and USB power outlets, as well as an updated entertainment screen. I was also impressed that the cabin lights changed colours depending on the time. The only complaint I had about the plane was that my economy seat didn't have enough leg room... and the food was bad.

The new interiors are rather nice...finally AC has a product competitive with the big European and Asian carriers, at least if you don't want to fly First. And new T1 is great. Now if they could just fix things like the 16-hour delay I had with them a few weeks ago...

Does anyone now when construction on pier 'G' is set to begin? And what sort of flights it will be used for? With the number of new airlines announcing YYZ service these days I would think it will be needed sooner rather than later.

Does anyone now when construction on pier 'G' is set to begin? And what sort of flights it will be used for? With the number of new airlines announcing YYZ service these days I would think it will be needed sooner rather than later.

If demand keeps up construction will probably start in 2009. Pier G will work the same as Pier F with international gates at the end and transborder at the sides. With the opening of Pier G some of the domestic/transborder swing gates would become almost exclusively domestic.

AC should go back to their red and white livery from the 70's and 80's.

It will, and all in the name of branding my friend. The latest Diet-Pepsi version will last a decade or so and then- poof, we will be back to the 70's. Its all cyclical.

What I don't get about Pearson is, why are they discussing another airport out in Pickering, when the present one isn't even completely utilized? Nor is it completely built out? I don't like the idea of two airports anyways- we have six runways and are definitely not even close to the capacity of say London or Paris, and yet, they keep pushing this idea that it is crucial and necessary. No!

p5

we have six runways

Actually, we only have five (although a sixth one is planned)....5/23, 6R/24L, 6L/24R, 33R/15L, and 33L/15R...

The new Air Canada suites are really nice, but the stuff doesn't always work which is a bit disturbing considering it can't be even a year old. I'm sure it's better on the new 777s than on the reno'd 767s which are getting rather elderly. It's pretty shocking that AC's keeping the old 767-200s in service for years to come without any renovation. They're looking really, embarrassingly bad.

The walk from the hammerhead is really long. They've got to get that walkway up and running. Yesterday, I saw that they had taken some of it apart. Is it a technical issue or some safety bureaucrat that's keeping it from operating?

Definitely agree that the GTAA can better utilize Pearson rather than build an unneeded airport at Pickering. Maybe in the distant future, but right now it's totally unnecessary.

The GTAA wasn't planning on any major passenger operations at Pickering until 2032. The biggest push to build the Pickering airport sooner will likely be Buttonville whose hangars are at capacity, is currently the 10th busiest airport handling 150,000 flights per year, and is sitting on privately owned land near the 404 and business parks in Markham where non-greenbelt land is slowly disappearing. Nav Canada which opened a new tower to handle all the traffic at Buttonville built it modularly so it could be moved when Buttonville closes. The opening of Pickering Airport, if it goes through, would close two airports currently receiving taxpayer subsidies, close one private airport, and open one airport which does not cost taxpayers a dime (actually the federal government profits from the GTAA). I can understand the argument against having two airports for airlines which would make connections between flights more complicated but not arguments against the airport outright because in the end there will be less airports, not more, and less airports means less areas impacted by airport operations... it would be quiter for those living near Buttonville and Oshawa Airport.

from the Mississauga News:

January 28, 2008 10:57 AM -

Life in the fast lane will begin later this year for passengers at Mississauga's Pearson International Airport.

The installation of two new "express moving walkways" has been completed on the upper level of Pier F of Pearson’s Terminal 1.

The moving sidewalks will move at a maximum speed of two metres per second, which could significantly help passengers hurrying to make a connecting flight.

The EMWs were tested recently by a group of volunteers who looked at using the equipment under several different scenarios. They will be tested further over the next few months until deemed ready to be used by the public.

The high-speed walkways, measuring 280 metres in length, will provide international outbound and inbound passengers a speedier third option of getting to and from gates. They can walk, take a series of normal speed moving walkways, and once all the testing is completed, they will also be able to take the new EMWs.

The EMW will allow international departing passengers to go from the security checkpoint to their gate area, a distance of more than 300 metres, in about five minutes. They can go even faster if they walk while on the device.

For the same distance it would take an average of 10 minutes using the series of existing standard normal speed moving walkways, which are located right next to the new EMWs.

The same is true for international passengers arriving into Terminal 1, the EMWs will mean a shorter time from their gate to Canada Customs.

“These are the first of their kind in the world,†said Lee Daniel, of ThyssenKrupp Elevator, which designed and built the system.

I'm hoping they'll be ready for March 14. Next few months? Did they contract this out to the TTC?

That's seven weeks people! That should be plenty of time! Like Interchange, I want to feel the wind!

I'm hoping they'll be ready for March 14. Next few months? Did they contract this out to the TTC?

That's seven weeks people! That should be plenty of time! Like Interchange, I want to feel the wind!

It takes time to ensure that people won't fall over, twist their ankles, and sue the GTAA like what happened in Paris where (as I understand) the same design was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back