News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 628     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Ontario Liberals undermined own plan to control sprawl: Walkom

Even the Waterloo Region goal could be undermined. They're currently in the process of going against the OMB because the OMB said WR's most recent official plan didn't provide enough space for suburban development — which is the point of that OP.

Even the Waterloo Region goal could be undermined. They're currently in the process of going against the OMB because the OMB said WR's most recent official plan didn't provide enough space for suburban development — which is the point of that OP.

For real? Wow, maybe the OMB is a huge detriment after all.

Would you want to live or work there? Try getting in and out of there. SRT? 401? GO bus on 401?
It ain't pretty.

I wouldn't mind working there if I lived in the east end. A reverse commute on the subway and RT would be a breeze--in 30 minutes or less, always having a seat. It has a lot of potential as a neighbourhood if they revitalize its public spaces like Albert Campbell Square. For some reason, however, the city hasn't done that.

Toronto has a huge urban area, regardless of "how bad it is in the US", and it badly needs to be densified and turned into a real city so to speak. Ideally we should fit another 2 million people into our current boundaries before moving outwards. New subdivisions like Seaton are restricting out ability to do so however.

By no means are our cities as contained as they could be, but we're also not as car-centric as a lot of people on here seem to think we are. In all of our major cities over 10% of the population uses public transit to get to work every day, and it's a number that's increasing every year. We're not there yet, but we're well on the way.

And a neighbourhood doesn't necessarily have to be uber-dense in order to be well-functioning and not car-centric. Just as important is mixed zoning coupled with a city that puts a lot of effort into supporting it's small businesses. For all its faults, Hamilton does a great job of this. The mountain is only about medium density, mostly small bungalows and some commieblocks. However, when I lived there I often joked that Hamilton's great because no matter what part of the city you're in, you're a 5 minute walk from a bar. Basically, you can do most of your everyday items there on foot.

And yes, people probably use the US as a comparison fairly often here, but, regardless, the fact is that it's true. They are far more sprawled out than we are. If you compare Youngstown, Ohio to Hamilton, Youngstown's built up area takes up twice as much space it seems, yet they're both about the same population. If I was typing from a computer I'd get the screenshots, cause it's pretty startling.

10% isn't that great though. As I said, comparing us to the US we look great, but the US is largely considered one of the lowest standards for cities. We should be aiming for 30% transit modal split. I completely agree that you don't have to be ultra dense to build an urban neighborhood, but we seem incapable of building that model of city in the 21st century, and it doesn't work in already existing suburbs. The Avenues plan is a great way to move forward in trying to urbanize the suburbs.

10% isn't that great though. As I said, comparing us to the US we look great, but the US is largely considered one of the lowest standards for cities. We should be aiming for 30% transit modal split. I completely agree that you don't have to be ultra dense to build an urban neighborhood, but we seem incapable of building that model of city in the 21st century, and it doesn't work in already existing suburbs. The Avenues plan is a great way to move forward in trying to urbanize the suburbs.

I really like the "avenue" plan. However is avenue just in the name to give it a fancy name or is it actually a plan exclusively for avenues. I ask this because the avenue plan would seem to be perfect on "streets" such as dufferin, bathurst, and avenue road.

If it's literally meant for just avenues we would be building a city with mixed use and density going only east and west (Sheppard, Lawrence, eglinton) rather then going east west as well as north south.

Marlee in particular could also add density. Between dufferin and yonge we should be able to build a dense urban fabric which may have larger intersection spacing then downtown but should be walkable, shopable and enjoyable.

I really like the "avenue" plan. However is avenue just in the name to give it a fancy name or is it actually a plan exclusively for avenues. I ask this because the avenue plan would seem to be perfect on "streets" such as dufferin, bathurst, and avenue road.

If it's literally meant for just avenues we would be building a city with mixed use and density going only east and west (Sheppard, Lawrence, eglinton) rather then going east west as well as north south.

Marlee in particular could also add density. Between dufferin and yonge we should be able to build a dense urban fabric which may have larger intersection spacing then downtown but should be walkable, shopable and enjoyable.
I agree that Marlee can add in some density. There is already a few blocks of rental towers on Marlee between the former York-North York boundary and the Belt Line. The area around Glencairn station is a good opportunity to increase density. Marlee and Glencairn can also add in increased density as well.

I live in a house on the west side of Marlee in the former city of York.

I agree that Marlee can add in some density. There is already a few blocks of rental towers on Marlee between the former York-North York boundary and the Belt Line. The area around Glencairn station is a good opportunity to increase density. Marlee and Glencairn can also add in increased density as well.

I live in a house on the west side of Marlee in the former city of York.

To me Dufferin seems to be as far west as people would be willing to walk to a station. Dufferin and Lawrence is changing. I will assume that Dufferin and Eglinton will change dramatically with the LRT. Glencarin and Dufferin could get redeveloped and then there would just be a few spots inbetween .. Maybe Im just optimistic about people wanting to change to transit and walking with just how much traffic is on the roads plus the increased price of driving.

To me Dufferin seems to be as far west as people would be willing to walk to a station. Dufferin and Lawrence is changing. I will assume that Dufferin and Eglinton will change dramatically with the LRT. Glencarin and Dufferin could get redeveloped and then there would just be a few spots inbetween .. Maybe Im just optimistic about people wanting to change to transit and walking with just how much traffic is on the roads plus the increased price of driving.
Oh, and Briar Hill Community School is being demolished and be replaced with townhouses and retail. I see a few NIMBY signs along Briar Hill between Dufferin and Marlee.

Oh, and Briar Hill Community School is being demolished and be replaced with townhouses and retail. I see a few NIMBY signs along Briar Hill between Dufferin and Marlee.

Im completely confused why the area is becoming townhouses and not midrises other then it takes longer to get a midrise approved... Thee are so many plazas on Marlee that could be replaced with midrises with retail on the bottom. Please keep the Dominos pizza and I honestly hadnt heard about the school.

Midrises have high costs due to the concrete construction, it is easier to build a bunch of 3 floor wood townhomes.

Midrises have high costs due to the concrete construction, it is easier to build a bunch of 3 floor wood townhomes.

Town houses might be better then more mansions but provide no retail to walk to. Mid rises are important to keep the amenities in the neighbourhood.

Briar Hill Community school was excess TDSB property a few years after the York Board of Education merged with the other school boards in Metro Toronto as part of amalgamation.

The TDSB sold off Briar Hill Community School (which is being demolished and replaced with townhouses and it was too close to West Prep and Fairbank Community School, and the neighbourhood has much more Catholic elementary school students (especially of Italian, Portuguese, Latino, and especially Filipino ethnicities) than non-Catholic students) and Arlington Middle School (building became a Jewish private school) to help pay for upgrading JR Wilcox, Rawlinson, and Humewood (the three are now K-8).

Last edited:

Back