News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 871     0 

Ontario's Downtown University/College Expansion Plans

As an aside, I wonder what the feasibility of luring a McGill or Concordia campus to the GTHA would be?! I know cross provincial jurisdictions may be tricky but it is 2023! Lol

I always expect more from these announcements! Lol

St. Clair College in Windsor has signed an agreement for 400 units of student housing at a downtown development site in Windsor.

St. Clair College in Windsor has signed an agreement for 400 units of student housing at a downtown development site in Windsor.
City of Windsor just cancelled this plan and is no longer allowing the developer to buy the property (old Grace Hospital site at Crawford/University). The developer that was originally awarded the opportunity to develop back in 2020 has sat on the property for over 3 years now with no preliminary plans emerging until last year.

Obviously the pandemic was a huge factor in why it has taken so long but it looks like the city wants to try again with someone else who can do it faster. I hope they find an interested party that wants to build a greater level of density on this property.

Brock University is renovating an old elementary school to be a satellite campus. Though this may seem to be an odd choice location wise it is an area that Burlington has declared a community hub and is starting a new community centre. Also this is near a GO station and not far from the Lake.
IMG_5856.png

Brock University is renovating an old elementary school to be a satellite campus. Though this may seem to be an odd choice location wise it is an area that Burlington has declared a community hub and is starting a new community centre. Also this is near a GO station and not far from the Lake. View attachment 527640
This has been underway for some time, is the former home of a high school, and includes a newly renovated community pool as well.

Brock University is renovating an old elementary school to be a satellite campus. Though this may seem to be an odd choice location wise it is an area that Burlington has declared a community hub and is starting a new community centre. Also this is near a GO station and not far from the Lake.

Not odd in comparison to where McMaster dumped their MBA school in Burlington. No public transport option at all, and not even driving friendly with the odd location halfway between two QEW interchanges.
There had a to be way better locations than that.

Not odd in comparison to where McMaster dumped their MBA school in Burlington. No public transport option at all, and not even driving friendly with the odd location halfway between two QEW interchanges.
I expect it’s just intended as a sink for attracting foreign student cash.

I believe there were proposals for building this in downtown Burlington, and there was an agreement in principal, but then Mac walked, chose this site, and talked about exposure…There were discussions that they were not happy with Burlingtons emphasis on Public Transit in the original downtown scheme. The current location is optimized for cars obviously.

Someone on SSP’s London thread has said that Western is planning something big for central London and details are coming soon. Finally!

Back