News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 879     0 

Parks - new & revitalized

Mabelle Park is getting a facelift; a Member Motion at Council seeks to release some S.37 and Public Art funds for the purpose of investing in said park.

1699561855373.png

Render:

1699561973557.png

Location Context:

1699562198434.png

Park as it is (Sept '22 - Streetview)

1699562254660.png

This park has been in my "hood" for my whole life, yet I've never known of its existence 😄

Saw this on IG about the intersection of Gerrard and Parliament. Good as this intersection is changing quite quickly. In more dreamy days I used to think that this intersection could have had a rotary like Piccadilly Circus or Bath.

IMG_5076.png
IMG_5075.png

Last edited:
Saw this on IG. Good as this intersection is changing quite quickly.

View attachment 520090View attachment 520091

Yeah, this is Anniversary Park in Cabbagetown

I can see I improved this quite a bit over what was originally proposed; but I still have issues. I don't like the white concrete finish for the surface, it should be interlock.

The fountain appears undersized relative to the landscape, it was almost certainly sized to budget.

So, I had a closer look at the renders for the above.

I believe they do intend to use interlock, however they have rendered a very light colouration.

Toronto Red Brick is historical to our City, but so many LAs seem reticent to use it, I know not why.

The fountain is probably an ok size; but the Victorian lighting they have in mind isn't. They're calling it 'contemporary Victorian' which is to say, not Victorian. Too boxy, and missing a proper top.

The bench is antithetical to Victoria design, its very square and upright, it lacks finesse and curvature.

Send it back.

There's a survey here for those that are interested:

Advance note, if you want to leave constructive comments you have to pick a negative opinion of an item. If you're neutral to positive it will just move you along; but a negative will let you explain why.

Was gonna say, conceptually I love that ornamental fountain but make it twice as big. Agreed on red brick too- I want more, more and more. You can never have enough red brick paving; the warmth it adds to a space is incomparable. Will fill out the survey when I have a bit more time.

@Northern Light any thoughts on Clarence Square Park (noticed you were by there in another thread) - saw that the city had removed what seemed like more than a few trees recently plus the encampment has grown to a point where I'm pretty sure they are operating a generator now? Not sure if the city has any plans for the space in terms of revitalization

@Northern Light any thoughts on Clarence Square Park (noticed you were by there in another thread) - saw that the city had removed what seemed like more than a few trees recently plus the encampment has grown to a point where I'm pretty sure they are operating a generator now? Not sure if the city has any plans for the space in terms of revitalization

My thoughts are that encampment does have a generator, occupies a large amount of the park, and is almost certainly operating a bike theft ring, (I counted more than 3 dozen bikes).

Clearly, some people there are in need of housing and that should be found for them and offered to them; but refusing said housing should not be permitted.

The encampment must go.

The Park was previously 'revitalized' in the last few years, I don't like what they did, by the way, I think the design was very poorly conceived; but I digress.

The encampment has certainly damaged a fair bit of turf and some trees, that stuff can be fixed out of parks routine funds, probably 20k or so.

So far as I know, the park does not have any large capital allocations coming. It did not have any listings in the 2023 capital budget.

My thoughts are that encampment does have a generator, occupies a large amount of the park, and is almost certainly operating a bike theft ring, (I counted more than 3 dozen bikes).

Clearly, some people there are in need of housing and that should be found for them and offered to them; but refusing said housing should not be permitted.

The encampment must go.

The Park was previously 'revitalized' in the last few years, I don't like what they did, by the way, I think the design was very poorly conceived; but I digress.

The encampment has certainly damaged a fair bit of turf and some trees, that stuff can be fixed out of parks routine funds, probably 20k or so.

So far as I know, the park does not have any large capital allocations coming. It did not have any listings in the 2023 capital budget.
I wonder if my recently stolen 4 K bike is in their midst. Gutter trash 🤬

So, I had a closer look at the renders for the above.

I believe they do intend to use interlock, however they have rendered a very light colouration.

Toronto Red Brick is historical to our City, but so many LAs seem reticent to use it, I know not why.
It's the same with buildings. While red brick is a local material that is ubiquitous all over Ontario, architects and landscape architects don't want to use it anymore. New buildings are mostly various shades of grey and white, completely lacking the warmth of red. And when they do use red it's the darkest possible shade that looks almost black in certain light. There seems to be an ingrained resistance to using anything traditional, even colours. It's frustrating.

In some parts of the world this isn't the case. New buildings and public spaces use the same local materials that have always been used. Design has a connection to the place that it's in. I wish we had more of that in Canada.

Relatedly, I have noticed the Allan Gardens encampment shrinking over the last few weeks.
I imagine these recently evicted squatters will move to Allan Gardens.

Paywall free: https://archive.is/FU3Vi

A new 2,500 m2 park (slightly larger than five NBA basketball courts) is coming to 15 Delisle Ave., located just west of Yonge Street and Delisle Avenue. The park design will be determined through the community engagement process.

A new 2,500 m2 park (slightly larger than five NBA basketball courts) is coming to 15 Delisle Ave., located just west of Yonge Street and Delisle Avenue. The park design will be determined through the community engagement process.

While larger than some of the truly ridiculous small parks that we've had foisted on us in recent years, it is important to remember how small an area this park represents.

The proposed size is 0.25 hectares or 0.61 acres.

For comparisons sake; a single soccer field requires 1.86 acres. So this is less than 1/3 of a soccer field.

It is, however, large enough to create a decent playscape and relaxing place to sit and eat lunch outdoors.

While larger than some of the truly ridiculous small parks that we've had foisted on us in recent years, it is important to remember how small an area this park represents.

The proposed size is 0.25 hectares or 0.61 acres.

For comparisons sake; a single soccer field requires 1.86 acres. So this is less than 1/3 of a soccer field.

It is, however, large enough to create a decent playscape and relaxing place to sit and eat lunch outdoors.
It would be nice to get something on the Green P parking on the other side of Yonge.

Back