392     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 673     1 

Palin vs. Biden--Vice Presidential Debate

Brian69

Not the Messiah
Member Bio
Reaction score
The debate is still going on but this is much like a 14-3 lead in the 6th inning. It's over and we can see where it's going.

It's turning out like expected. Palin has been wooden and keeps staring into the camera like the pageant queen she was--rehearsed and unable to respond to questions she hasn't prepared for. So many stumbles and slips, though Biden made a few himself. It looks very much like her recent interviews have been accurate. She kept veering off responding into rehearsed soundbites that really felt contrived.

Biden held back for awhile and let her make her own disasters. Eventually he hit back, but it didn't even seem like a fair fight--he could respond whereas she could not.

No wonder the Republicans hid her from the press--Palin has little idea of what to say outside what her handlers prepare for her.

If I hear maverick one more time I'm gonna hurl.

This wasn't a debate, it was a joke. She was reading talking points and talking about how great McCain is because he's a maverick virtually the entire "debate" without actually standing for anything.

BUT, intelligence doesn't win elections. Her expectations were so low, and she actually performed and didn't technically flub up horrifically.

So it might by default be a win for McCain, ironically.

That's true--there were low expectations. But man, she is inexperienced. It should give the average American pause should she enter the Oval Office due to McCain's rather advanced age.

BUT, intelligence doesn't win elections.

I predict it's her winking that will make or break their campaign. It was a bit on the low side with 2 during the debate. I'm guessing McCain will pick up the slack in the next debates.

Seriously though, it was my first time seeing Biden and he gave me the impression of a compitent man that I feel could fill the shoes of a VP. Nearing the end, he wasn't too good in providing specific answers but definitely was better than Palin. However, she did redeem herself a bit after those horrible interviews with Couric.

I'm also patiently waiting for this weeks SNL. :)

they made a clear and bold point that they were both against gay marriage. i think they actually spent more time talking about that than bin laden. both VP hopefuls think gays getting married is a bigger threat to america.

That's true--there were low expectations. But man, she is inexperienced. It should give the average American pause should she enter the Oval Office due to McCain's rather advanced age.

If experience is important (as opposed to just spinning), then if she is going to give you pause for being inexperienced - the same should be true for Obama. Everytime one of Obama's proxies (news shows - democratic primary) was asked what was his accomplishments - legislatively - there was an effort not to answer that question directly. He is one of 100 (i.e. not leadership), a very junior member. To me, experience is just one thing I consider - not the most important.... I do find it funny when someone brings this up though, and when I hear it brought up by a "news person" - but only when talking about Palin - then I get very suspicious that he is showing his personal bias.

It should give the average American pause should she enter the Oval Office due to McCain's rather advanced age.

i think the average male american is too busy thinking about entering her oval office to pause and think about mccain's age. ;)

Not to mention - if it is really a problem - there is a political mechanism to solve the problem.... it is called impeachment (high crimes (which covers crimes) and misdemeanors (which covers competence). I really don't expect McCain to die in office - I am pretty sure he has ended up with his mother's genes... she's 95+ years old and still going out on the campaign trail - she is in better shape than most people at the age of 65. Even if he did die (2 years in), she will have almost as much experience as VP as Obama has in Congress -- not to mention everyone will still be there in the administration that was appointed by McCain.

While Palin certainly didn't win the debate, she succeeded in 2 aspects:

1) She maintained poise. The expectations were set so low for her that this is actually counted as an accomplishment.

2) She re-energized McCain's conservative base, with same slogans conservatives have used for years-- "government is the problem", "cut taxes", "We're winning in Iraq", "the answer to America's health care woes is a tax credit". A lot of prominent conservatives (e.g., David Brooks, Rich Lowry) were starting to jump ship, but I think some of them will float back to McCain-Palin, which could be important if the race tightens up again.

Back