352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

Onslaught of obtrusive advertising

reaperexpress

Member Bio
Reaction score
National Capital Région de la Capitale Nationale
In the past week or so, the amount of intrusive advertising has grown out of control. On desktop there are pop-up ads, and ads in the middle of the conversations (in addition to the ads on the top and bottom of threads). On mobile, ads pin themselves to the screen and take up nearly a quarter of the otherwise usable area.

I understand that UT needs to pay its bills, but the advertisements should not be so intrusive that they significantly degrade the experience of using the website. The pop-up ads, self-pinning ads and ads in the middle of threads are the worst offenders. The ads which at the top and bottom of pages are fine.

The absolute barrage of ads I now need to wade through has made it unpleasant to be on UT, which will obviously reduce the amount I will contribute here.

I'm not a fan of pop ups so we've never pursued them. That you're getting them is a problem. I'll look into it. Please post images here as I haven't seen them myself.

I'm not a fan of pop ups so we've never pursued them. That you're getting them is a problem. I'll look into it. Please post images here as I haven't seen them myself.
I'll let you know if I get another one and post a screenshot here. I was surprised to see it.

I noticed one today on mobile. If I see it again I'll screenshot and share.

Here are some screenshots of UT from the last few minutes.

Popup

Screenshot_20231023-235240.png

Literally the entire screen is ads
Screenshot_20231023-235321.png

The problematic one is the one pinned to the top of the screen which you need to actively interact with to regain access to your screen.

Seems Google is getting more aggressive in the way they are trying to make money from ads. I think we've fixed this. Let me know if they still show up.

Back