A

AlexisTO

Climate change expert muzzled
Federal scientist told not to speak about his novel
Government also axes 15 Kyoto research programs
Apr. 14, 2006. 07:40 AM
SUSAN DELACOURT
OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF

OTTAWA—The new, heavy communications hand of Conservative Ottawa has reached into the realm of fiction, with an Environment Canada scientist muzzled from speaking about his novel on climate change.

Mark Tushingham's new book is called Hotter than Hell, but yesterday he was plunged into the icy reality of the new Conservative communications regime, where ministers, MPs and the media are encountering strict new controls over the flow of information to the public.

Shortly before Tushingham was due to give a luncheon speech in Ottawa about his novel — a futuristic account of Canada and the U.S. at war over water resources in a globally warmed world — he received an email from the environment minister's office, warning him not to attend the event.

Paradoxically, the incident takes place during the same week the Conservatives unveiled new "whistleblower" protection, designed to shield outspoken public servants from intimidation and threats to their livelihood.

Also yesterday, the government said it was axing 15 research programs related to the Kyoto climate-change protocol and aimed at reducing the greenhouse gases thought to cause global warming.

Sandra Buckler, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's communications director, says the gag order against Tushingham did not come from the top and Harper told reporters yesterday he was in the dark about the incident.

But Harper then added, in a not-so-subtle warning to the public service: "We were elected on a particular platform. Our commitment to the people of Canada is to go ahead with that platform. That will include measures we're going to develop over the next year or so to deal with both pollution and greenhouse gases, and I obviously not only hope but expect that all elements of the bureaucracy will be working with us to achieve those objectives."

Environment Minister Rona Ambrose, in an email, said Tushingham's mistake was in billing himself as a government representative, though he only appeared as such on a Canadian Press advisory to the media about the event. Tushingham's book jacket and the promotional materials merely describe him as an Ottawa scientist. Neither Ambrose nor anyone in her department said they had problems with the scientific or any other premises behind the book.

Tushingham was also warned not to speak to reporters and spent much of yesterday in hiding, said his publisher, Elizabeth Margaris, head of DreamCatcher Publishing. Margaris flew into Ottawa from New Brunswick specifically to introduce her author at the luncheon, only to learn upon her arrival that he was not allowed to speak.

Biographical information in the book says that Tushingham obtained his doctorate in 1989 and "has worked on climate change and other environmental issues since 1981."

Canada has been unable to meet its Kyoto commitment to cut greenhouse gases and Harper, whose party has been much cooler to the accord than the Liberals, has said it is time for a new approach.

Environmentalists have asked the opposition to bring down the government if it abandons Canada's Kyoto commitment.

Margaris was visibly shaken by the gagging. "Isn't this outrageous?" Margaris said. "This has never happened to me before."

"It's a first for us, too," said Rosaleen Dickson, who organized the event at the National Press Club. It went ahead with a last-minute replacement speaker from the audience. A couple of dozen baffled guests were on hand, some of whom had bought the book but had to do without the author's signature.

Margaris was to get together with Tushingham later yesterday, but he told her he was lying low and cancelled that meeting. Tushingham and his wife were also planning to stay away from their home yesterday evening so the media couldn't find them, said Margaris.

"I just don't believe this," Margaris said. She said Tushingham is worried about losing his job.

The PMO insists that the information chill in Ottawa is more perceived than real — a product of a media culture that got too accustomed to the hyper-availability of former prime minister Paul Martin's regime.

Yet in Ottawa, everyone seems to have a story of lips being sealed, communications shut down or thwarted. Bureaucrats are talking about "the new normal" — a world where every utterance to outsiders or journalists can incur the wrath of the new government.

Ambrose abruptly cancelled an interview with a national columnist this week after her office had already warned she would not take questions on the issue of the Kyoto accord.

Ambrose calls this an unfortunate mixup, but it does fit with the tightly scripted, highly centralized communications style the PMO is trying to establish.

With files from Canadian Press

Five steps to Harper's prefect Canada.

Step one. Muzzle yourself, your ministers and public servants.

Step two. Tell the public as little as possible. The less they know, the better.

Step three. Give support too, and get support from your military.

Step four. Use the military to take control of the country.

Step five. Declair yourself El Presidenti.

You can now join the NAPC, (North American Presidents Club). A club devoted to the alienation of North American from the rest of the world.

I think in truth, that Canada abandoned its Kyoto commitments five minutes after signing the agreement. Our emissions today are 30% worse than they were in 1995. Canadians have little interest in controlling climate change, and are not willing to sacrifice their cars, jobs or lifestyles to comply with Kyoto. Warmer winters, longer growing cycles, melting icecap opening up northwest passage for development, etc...are benefits of climate change.

Oh the irony of the oil sands turning Alberta into a permanent Saudi Arabia. Desert that is.

he received an email from the environment minister's office, warning him not to attend the event.

I am more concerned about this action than I am about inaction on Kyoto. What possible reason could they have not to want Tushingham to speak at this function? Its an odd request. No, its more a command. Maybe that's what is so bothersome. A minister's office warning/ threatening someone worries me. Especially when the warning works. This kind of tactic could become standard practice in siliencing opinion that doesn't jive with government policy.

Warmer winters, longer growing cycles, melting icecap opening up northwest passage for development, etc...are benefits of climate change.

Properly stated, these COULD be the benefits of climate change. These supposed future benefits may, in fact, never materialize. As there is no model to test against, there is no way to know how climate change will alter local ecosystems, weather patterns and so on.

Even assuming that these benefits will materialize, what are the implications of a new Canadian breadbasket vis-a-vis displaced, hungry people elsewhere in North America and the world? What are the implications from a geopolitical perspective of a newly accessable Northwest passage? Would there be a crisis over our most valued commodity - water?

To assume environmental changes would be benefitial without taking consideration the larger picture of the global situation is foolhardy, to say the least.

AoD

Not to mention that every one of our major ports could be flooded (exlcuding Hamilton), along with our second and third largest cities...

Global warming would be an unparalelled economic disaster.

To assume environmental changes would be benefitial
And yet it's perfectly acceptable to assume and predict dire and disasterous results? Environmental change is a two way street, some will benefit, some will suffer. This has always been the way; during the last ice age, man and animal had to adapt and relocate, many perised, but many benefited from the environmental change.

Regardless of negative or positive consequneces, predictions of environmental disaster do not move most Canadians to action. You can have David Suzuki lecturing for months, and the average Canadian will not care.

I agree. It's a pity, because it could lead to untold suffering...

And yet it's perfectly acceptable to assume and predict dire and disasterous results? Environmental change is a two way street, some will benefit, some will suffer. This has always been the way; during the last ice age, man and animal had to adapt and relocate, many perised, but many benefited from the environmental change.

Excuse me, but do you care to elaborate what's the timescale of climatic changes during the ice ages, with respect to the state of human civilization (however little of that there is) at the time? Equating the two epochs is simplification to the point of lunacy. Yes, men always have the capacity to adapt and relocate - but to compare the nomadic, pre-agricultural society to modern, global and technological civilization, dependent on agriculture and infrastructure is a huge stretch. Sure global warming probably won't result in the extinction of H. sapins - but I don't call such a baseline "desirable" by any measure.

Regardless of negative or positive consequneces, predictions of environmental disaster do not move most Canadians to action. You can have David Suzuki lecturing for months, and the average Canadian will not care.

Reality or otherwise, you're using it as a justification for inaction. A case of self-fulfilling prophecy, if you ask me.

AoD

Darned thread title mindworms...

When I'm with you,
It doesn't matter where we are,
Or what we're doin',
I'm with you and that's all that matters.

Time passes much too quickly,
When we're together laughin',
I wish I could sing it to you, oh oh,
I wish I could sing it to you.

Wo wo wo wo wo wo, wo-----------o
Wo wo wo wo wo wo wo------------o
Mostly in silence, mmmmmm, silence,

When I kiss you, I feel a thousand different feelings,
The color of chills, all over my body,
And when I feel them, I quickly try and decide which one
To try to put into words, wo wo, try to put into words.

Wo wo wo wo wo wo wo--------o
Wo wo wo wo wo wo wo--------o
Mostly in silence, silence.

Only the beginning, what I want to feel forever, yeah,
Only the beginning, only just the start,
I gotta get you into my life, mama,
Got to get you next to me

Back