News   Apr 26, 2024
 379     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 576     0 

Palace Pier recladding

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that they are replacing the original glazing and dirty bronze trim with silver coloured units? The effect is a bit jarring.

AoD

A friend lives in the building. He says that's getting covered by a brown cover eventually. The silver is the first layer.

I hope what he says is accurate in any case.

I agree. They should keep any new cladding true to the original design. The complex still has among the best condo towers in the city for their distinctive architecture, large units and luxurious amenities. It would be good if they could replace the utilitarian metal-pipe smoke stacks atop one of the towers with something less noticeable from the ground.

Update on the reclad happening at palace pier. The silver layer looks pretty final to my eye from here.

Sorry for potato cam cellphone shots.

20170413_180811.jpg
20170413_180753.jpg

Attachments

• 20170413_180811.jpg
    20170413_180811.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 354
  • 20170413_180753.jpg
    20170413_180753.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 406
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like they are replacing the panels but, not the structure. The lines wouldn't change in any case. The white doesn't look good. Maybe if they paint the concrete white as well not that I'm necessarily in favour of that.

It looks like they are replacing the panels but, not the structure. The lines wouldn't change in any case. The white doesn't look good. Maybe if they paint the concrete white as well not that I'm necessarily in favour of that.
I think the white cladidng will ad a distinctly mid-century modernist flare to the tower. However I too would have e preferred they stick with the brown.

It could be good or terrible 80s office tower looking, or be reminiscent of the Citigroup tower downtown but I'll reserve full judgement until I see more.

It's actually a silver colour, according to someone in the building, and it is the final cladding.

Oh jeez.....it doesn't look terrible...but I really enjoy the look it presents as a brown tower. It has a slight industrial look with the mini chimneys, and it is quite a landmark at least for Etobicoke (And for the Waterfront of Toronto).

Back