News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 940     1 

Office Space Conversions

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
There should be a place to gather the increasing number of proposals to convert commercial uses to residential, hotel and increasingly cultural/post-secondary.

Calgary just unveiled an incentive program to convert commercial to university/college space and it looks like the University of Calgary’s Architecture and Planning School is moving downtown.

From what I remember reading, Toronto has a legal problem when it comes to converting downtown commercial office properties to residential. There’s a law that prohibits any loss of office property in the downtown core. I forgot where I came across it but it was mentioned as one of the challenges to converting buildings over in Toronto.

From what I remember reading, Toronto has a legal problem when it comes to converting downtown commercial office properties to residential. There’s a law that prohibits any loss of office property in the downtown core. I forgot where I came across it but it was mentioned as one of the challenges to converting buildings over in Toronto.
I believe that's a city wide policy?

This is what you're discussing:

1704015664565.png

Its achieved mostly through the Official Plan, but may also be partially enacted in some Secondary Plans.

Council can change these for any site via an application to amend; however, Planning is unlikely to deliver significant approvals w/o a clear change in policy.

It does not apply to every office space in the City, but does apply to most in the core.

Toronto has approved conversions in the past, many in fact, though these predate the above.

Conversions of office to residential occurred on both the N/E and S/E corners of Yonge and Wellesley, the S/E Corner of Yonge/Davisville, King East, just east of Yonge, south side, as well as in Thorncliffe, at the corner of Overlea/Millwood.

All of the above happened more than 20 years ago.

Are there cities that have done well with turning offices into homes or other uses? And what changes in Toronto's policies might help make these conversions easier, given the legal challenges?
I know that Calgary is the leader in conversions and in fact has expanded the range of uses that qualify for grants to include arts facilities and post-secondary education. For example the Architecture department for the University of Calgary is going into a renovated office tower downtown.

Cross posting this from its dedicated thread in the Buildings section. Will also add that a 1950s office building in central Windsor is being converted into a boutique hotel.

Landmark Toronto office tower granted new life as residence after special exemption​

The plan would see the former CPR building at Yonge and King streets house 127 condos along with retail and restaurant space on the lower levels.

https://www.thestar.com/real-estate...b3e4ec3748a.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=ymbii
https://www.thestar.com/real-estate...b3e4ec3748a.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=ymbii

Given the size of the old CPR office building, this conversion makes a lot of sense. I’m glad to see that some of the original details will be restored.

Back