News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 911     1 

NW corner Yonge and Dundas (formerly the Gap, future condo site, ?)

my goodness......the beat goes on.....

That's a fairly small wedge of property surrounded by the Atrium and sitting atop a subway passage which would make it a messy site to work with. Perhaps Yonge between Edward & Elm? There's plenty of development potential there.

Thanks Urbandreamer, great news indeed. I had a cousin from NYC visit a couple weeks ago (a bit of an urban enthusiast himself), and he commented on how the NW corner of Y/D can still have such a (non-historically important) 2 storey building on it, despite everything else around it being so built-up. Y/D square will be fully transformed with this, and that multi-storied metal advertisement mess will finally be gone.

Ideally, to me, this site would feature architectural integration w/the Atrium, I think that would look interesting.

This should include the current Guess just to the north.

Other thought, there remains a surface subway entrance on that all too narrow sidewalk, somehow creating a new subway exit internal to this development would make sense.

The sidewalks here are tiny and I can't imagine where they'd put (or have room) for much here, including a parking entrance, or any underground parking at all.

I sort of wish they'd just leave the current building there. It's very handsome. I don't want to end up with some awkward shoe-horned-into-an-existing-site building like the AMC 24 / 10 Dundas East crap we got across the street.

On the sidewalk note, I'm surprised the BIA hasn't tried to expand the Dundas sidewalks between Victoria and Bay and make that little block of Dundas streetcar only... it would be amazing for pedestrian and street life... plus restaurants like Johnny Burger, Joeys and SpringRolls could have much bigger patios (or even just patios that exist)!

Very interesting development proposal. I hope they compliment the Atrium, as opposed to just trying to bury it behind whatever this development ends up being.

I also hope that if they do make an indoor connection to the subway station, that they don't make it too long of a walk to get to it from street level. The connection in 10 Dundas East is a pain in the ass to get from street level to the subway. Hopefully something like the entrance at the southwest corner of Queen and Yonge. Still incorporated into the building, but not a pain in the ass to get to the subway from.

^ LOL. My least favourite Dundas subway issue is how you have to walk underneath to cross the underground walkway to get from the southbound to the northbound platform. But apart from that Toronto's subway entrances/connections aren't so bad. In fact, Toronto's transit entrances/connections would be considered simple by world standards. For example, Hong Kong's MTR stations can have around a dozen different entrances/exits and connection walkways may take 5 or more minutes to navigate. (Not to turn this into a transit debate, but I do prefer HK's transit system and it is more advanced)

Last edited:
^ LOL. My least favourite Dundas subway issue is how you have to walk underneath to cross the underground walkway to get from the southbound to the northbound platform. But apart from that Toronto's subway entrances/connections aren't so bad. In fact, Toronto's transit entrances/connections would be considered simple by world standards. For example, Hong Kong's MTR stations can have around a dozen different entrances/exits and connection walkways may take 5 or minutes to navigate. (Not to turn this into a transit debate, but I do prefer HK's transit system and it is more advanced)

I just prefer having as direct of a route as possible to the platform. That's why I definitely prefer sidewalk entrances, assuming of course the sidewalk is wide enough (for example, the northeast entrance at Osgoode). But that's just a personal preference.

Believe it or not, the BNS/Gap/ForeverXXI is historically designated (not just listed, but designated)--though I suspect more as a planning tool than anything. Unfortunately, that may raise a ruckus avout "toothless heritage laws" and whatnot once the word spreads of a designated landmark on the redevelopment chopping block...

What the blazes are you people talking about???? All I know is a slightly art deco building on that corner...I click on your blue attachments...I'm no computer person at all....what are you talking about that is so coooool? Please, tell me or show me the way!

Back