News   May 10, 2024
 174     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 249     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 375     0 

Ontario Citizens Assembly comes up with a voting system...

Re: Ontario Citizens Assembly comes up with a voting system.

^plus, with a proportional system it's next to impossible for any one party to win a majority, so parties will be less likely to contsantly try to bring down the government. A system that seems less stable on the surface means more compromise and working together by necessity.

How does anything you mention indicate that minorities are necessarily a bad thing compared to artificial majorities elected under FPTP?

I did not mention or state that minorities are automatically bad; but then one can't assume that they are they automatically "good," for that matter. The success of a minority government will always depend on a whole range of circumstances that go far beyong electoral methodology. I am saying that it is wrong to suggest that a more representative electoral system will automatically result in better government. First, you can't know this to be true; and second, notions such as "good," "better" and "more effective" are politically charged. Good for whom exactly?

As for whether a proportional government will do less politicking, I think not. Evenly matched minority parties could actually expend more effort using no confidence votes as a means of rattling process or to get press. There is no reason for any one party to stop from doing so. The reason we don't recognize this is that we have never had an electoral system that has resulted in a long string of minority governments.

As for a superficially less stable governments resulting in more compromise and better working relationships, there is no proof that this will automatically happen. No insult intended, but it is politically naive to assume that this will be the result. Less stable governments could end up being just that: less stable. Compromise could suggest a weakened government, one unwilling to lead or to take tough positions when required or deemed neccessay by MP's. In effect, government could just as easily be compromised.

Again, altering the system of representation will not automatically guarantee stability in government. It is an effort to provide more fair voter representation. Let's not confuse the two.

What's so great about "leading" and "taking tough positions" if it's against what the majority of MPs want? In
Canada we have this idea that government is about ramming through legislation and dismantling the previous government's programs in the limited time you're in power, then the winds shift, another party wins a majority, and the whole thing happens again. The opposition spends all its energy attacking the ruling party, no matter how good the ideas might be. In a minority this happens even more, since a majority can be won with a little momentum, so bringing down the government is priority #1. Maybe that's one of the reasons people are so disillusioned with government, it's so childish.

Why shouldn't government be about compromise? I don't know where you get this idea that compromise makes people or governments weak.

bozorky, you keep saying that a minority is a minority, regardless of the system, but you're wrong, the system does affect it. That's like saying that density is density, regardless of how it's designed. But just like urban design affects how people use the urban environment, the political system affects how people practice politics.

Nobody said that changing the system will automatically guarantee stability. But it can help. You seem to be suggesting the opposite, that PR is automatically less stable. That's obviously not the case, since most western countries have PR and they're no less stable than us.

Is anyone familiar with how PR governments in other countries work? How do they handle stability? Are the governing parties constantly in danger of being brought down? Is the mudslinging as bad as it is here, or do parties work together more?

edit - I just read your post, jordancerovic, I agree 100%.

What's so great about "leading" and "taking tough positions" if it's against what the majority of MPs want?

What is the purpose of wanting to be elected to govern if not to bring your ideas and political beliefs into play? The purpose of government is to effect legislation. That is done by acquiring political power by way of the consent of the electorate.

In Canada we have this idea that government is about ramming through legislation and dismantling the previous government's programs in the limited time you're in power, then the winds shift, another party wins a majority, and the whole thing happens again. The opposition spends all its energy attacking the ruling party, no matter how good the ideas might be. In a minority this happens even more, since a majority can be won with a little momentum, so bringing down the government is priority #1. Maybe that's one of the reasons people are so disillusioned with government, it's so childish.

Passing legislation is a little more complicated than you picture it, and representatives from other political parties do have a say in the drafting of legislation. As for establishing, augmenting or closing programs, that is both the task and the prerogative of a government. They are voted in to do such things. They are constrained by the constitution, the courts and the electorate.

Beyond that, programs are not legislated to last for an eternity; they can become less effective or even useless over time. Such assessments can, to a large degree be subjective in substance, and no amount of electoral restructuring will change that. Some people may take the view for ideological or economic reasons that certain programs should be curtailed and eliminated. Others may want to see these programs sustained or even broadened, based on their own political positions. Somehow, there is this magic view that a consensus can be struck that will make everyone happy. This conclusion is arrived at only by disregarding the far higher probability that what you will end up with is nothing, or an ineffectual, poorly structured program that has little or no effect, and costs money to support. Because it is a product of consensus, everyone has to take responsibility for the sitaution, but nobody may want to do anything about the mess because that would be an admission that they, too, are responsible for it.

Governments make programs. That's what they do. They legislate them into being, support them, reduce them, eliminate them when they see fit. Programs and legislation don't drop on us from the sky. They are products of political activity, and I bet every program out there has its political opponent of some kind or another because of political difference

Ask yourself this, in a time where governments can achieve majorities, why have so many province-wide or nation-wide programs failed to be put in place by government? Now, do you really think that a consensus between ideologically opposing parties will somehow make this happen? Do you think that these differing parties would somehow automatically see everything the same way? There is no proof to support such a view.

bozorky, you keep saying that a minority is a minority, regardless of the system, but you're wrong, the system does affect it. That's like saying that density is density, regardless of how it's designed. But just like urban design affects how people use the urban environment, the political system affects how people practice politics.

How is a minority not a minority? Three minority parties are three minority parties - unless one becomes a majority in an election, or two gang up on one. But if they all disagree, nothing gets done. What does any of this have to do with density or urban planning? If you are going to assert that I am wrong, you might want to provide some explanation other than analogies that bear no resemblance to the topic at hand.

Nobody said that changing the system will automatically guarantee stability.

I think some people actually have alluded to this. I've stated that there is no proof that this assertion is valid. No one can prove that governments made up of parties with no clear majority will be stable. Some may be, but that does not mean that it is given that all such governments will be. There is also no guarantee that they will all come to an agreement on a many aspects of legislation.

I think there is a degree of confusion between politics (ideology) and electoral structure. If people want to pursue changes to the electoral system so as to make it more "fair," that's fine - so long as you spell out what you mean by fairness in that process (because that is contested territory as well). Nevertheless, this particular aim should never be confused with the political activities of parties or individuals, or the beliefs and ideals upon which these actions are based. Democratic politics offers up no absolute "right" view. This can be viewed as both a great gift and a curse at the same time - but anyway, there it is.

Everyone has a say in a democracy (which is also a product of a political belief), and if they want to gain support for their ideas, they have to come up with a good enough arguments to convince others that these ideas are sound. But it is extremely rare to find exactly the same views or ideals shared by all. So long as this difference exists, there will be a political spectrum, and so long as this spectrum exists, people will try to move their ideals to the forefront. The notion that somehow everything will always be stewed to a happy consensus is unrealistic.

Altering the system of representation will not automatically guarantee stability or better government. Altering the electoral system is an effort to provide more fair voter representation. Let's not confuse the two. And let's not forget that fair has its interpretations as well. It, too, is political.

You're putting up strawmen, bizorky.

Of course people do not all share the same views. But if Parliament actually reflects the voting intentions of the electorate, then it will at least require a majority of the representatives of the electorate to enact legislation. At present, it's all to easy for parties that represent a third of the people to have all the influence, and that is undemocratic.

Of course minorities are not automatically stable. However, if the prospect of large changes in seat count doesn't exist, causing an election will only drain party coffers to no good reason. So, parties will be more inclined to form either coalitions or working majorities on various issues so that they can pass legislation that they can later brag about to their constituents. It's not complicated. I mean, just look at the NDP. They are willing to work with a party on the exact opposite end of the spectrum in order to be seen as being effective by their power base. The minority in Ottawa is so tenuous (and will continue to be) because if either the Liberals or CPC manage to increase their lead over the other by more than 5%, because they could probably form a majority thanks to our bizarre electoral system. This incentive doesn't exist in a PR system.

I am putting up more than a strawman argument. People have been asserting that changes to the electoral system will result in better government on the basis that they believe minorities work better. That's only an opinion. I've pointed out that there is no proof that this is automatically so.

I've pointed out that if you really want to open up the idea of "fairness" to all takers in terms of representation, then start looking at other options to fulfill that aim that have come up in the past. What has been discussed here so far revolves around political parties maybe because some people feel that their political party, or their politics, has been under-represented.

So, parties will be more inclined to form either coalitions or working majorities on various issues so that they can pass legislation that they can later brag about to their constituents. It's not complicated.

As I noted earlier, there is a significant difference between three parties operating on their own, and a coalition government. But once again, even coalitions between parties with ideological differences do not necessarily add up to long lasting governments. They are marriages of convenience - and there can be a political price to pay from some voters who see their votes being diluted. Given particular circumstances, coalitions do not result in any one party being able to move forward with its agenda.

However, if the prospect of large changes in seat count doesn't exist, causing an election will only drain party coffers to no good reason.

Which could result in a government doing as little as possible.

So, parties will be more inclined to form either coalitions or working majorities on various issues so that they can pass legislation that they can later brag about to their constituents.

A coalition is different from two parties agreeing to support a specific piece of legislation. Coalitions govern as a majority. They decide to do so after an election, receive the right to do so, and then negotiate their legislative agenda. That means that some of the things that either party may have promised in the election will either not show up, or reflect the approach of another party. This does not automatically result in more effective government, more stable government or even voter satisfaction.

I mean, just look at the NDP. They are willing to work with a party on the exact opposite end of the spectrum in order to be seen as being effective by their power base.

They "work" together on a handful of issues. But when pointing that out, don't forget to listen to those members of the NDP who view the party as a sell-out for supporting a Conservative government that they are ideologically opposed to. Don't forget those NDP supporters who see Jack Layton doing so only to marginalize a weakened Liberal party. Jack wants to be leader of the opposition. Should he ever obtain such position, cooperation will disolve very quickly.

Again, altering the system of representation will not automatically guarantee stability, better government, long-lasting coalitions, less frequent election or progressive program development. Altering the electoral system is an attempt to provide more fair voter representation. Let's not confuse the two.

I don't think anyone is. We're disagreeing with you when you say that minorities are inherently less stable and provide lesser quality governance.

Yes, some of you have been doing so.

You have not proven that minorities are more stable than majority governments, or are capable of providing a better quality of governance. That idea is running through many posts.

A minority is a minority - regardless of the voting system that creates it. Stability, cooperation, consensus - these all depend on the parties, the members and the issues that have been central to that particular election, so no specific voting system will determine how well a government or a parliament functions.

That's not rational.

I'm with bizorky on this one and I don't really see anything irrational about that statement. A voting system cannot create greater stability, co-operation, and consensus by itself. It will still be up to the elected representatives to create those things. A majority government is more likely to be stable since it is more likely that elected members will be on the same page, but a majority could also be co-operative and build consensus. A minority is probably more likely to be less stable because the elected members will be more likely to disagree. There would be a need in a minority government to co-operate and build consensus for there to be stability, but there would be no guarantee of that. The only difference between a FPTP minority and a PR minority is that the elected members will more likely represent the the views of the electorate in percentages more aligned with the public. There is no inherent difference between the two minorities on stability, consensus building, and co-operation without the MPs or MPPs behaving differently.

And a PR minority is less likely to be dissolved, given equivalent shifts in popular support. Do you at least concede this point? Minority FPTP parliaments are less stable than minority PR parliaments.

Why? Because the desire to get the less likely majority is reduced? What was in it for Layton to bring down the last government other than to try and get a few more seats? The desire to get more seats would be similar. I think a swing in the polls will entice those who would benefit from an election regardless. There may be some reduction in the frequency of elections due to "election exhaustion" but we are seeing a bit of that now. Changes in public support trigger elections now and they will do the same in all governments unless there are fixed election dates.

What is the purpose of wanting to be elected to govern if not to bring your ideas and political beliefs into play? The purpose of government is to effect legislation. That is done by acquiring political power by way of the consent of the electorate.
And if the electorate doesn't consent to one party getting 50% of the vote, then they have to effect legislation with the help of other parties. Part of acquiring political power is working with the other parties. It's not as inconceivable as you make it seem. You're right, passing legislation is complicated, and part of that is working with other parties to get it done.

What does any of this have to do with density or urban planning?
It's an analogy to show that changing the system affects how people use it. Politics is no different from urban planning in that respect.

There is no proof to support such a view.
But if they all disagree, nothing gets done.
Somehow, there is this magic view that a consensus can be struck that will make everyone happy. This conclusion is arrived at only by disregarding the far higher probability that what you will end up with is nothing, or an ineffectual, poorly structured program that has little or no effect, and costs money to support.
You demand proof for my opinions but you provide none for your own. The proof is in the dozens of countries around the world that use PR and manage to govern themselves effectively. The average term of the average PR minority government worldwide is a lot longer than the average term of FPTP minority governments in Canada. You'll probably say that something inherent in the politicians in Canada, I'd say it's at least party due to the system. We're never going convince each other.

I think some people actually have alluded to this. I've stated that there is no proof that this assertion is valid. No one can prove that governments made up of parties with no clear majority will be stable. Some may be, but that does not mean that it is given that all such governments will be. There is also no guarantee that they will all come to an agreement on a many aspects of legislation.
So this is like the global warming debate - nothing short of 100% rock solid proof will satisfy you. You're going to dismiss the experience of other countries, so you're going to keep arguing against PR until one of the provinces actually tries it.

Altering the system of representation will not automatically guarantee stability or better government.
Altering the system of representation will not automatically guarantee instability or worse government.

Enviro - a PR minority is more stable than a FPTP minority because the incentinve to constantly try to bring down the government in a PR system just isn't there, for reasons that have been covered. If it works in other countries, it can work here? re: fixed election dates, Ontario already has those, and I'd imagine that would be a feature in any PR system.

But those dates are only fixed if the government doesn't fall before then. Then there is the US, where there are no votes of no confidence. I suppose they handle this problem by have a two party system...

And if the electorate doesn't consent to one party getting 50% of the vote

The electorate votes for an MP of a particular party, not for a whole government. It's part of the limitation being explored here.

Part of acquiring political power is working with the other parties. It's not as inconceivable as you make it seem.

Okay, be clear on this: nowhere did I say that anything was or is inconceivable. Do you understand that? If you are going to criticize someone, at least try to be mildly accurate.

It's an analogy to show that changing the system affects how people use it. Politics is no different from urban planning in that respect.

There are analogies and there are bad analogies. This is the latter.

You demand proof for my opinions but you provide none for your own. The proof is in the dozens of countries around the world that use PR and manage to govern themselves effectively. The average term of the average PR minority government worldwide is a lot longer than the average term of FPTP minority governments in Canada.

Yeah, and there is a long history of minority and coalitions governments falling well within their mandates in many different countries. I am asking for proof for statements suggesting that minority governments, whatever their structure, make for more stable governments than majorities.

Allow me to quote myself:

Stability, cooperation, consensus - these all depend on the parties, the members and the issues that have been central to that particular election, so no specific voting system will determine how well a government or a parliament functions.

Minority parliaments are much more sensitive to these circumstances.

So this is like the global warming debate - nothing short of 100% rock solid proof will satisfy you. You're going to dismiss the experience of other countries, so you're going to keep arguing against PR until one of the provinces actually tries it.

No, I don't think it's anything like the global warming debate. It's an error on your part to think that they are similar. The effort you expend to miss my point leaves me with no other suggestion than that you go back and carefully reread what I have written. The first thing you will note is that I have not dismissed PR. I think it is an important debate, and essential to advancing the structure of government and representation. There are a number of exciting possibilities that ought to be explored with respect to the concept.

What I have stated is that there is no guarantee that it will make for more stable or effective governments. It is an idea worth thinking about.

fixed election dates

Don't protect minority governments from falling within their mandates.

I'm not sure how the US got to the point it has only two parties with seats. It wasn't always the case. In 1854 the house was split almost evenly between the Democratic Party, American Party, Whig Party, and Republican Party. I don't think there is anything that actually restricts their system from having more than two parties. Other parties that have existed in the past just seemed to disintegrate in the US.

Back