News   Apr 26, 2024
 102     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 147     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 573     0 

Outside electrical outlets on balconies of residential towers

It should be noted that some condos won't allow Xmas lights even if there is a power receptacle there.

When I moved into where I am now the superintendent was happy to drill through the balcony wall for $20 so that I could feed an outdoor extension cord to the balcony. I had to cut the end off of the extension cord to pull it through, then I spliced it back together & caulked the hole to prevent spiders/drafts and it's worked perfect for 11 or 12 years now. Not ideal, but it works!
Not ideal, and illegal too. This doesn't meet building code.

It should be noted that some condos won't allow Xmas lights even if there is a power receptacle there.

Not ideal, and illegal too. This doesn't meet building code.

When done properly, the condo or rental building would have to get a building and/or electrical permits. That would include inspections. Most people wouldn't want to bother with that. If they bypass the permits, it would be better if done by the "code".

When done properly, the condo or rental building would have to get a building and/or electrical permits. That would include inspections. Most people wouldn't want to bother with that. If they bypass the permits, it would be better if done by the "code".

Well, even if there were a permit, this would fail an inspection, as this is a serious violation of building code. You are not allowed to run extension cords through holes in walls as it is a fire hazard. Yes, this is a real world concern, as extension cords are a very common source of fires. Running it through a wall makes it worse, as the insulation is not spec'd for that purpose.

Just as importantly, if there were ever a fire at that site, the insurance company could deny the claim. That was a very poor decision on the superintendent's part.

Last edited:
Well, even if there were a permit, this would fail an inspection, as this is a serious violation of building code. You are not allowed to run extension cords through holes in walls as it is a fire hazard. Yes, this is a real world concern, as extension cords are a very common source of fires. Running it through a wall makes it worse, as the insulation is not spec'd for that purpose.

Just as importantly, if there were ever a fire at that site, the insurance company could deny the claim. That was a very poor decision on the superintendent's part.
Most rentals are slummy and could care less.

Is there really a difference from this rather than running an extension cord through a balcony window or door (which most people do) vs. what I've done? People run extension cords out of their homes too. I thought this was OK, but I'm no electrician. I really don't know about this stuff, but I'd like to know.

Last edited:
Is there really a difference from this rather than running an extension cord through a balcony window or door (which most people do) vs. what I've done? People run extension cords out of their homes too. I thought this was OK, but I'm no electrician. I really don't know about this stuff, but I'd like to know.
Not sure what more can be added to Eug's comment. Having an extension cord that has been cut (to go through the hole) makes it even more dangerous and his point about the probable refusal of insurance (if this were discovered) is well made.

Having an extension cord that has been cut (to go through the hole) makes it even more dangerous

How does cutting and re terminating a cable make it more dangerous?

While armored cable could be used in exposed areas, it is not "weather" proof.

1000433042_prime_4.jpg

Plastic or metal conduit would be better.

2c1af7ab7556374c7c3fbe013f7da58d.jpg

Attachments

• 1000433042_prime_4.jpg
    1000433042_prime_4.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,051
  • 2c1af7ab7556374c7c3fbe013f7da58d.jpg
    2c1af7ab7556374c7c3fbe013f7da58d.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,167
How does cutting and re terminating a cable make it more dangerous?
Because many people (particularly those who do this kind of thing) are not electricians and do not make safe connections. As far as I know, all electrical connections need to be in a metal box to meet Code.

Because many people (particularly those who do this kind of thing) are not electricians and do not make safe connections. As far as I know, all electrical connections need to be in a metal box to meet Code.

This is often the cry of those who don't understand basic electricity.
Terminating a cable is not hard. The box doesn't have to be metal.

Actually, the box has to be grounded. It doesn't have to be metal.

...and it's not possible to ground a plastic box.

This is often the cry of those who don't understand basic electricity.
Terminating a cable is not hard. The box doesn't have to be metal.

...and it's not possible to ground a plastic box.

attachment.php

That copper piece in the plastic box is the ground to which the ground wire and the receptacle are to be attached to. Therefore grounding it.

attachment.php

That copper piece in the plastic box is the ground to which the ground wire and the receptacle are to be attached to. Therefore grounding it.

The copper piece in that non conductive plastic box is there to provide a safety ground connection to the metal frame on the receptacle or switch that will be mounted in the box. It does not ground the box. the box is made of non conductive plastic which is impossible to ground. non conductive means it is an electrical insulator.

An extension cord run outside to your balcony also lacks a ground-fault interrupter (unless it is plugged into a GFI outlet inside). Regardless, it is a code requirement for exterior electrical outlets.

Working in construction, we run extension cords outside all the time, and yes, it is dangerous under the right conditions.

I spoke to a friend in Hamilton who is an electrician before I read the latest posts and he confirms "not a good idea" with my setup, no surprise after reading the comments above just now. He said my biggest mistake (read: biggest) was cutting and splicing the cord, he said I should re-cut and buy a waterproof female end for the cord from Canuk Tire and properly splice it into that. He's here next Sunday for a concert at ACC, I'll ask him to do it then. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Back