Toronto Pape Transit-Oriented Community | 99.72m | 29s | Infrastructure ON | SvN

artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
The proposed TOC at the future Pape Station would include new retail and office space, creating more jobs and approximately 440 new housing units.

Connected to the future Pape Station, residents and community members will benefit from direct, convenient, and accessible connections to the new Ontario Line subway, the existing Bloor-Danforth subway and TTC bus services.

f04dc05757eac70060299142b4ed4f66.png

Draft concept of the public space along Lipton Avenue at the proposed Pape transit-oriented community, with a pedestrian connection to Danforth Avenue, looking southeast.

Last edited:
Site Area(s) for the above:

1697749246720.png

The lower portion 'A' encompasses the entire block east of the condo proposal at the corner, all the way to Eton, and a portion of the Green P lot to the north.

Site B is 7-15 Gertrude Place, but oddly does not show the balance of the Green P, and also excludes 5 Gertrude for no obvious reason that I can see.

Streetview from Gertrude:

1697749527417.png

Everything from the 1s white bungalow to the left is included, but the 2s house setback to the right is not.

Last edited:
https://engageio.ca/en/pape

More info to come

The proposed community is anticipated to deliver approximately 439 residential units, providing a range and mix of housing options, including affordable housing. Approximately 35% of the proposed residential units within the Pape TOC are currently planned as 2 or 3-bedroom units suitable for families or larger households. The project would also deliver approximately 2,150 square metres of retail space, which would help support local economic development.

2.jpg
1.png

edit: sorry - didn't know about the existing thread

Last edited:
Ok.........lets see, some observations:

1) While there is no dedicated parking for residents, there are 3 levels of 'shared' parking, underground. I'm not sold on that, unless there were larger format, destination retail on the second level above grade, but there is not.

2) As @innsertnamehere notes above, this proposal envisions the Green P lot remaining * (to be clear, I think Green P is looking at this one as having development potential and/or serving as the park for what's around it; but that should be sorted now to optimize the development plan, not done ad hoc.

3) There is no large format retail (ie. a supermarket) contemplated on the second floor here, or underground, which I think should absolutely be considered, there is only one small Foodland nearby, which is great, but wholly inadequate for the incoming density.

4) For the elevator file: 5 elevators over 414 units. Unusually generous. 1.2 elevators per 100 units.

5) This is the proper way to format retail:

1709658651852.png

Good!

(deeper than wide), fewer windows

6) Render police moment: Has anyone talking to the City about allowing 100% interlock on the sidewalks, they do tend to fight that; looks great, I'll believe it when....... Also, the render shows the high-mast streetlights removed......... LOL I'm all for it.....but....

Edit to add the Site Statistical Summary:

1709659115592.png

Last edited:
Also, the render shows the high-mast streetlights removed......... LOL I'm all for it.....but....
But you know, things are conveniently removed from renders not to distract away from the subject of the render. Kinda like when that one street level render of CBIC Square, Phase 1...where the Gardiner had magically disappeared. It would be nice they could send eyesores of such into the void like that at a wave of a wand...but at the end of day, things like high-mast streetlights and aging elevated freeways will still be there when all is said and developed, for good or bad. So don't put your money and hopes on that! >.<

It's not in the official one but, look at it, it's screaming "develop meee, develop meee" haha

Its already being redeveloped, we have a thread for that!

We need to make a distinction here. ToCs here refers to communities being built on land acquired, in whole or in part by Mx/Infrastructure Ontario.

It is not a substitute for MTSAs which is the intensification of land use zoning around most transit stations that is unfolding.

the most upsetting part of this is them leaving the Green P lot atop the subway as-is.
…because of how shallow the 1960’s cut and cover Subway tunnels are running just north of Danforth. The parking-lots and parks are just about all those tunnels were engineered to support above them.

This image is of the tunnel depth between Main and Chisholm. That stretch of the line is very shallow.

5D82EA91-9E7A-4058-AC64-AA295B5EC327.jpeg

…because of how shallow the 1960’s cut and cover Subway tunnels are running just north of Danforth. The parking-lots and parks are just about all those tunnels were engineered to support above them.

This image is of the tunnel depth between Main and Chisholm. That stretch of the line is very shallow.

View attachment 546016

Similarly shallow tunnels can be found just east of Yonge from north of College to north of Bloor, and these have increasingly been built over; one 'simply' puts the structural supports for the building on the outside of the tunnel, and then builds a new deck over the top, which could replace the existing tunnel roof, but that isn't strictly necessary.

There is an added cost to that, which certainly impedes lowrise forms. But this was done for a mere 17-storey tower that currently sits atop the Line 1 Bloor platform. It can be made to work if the value of the new build is there.

Obviously, in this case, that would come either from being integrated with the development to the south, or from extending the TOC further north such that its plausible to transition at a height that would make the numbers work.

While the option exists to turn that into a park, I'm inclined to site the green space elsewhere and would prefer transitional density here.

On that note, my proposal here:

1709690329574.png

Create an enlarged area of density (outlined in red); buffered by a transition zone in pink.

Extend Getrude to Gertrude to be the new 'hard line'.

Pool all area parks funds to turn the existing Langford Park (over the Line 2 tunnel) into a real park of useful size to meet the new needs the community and to act to buffer the higher density from lower to the east/north.

A quick glance doesn't show a lot of precious architecture. There are no historically designated or listed buildings north of the Danforth strip itself, then only 3 small properties.

The park can also be designed to absorb a portion of the storm water for the redevelopment of the area.

Back